Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I want a kindling wedge!
I’ve seen nail kickers for removing nails, and I’ve used a smoothing hammer to drive spikes for landscape Timbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sarah Cenia posted:

what's the coolest air hammer accessory out there?

I just got a rat a tat and I need more excuses to rat n tat with it lol

Hearing protection.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

wesleywillis posted:

Hearing protection.

Good point, also glasses. Air hammer work can get messy

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

The 18" long bits that astro pneumatic makes. The extra reach is a god send a lot of the time. Also, if you are rocking a spring retainer, a quick change chuck is a worthwhile upgrade.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought a cheap set of hammers and dollies, wasn't finished very nicely so I polished them up myself. Will have to see how it stands up to actual usage, the dollies look like they might be cast iron. There's the original surface on another dolly too for comparison.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Suggestions for snap ring pliers? I have a cheap set with interchangeable jaws that has worked okay, but I've been fighting with the pins on the jaws being slightly oversized (and not fitting into holes on snap rings) and keeping the interchangeable jaws on the handles when they're in use since the jaws aren't positively retained in any way.

Been fighting with my current set on a project, is there anything worthwhile that isn't $SnapOn money?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'd just use some sandpaper

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got the Channellock set that I mention every time this comes up. I mostly bought it for the biggest size that I used for some turbo dis/assembly work, but they're way nicer than the cheaper set of Craftsman ones I have with the interchangeable tips. They weren't cheap, but not overly expensive either.

https://a.co/d/aPkwPzt

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I am not the biggest shill for Ryobi-branded tools since I use them all day for work, but Home Depot has a pretty killer deal for batteries right now. 2 pack of the regular 4 amp hour batteries with a charger for $99, plus a free tool from a list which can also be another, different 2 4ah battery pack.

4 large tool batteries for $25 apiece is real good.

Splitting hairs, these are the regular output 4ah batteries and not the high output ones - it’s kinda snake oil between the two IMO. If you want a free tool instead of the battery avoid their fine knife, I’ve had two of those cheapo ones die before my boss caved and bought the more expensive one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In Canada the deal is one 4ah battery and charger plus one tool, or one more battery. for 149

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 8, 2023

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Powershift posted:

In Canada the deal is one 4ah battery and charger plus one tool, or one more battery. for 149

The deals here have somehow become even more garbage since the pandemic.

I need to make a trip down south and hit up Harbor Freight/HD/Menards :gbsmith:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is there a decent namebrand pair of safety wire pliers out there, that's also a reasonable price?

I hate my Harbor Freight ones. They're very hard to lock, and they don't like to hold onto the wire.

Google (and Amazon) seem to mostly, only pull up cheapo models, or $120+ aircraft tools.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Going through some old things and ran across my dad's drafting stuff, probably from college or early 70s

Bunch of weird calculus specific slide rules and other stuff made in like, Denmark and Japan, but this one really stood out. It lives in a manilla envelope with like six different guys names on it crossed out, presumably this got passed around

1 River Rd in Schenectady is GE's long time research campus

This was probably used to develop/design the original mammograms which used a high energy photographic process that was later chemically developed in a traditional dark room

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 12, 2023

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Need a metric hex socket set that goes between 2mm and 10mm (the stuff I'm working with has a bunch of 2mm and 2.5mm fasteners that need to be torqued accurately). Any suggestions on a decent set that isn't too pricey? The HF stuff only goes down to 3mm.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nohearum posted:

Need a metric hex socket set that goes between 2mm and 10mm (the stuff I'm working with has a bunch of 2mm and 2.5mm fasteners that need to be torqued accurately). Any suggestions on a decent set that isn't too pricey? The HF stuff only goes down to 3mm.

Maybe some Bondhus keys: https://www.zoro.com/bondhus-9-piece-metric-l-shape-hex-key-set-12299-12299/i/G3610461/

Eklinds are fine too and sold at a lot of hardware stores.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nitsuga posted:

Maybe some Bondhus keys: https://www.zoro.com/bondhus-9-piece-metric-l-shape-hex-key-set-12299-12299/i/G3610461/

Eklinds are fine too and sold at a lot of hardware stores.

Sockets, not keys.

I've never seen a 2mm socket. You can find 2.5 in some tiny sets, but nothing smaller. You can get nut drivers in those sizes, but no torque attachment.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nohearum posted:

I have the one from ifixit, it's decent.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I'm assuming he meant internal hex. Even a M1 nut is 2.5mm. It's going to be easier to get a decent hex bit set vs sockets on a budget. Eg. Wiha 79256 and pair it with a torque screwdriver or a 1/4 or 3/8 square to hex bit adapter if you want to use a torque wrench.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Tekton makes a 1/4 drive set, but it goes 2-8mm. They don't seem to make a 10mm in 1/4 drive to match, only 3/8. And their 3/8 drive sockets start at 3mm.

They also don't have a 2.5mm, you almost might have to look at a bit socket and a hex bit set?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it's just for torquing, maybe get a 3mm or 4mm socket with a piece of 1mm bar stock and glue it in one or more sides depending

Alternately, get someone to 3d print you a 4mm socket and line the inside edges with 1mm bar stock

What the hell are you building that requires accurate torque specs at 2mm and not just using loctite

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You can get a nice computer/phone repair set and use adapters to use the 2mm with a torque wrench I guess but I have no idea how much that would throw it off accuracy wise

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
https://www.wihatools.com/products/hex-bit-sockets

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I need a tubing flaring kit, mainly for ISO/Bubble flares. I've used a million of the garbage-tier kits. What's a good one?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

0toShifty posted:

I need a tubing flaring kit, mainly for ISO/Bubble flares. I've used a million of the garbage-tier kits. What's a good one?

I got this thing and it’s quite good: TGR Professional Brake Line Flaring Tool- 45 Degree Set - Single, Bubble, and Double Flares https://a.co/d/101fYdt

Available under many generic brands like any other fine Chinese product. You can also get 37 degree dies.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks all going to try a Wiha hex set I found online for fairly cheap. Hopefully it's not fake...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

0toShifty posted:

Buy the nicest one you can afford.

This isn't for you since you're already on the other end of this. Once you make one brake line it's over for you. You're going to replace entire cars worth from here on out. Once you've seen how easy it can be and the condition of a three decade old brake line you'll do it as a part of that cars first brake job.

Next time I get a project car I'll probably get one that is currently around $250. K tool, maatercool, Eastwood something like that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Worth noting, I bought a "does all the kinds of flares" kit off Amazon years ago and had to use it finally a few months ago and it sucked poo poo at making ISO bubble flares. Like so bad I gave up. I bought a premade parts store line that was long enough and had the right diameter bubble flare, cut the other end off, put the nuts I needed on it and flared the other end to the spec I needed instead of buying another tool that also would suck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I often contend that many DIYers are put off doing brake bending/flaring because they rent a tool from Autozone or wherever that is clapped out beyond recognition. It is quite a revelation when you use a decent tool.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Between a decent tool and using cunifer I have no objection to doing brake lines anymore except when I forget to put the nut on before flaring.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

kastein posted:

Between a decent tool and using cunifer I have no objection to doing brake lines anymore except when I forget to put the nut on before flaring.

This is the way. I have no idea who the gently caress buys cheap brake line when the cunifer is so much easier to work with. Plus it's easier on the flaring tools.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Youtuber Fitzee has got this tool, or jig that is basically two pipes of different sizes that are butted together and welded, with enough space to insert 18ga sheet metal between them. He uses this to make roundovers and similar features. It looks like a real simple and handy tool, but does it have an actual name?

Well poo poo. I found this video, by Fitzee himself on making said tool. So th s whole post is now pointless. But I will still post it for sharings sake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uz9DqmP8PI

A pipe anvil is what it's called. I could've used one of those recently.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kastein posted:

That's not my main problem. My problem is letting the nut fall down before I do the bend and it can't make it around it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I HATE it when I do that. I've mostly learned not to at this point.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's not my main problem. My problem is letting the nut fall down before I do the bend and it can't make it around it.

Electrical tape, happened to me too many times to count.

StormDrain posted:

Next time I get a project car I'll probably get one that is currently around $250. K tool, maatercool, Eastwood something like that.
Are the copies of the Eastwood and K tool that poorly made? Some of them look identical in the pictures, with everyone seeming to use contract manufacturers for everything I was thinking they were all from the same factory.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My experience with Eastwood is they are selling the identical generic tools, they just have support and a warranty. Sometimes that’s worth the extra 10-20% over buying it from a rando on eBay. I will usually save the money.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I bought this one and it slaps. Per recommendations from AI.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-24364

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I think I only have a couple of things from Eastwood, a DA polisher and a Bead roller come to mind. They both have a general sense of quality to me a step above mid grade HF tools. I'm not sure how to put it but in general they are of a good quality, the holes line up, threads are clean. For the bead roller it doesn't deflect much.

You know when you're using a lovely tool and it is getting the job done and you think it's a difficult job, then you try it again with a name brand tool and it goes a lot smoother because of qualities of the tools you didn't know were important or how to recognize them? These tools have those qualities.

I'd be cautious on cheap dies not being sized right and having a hard time getting fittings to fit and seal properly. And I don't think I could measure them or figure it out before I spent hours and wasted material.

I'm not project farm, as you can see.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Harbor freight can always be a wild ride, but the transport dollies and the little franklin carts are goddamn legit. Bought this little guy https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-x-28-in-aluminum-folding-platform-truck-58301.html and it fucks. Moved almost my entire apartment with this thing besides the large furniture, and honestly if I could wrangle it on there myself and strapped it in I probably could have done that to. Stable as hell, folds up easily, if anything I should have put the steering wheels in the back and not the front (or got a set of casters to have it zero turn. Was gonna orignally go for a regular dolly but this thing held more by itself easily, could take laundry baskets and oddball stuff, and folds up to be almost nothing.

100% would buy again, or buy a slightly bigger one. Thing just became a staple in my household and will be great for getting things around. And it didnt put much stress on my lovely joints. Only thing I might complain about is that I would put bigger wheels on it which eh, likely just silly thoughts. Imagining it with big air tires lol. But a legit complaint is that the handle could be more secure because it does have some bend to it when pushing, much more when pulling.

Much like the toolboxes (I miss my tool cart I had when I worked at my last shop I left and sold) a legit surprise that helped me out a ton this week while moving.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Harbor freight can always be a wild ride, but the transport dollies and the little franklin carts are goddamn legit. Bought this little guy https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-x-28-in-aluminum-folding-platform-truck-58301.html and it fucks. Moved almost my entire apartment with this thing besides the large furniture, and honestly if I could wrangle it on there myself and strapped it in I probably could have done that to. Stable as hell, folds up easily, if anything I should have put the steering wheels in the back and not the front (or got a set of casters to have it zero turn. Was gonna orignally go for a regular dolly but this thing held more by itself easily, could take laundry baskets and oddball stuff, and folds up to be almost nothing.

100% would buy again, or buy a slightly bigger one. Thing just became a staple in my household and will be great for getting things around. And it didnt put much stress on my lovely joints. Only thing I might complain about is that I would put bigger wheels on it which eh, likely just silly thoughts. Imagining it with big air tires lol. But a legit complaint is that the handle could be more secure because it does have some bend to it when pushing, much more when pulling.

Much like the toolboxes (I miss my tool cart I had when I worked at my last shop I left and sold) a legit surprise that helped me out a ton this week while moving.

at work i frequently use a Magna-Cart (brand) Flatform Cart (model) which is similar but plastic. the wheels fold up under it, so it sits flat when collapsed, which i like cause i usually keep it in my trunk along with one of those collapsible "insta-crate" things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Raluek posted:

at work i frequently use a Magna-Cart (brand) Flatform Cart (model) which is similar but plastic. the wheels fold up under it, so it sits flat when collapsed, which i like cause i usually keep it in my trunk along with one of those collapsible "insta-crate" things

that looks nice, just would be worried it wouldnt take as much abuse since its plastic. I abused the absolute poo poo out of that harbor freight cart and it held up hell of a lot better then I expected