Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Kind of a tool, but any recommendations for shop rags? I've got about 100 of the cheap pink/red rags from over the years, looking for something a little better for engine work. Not happy after I cleaned out the oil screen of the last motor I rebuilt and it was full of pink fuzz. I've heard of people using old cotton clothing.

Figured I'd ask in here too, recommendations for ultrasonic cleaners? Leaning towards the chicago one from harbor freight, just need an excuse to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Broke my 1/2" drive breaker bar trying to unbolt a caliper bracket, website says its rated for 350 ft/lbs...

Does Princess Auto still do over counter exchanges without a receipt?

I am thinking so.

What kind of noise did that make??

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Breaking a powerfist™ breaker bar? I don't believe this.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

velocross posted:

Figured I'd ask in here too, recommendations for ultrasonic cleaners? Leaning towards the chicago one from harbor freight, just need an excuse to pick it up.

It sucks, I have had the $80 version for a couple weeks and it's packed up to be returned tomorrow. :(

It just... doesn't clean much. It'll get dead skin off of glasses, but that's about it. Grease, oil, tough dirt, sticky stuff? Nope.

I bought it to clean industrial oil off of jewelry supplies that I'd normally put in a rock tumbler with hot soapy water; the problem with the tumbler is they all hit each other a lot, and an ultrasonic cleaner is what the pros recommend instead. It got some off, because the water changed color, but not nearly enough, my fingers still got blackened during assembly.

Sorry!

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Hf ultrasonic cleaner is garbage don't bother

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I would like to know how you broke a breaker bar on a caliper bracket bolt? They are supposed to be really tight, but they come off as part of a brake service so they are removed and re-installed on a semi-regular basis.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

velocross posted:

Kind of a tool, but any recommendations for shop rags? I've got about 100 of the cheap pink/red rags from over the years, looking for something a little better for engine work. Not happy after I cleaned out the oil screen of the last motor I rebuilt and it was full of pink fuzz. I've heard of people using old cotton clothing.

I like the Kimberly Clark X60 Wypalls (or higher grade X70, etc.).

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

PBCrunch posted:

I would like to know how you broke a breaker bar on a caliper bracket bolt? They are supposed to be really tight, but they come off as part of a brake service so they are removed and re-installed on a semi-regular basis.

Caliper yes, Caliper bracket? Not so often.

Heck, most cars it only has to come off if you are servicing the hub/cv. Most brake jobs don't involve taking it off.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mighty Horse posted:

Most brake jobs don't involve taking it off.

Depends on if you can shave the rotor while it's on the vehicle or not. If not, that bracket's probably coming off.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Found the receipt! The exchange was a breeze.

It didn't really make any noise at all, I thought I loosened the bolt and was all "oh boy! " until I took a look. 15 Canadian winters will take a toll, the bleeder screws have pretty much fossilized into the caliper.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Mighty Horse posted:

Caliper yes, Caliper bracket? Not so often.

Heck, most cars it only has to come off if you are servicing the hub/cv. Most brake jobs don't involve taking it off.

American cars I guess. Every import I have ever worked on requires removal of the caliper bracket to remove the rotor.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Found the receipt! The exchange was a breeze.

Princess auto are pretty good at tracking purchases with your phone number. If it's in your history they'd process it without a receipt.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

PBCrunch posted:

American cars I guess. Every import I have ever worked on requires removal of the caliper bracket to remove the rotor.

I work almost strictly on imports and have never had to take off the bracket to remove the rotor.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Depends on the caliper bracket style. I've seen a lot that don't capture the rotor ('90 and earlier Jeep XJ, Teves caliper style Jeep WJs, some Dodges, Hondas, etc) and some that do as they're a full wraparound bracket to improve stiffness - Akebono caliper style Jeep WJs and my 01 Dodge 2500 van (8 lug wheels, 4000lb capacity) fall in this category among others.

In general I like the wraparound ones more, they seem better engineered, but it sure is more of a pain in the rear end to do a brake job.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm moving from my house back into an apartment in town, then I'll be moving out of state, but I'm not really sure what to do with my tools. I need to be able to get stuff up and down stairs, so I don't think my big Craftsman chest is going to do the trick for me. About the only thing I can think to do is get that big Stanley wheeled 50-gal tote and a bunch of individual organizers for things like my sockets and wrenches. Anyone have better suggestions?

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm moving from my house back into an apartment in town, then I'll be moving out of state, but I'm not really sure what to do with my tools. I need to be able to get stuff up and down stairs, so I don't think my big Craftsman chest is going to do the trick for me. About the only thing I can think to do is get that big Stanley wheeled 50-gal tote and a bunch of individual organizers for things like my sockets and wrenches. Anyone have better suggestions?

Let the bidding start at $100!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think there's an old wives' tale about this one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Put the big stuff in storage for now before moving out of state, bring the essentials in a small tool box, and get a tool bag for when you actually need to take things out of the apartment so you don't carry everything.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A bunch of cheap plastic toolboxes, sorted by task, may serve you well until you can get your big box out of hock/storage.

This way, you only have to lug around what you actually need for each job.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

grover posted:

A bunch of cheap plastic toolboxes, sorted by task, may serve you well until you can get your big box out of hock/storage.

This, either organized by task or by type, like all metric sockets on rails in one box and standard sockets on rails in another box.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Finally got my crowsfoot wrenches. Ordered them january 27th(!)

Fit and finish is nice, but not perfect. I don't have any other "KS Tools" so time'll show what they're up to.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

bolind posted:

Finally got my crowsfoot wrenches. Ordered them january 27th(!)

Fit and finish is nice, but not perfect. I don't have any other "KS Tools" so time'll show what they're up to.

They're worth it. Just remember to calculate for the longer arm when using them on a torque wrench.

Hmmm, spændende om Tryg vil forsikre den grafikdriver ;)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, supposedly the SOP is to just make sure it's at a 90 degree angle to the torque wrench, that's close enough for almost all applications.

Jeg ville ønske grafikdriveren var forsikret, for nu er den gået i udu... :)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've never seen them used, I don't think my dad ever had a set, and therefore have no idea how or why you would use those.

e: makes perfect sense looking at it that way, thanks

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 7, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So you can use a torque wrench on something you can never get a socket on, like a pipe fitting or similar.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

metallicaeg posted:

I've never seen them used, I don't think my dad ever had a set, and therefore have no idea how or why you would use those.

e: makes perfect sense looking at it that way, thanks
They're also handy when working in very tight places, as it lets you adjust the geometry a bit as you contort for leverage. All-in-all, a very nice tool to keep in your toolbox.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Good for o2 sensors.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

grover posted:

I used to do something similar to this. I have a whole pile of tool boxes sorted by type (wrenches in one, socket wrenches in another, a "general purpose" box, special tools, etc). Way too much poo poo to lug all of it down a bunch of stairs every time I wanted to do something. I would determine what I'd be most likely to need for whatever job I was doing, then loot the boxes for the needed items. Then I'd throw everything in a 5 gallon bucket or two (free from work), and take those down with me. I always had to run back a few times for things I ended up needing that I didn't put in the bucket though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

velocross posted:

I got mine from Home_Spa_Outlet on ebay. I bought the DSA150SE

I can't find it on there now but it was perfect. They do have the 100 and the 200 though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSA100SE-SK...#ht_5786wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSA100SE-SK...#ht_5786wt_1163

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

grover posted:

They're also handy when working in very tight places, as it lets you adjust the geometry a bit as you contort for leverage. All-in-all, a very nice tool to keep in your toolbox.

Yep, I need them to take the SU carbs off my Rover V8.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

stoko posted:

I work almost strictly on imports and have never had to take off the bracket to remove the rotor.

I have to remove the brackets on my 2001 Legacy to get the rotors off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So, I ordered myself some more cheap toolchests from Halfords to tidy stuff up into, and not only did they completely fail to deliver them when they were meant to (Note - if someone pays extra for Saturday delivery, they specifically want it delivered on a Saturday!), but when I finally got them (by going and picking them up from the deopt), they'd managed to damage all four of them.

It's not that loving complicated, guys.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

So, I ordered myself some more cheap toolchests from Halfords to tidy stuff up into, and not only did they completely fail to deliver them when they were meant to (Note - if someone pays extra for Saturday delivery, they specifically want it delivered on a Saturday!), but when I finally got them (by going and picking them up from the deopt), they'd managed to damage all four of them.

It's not that loving complicated, guys.

Negotiated a further 50% refund on what I paid (having bought them at 60% off in the first place) and I'll knock the worst of the damage out myself

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I never had luck with jacks, especially with big fat rear end trucks, Torin, HF, sears, etc.

I want to get a Milwaukee model 40, but that's too much coin for me until I get my own shop or garage setup first :(

I'm going to roll with the 4 ton HF floor jack tomorrow and see how that works on a suspension job I got to do tomorrow.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
I am casually looking at buying scan tool software from AutoEnginuity, specfically with the GM expansion: http://www.autoenginuity.com/index.html

Anybody here use this? I think for the price it is a good deal, although it won't be something you can put in the toolbox.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

porkfriedrice posted:

I am casually looking at buying scan tool software from AutoEnginuity, specfically with the GM expansion: http://www.autoenginuity.com/index.html

Anybody here use this? I think for the price it is a good deal, although it won't be something you can put in the toolbox.

What are you using it for? I have an Innova 3130 that I bought for that reason but I rarely use it since I got Torque. I don't think it can actuate bidirectional controls but other than that it's immensely powerful. And between it and the required dongle I only paid $35. I'm fairly certain either can read GM-specific codes, too.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Aluminum floor jack recommendations? My HF 3ton finally died and I can't bring myself to buy another. Anyone used a Torin/OTC/Arcan aluminum jack before? I have a Arcan steen jack (cosco) and it works amazing.

Cheap code reader recommendations? My HF one walked off :(. I just need it to pull basic codes from our randoms cars.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

the spyder posted:

Cheap code reader recommendations? My HF one walked off :(. I just need it to pull basic codes from our randoms cars.
Android smartphone + $20 chinese bluetooth OBDII reader + Torque software is the best. Or if you don't have a droid, BT OBDII + anything compatible with it will be a winner.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

porkfriedrice posted:

I know a bunch of guys who use it on 6.5 diesels, it's a cheaper alternative to something like a GM Tech II or whatever is the latest and greatest tech tool at the dealerships:

You can pull and record/playback all the usual data points but with the GM module you can jump in and turn off individual fuel injectors to trouble shoot rough idles, activate individual solenoids in Automatic transmissions, there's a big bag of tricks there.

You can even override the ECU and make your own maps but you still require a GM Tech device to flash ECU's and such I believe.

If you are getting the older version make sure it's the USB dongle version and not the serial dongle version, the licensing of the software is kinda locked with the serial dongle version. THe USB version you can transfer it from computer to computer fairly easily if I recall.

Speaking of tools, I think I'm going to pick up one of those Power Probe III's, heck for the price, I'll get 2 as gifts, $100 it's one of the nicer all in one testers around , I usually use a meter, a probe and a live fused line to test stuff, but this thing will combine it all into one, plus it does recording of values as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

CornHolio posted:

What are you using it for? I have an Innova 3130 that I bought for that reason but I rarely use it since I got Torque. I don't think it can actuate bidirectional controls but other than that it's immensely powerful. And between it and the required dongle I only paid $35. I'm fairly certain either can read GM-specific codes, too.

Well, I may or may not be having an issue with my distributor on my GMC truck. (P1345) I need to be able to view the camshaft retard readings, which the basic code readers won't show. Also in case I need to do a CASE relearn, which most code readers aren't capable either. Having the ability to read ABS codes would also be nice, since the ABS light has been on since I did some front end work (I replaced the speed sensor on the side I was working on, light is still on and I have no idea why). I already have this scanner: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3109-Trilingual-EOBD-Scan/dp/B004CGODSI/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1336944493&sr=1-3 , but its capabilities are limted.