Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

Any recommendations for a cheap (possibly DIY) bead roller? I have seen a few DIY examples, but many require a lathe and/or welder which I don't have. I want to roll a bead on some 1.5" aluminum piping (coolant line) that is pre-bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have 50' of air hose I need to spool up. What's the best way to go about that? I will have to mount into cinderblock.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

revmoo posted:

I have 50' of air hose I need to spool up. What's the best way to go about that? I will have to mount into cinderblock.

Cheaply a garden hose reel would work just fine. If you buy a house-mount one you could put it pretty much anywhere.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

revmoo posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-retractable-air-water-hose-reel-with-3-8-eighth-inch-hose-93897.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And if you don't want to go with a "proper" retractable reel and old steel wheel bolted to the wall makes a fine place to wrap up an air or water hose.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Man I really want to go with a proper retractable setup but that is about double what I feel good about spending on such a thing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That Harbor Freight reel is pretty decent and ridiculously cheap compared with most. A reel off the ceiling is awesome.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm slowly convincing myself. It would pair nicely with my existing 50' hose because I could run air anywhere on my property for home repairs and such.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

revmoo posted:

I'm slowly convincing myself. It would pair nicely with my existing 50' hose because I could run air anywhere on my property for home repairs and such.

I know what you mean. I have a 20 or 30m air hose but it's so much of a pain in the rear end to wrangle I never use it. I just drag the compressor over and use the lovely plastic curly hose. Yes I can't remember. it's been a while.
It's hard to justify the $130+ for a reel setup. That price being the cheap and dodgies at supercheap.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
No poo poo as we're talking about it a coupon just popped into my inbox with that reel for $69.99.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
HF is reading your mind now.

What are peoples thoughts on those impact guns for kicking off fasteners and other things quick? I am thinking about buying this, just make it easier to zip on and off bolts.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203866721?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&N=5yc1vZc29xZ9u&R=203866721#.UUJQQVemjRM

I already have 3 batteries, 3/8th drill and the music box for Bosch, so I really don't feel like I need more batteries?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's an impact driver not an impact gun. It will work for the smallest of bolts but is otherwise worthless for car-related things. It's great around the house or for building a deck, however.

E: You want something like this for car stuff: http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-iwht1...CFa9aMgodQxQAwA

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Speaking of awesome gadget tools on sale at HF this week: http://www.harborfreight.com/15-HP-Electric-Pole-Saw-68862.html (Coupon for $69 this week)

Not sure if I really like the style, but the price is right; the chainsaw on mine can be removed from the pole and used like a normal small chainsaw which is nice for chopping up the branches once they're on the ground. I don't think you can do that with this one.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 15, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

grover posted:

Speaking of awesome gadget tools on sale at HF this week: http://www.harborfreight.com/15-HP-Electric-Pole-Saw-68862.html (Coupon for $69 this week)

Not sure if I really like the style, but the price is right; the chainsaw on mine can be removed from the pole and used like a normal small chainsaw which is nice for chopping up the branches once they're on the ground.

God dammit Grover you just cost me $70.

(thanks)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hypnolobster posted:

That Harbor Freight reel is pretty decent and ridiculously cheap compared with most. A reel off the ceiling is awesome.

Yup. I've got one centrally located in my garage, ceiling mounted. Its awesome!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
While we're vaguely on the subject I bought one of these ages ago and finally mounteed it to the wall in my garage (with the spare mounting block on the wall in the backyard)

That poo poo is awesome. Works fine with 240V extension cords too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000225E5/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 these are my favorite cable organizers - I've got two for my 240v extension cords, they're ~70 and ~100 feet long and made from 10/3-WG heavy duty cable so they get pretty full even so.

It's nice to be able to just plug the cord in (twistlok) and hold the bucket while walking in the direction I need the cord to go to unreel it, then when I'm done, unplug it and stand on the corners of the bucket base while spinning the handle to reel it back in.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

FutureJoust 3000!

~Coxy posted:

While we're vaguely on the subject I bought one of these ages ago and finally mounteed it to the wall in my garage (with the spare mounting block on the wall in the backyard)

That poo poo is awesome. Works fine with 240V extension cords too.

There is no way in hell I'd use that with a welder. The inductance would pull the earth off its axis. It'd be great for other things though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's alternating current though so does it really make that much of a magnetic field?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh hell yeah it does. The field will switch directions 120 times a second, but it'll still be there, and just as strong.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Surely that applies equally to any winder though, or even just looping your cables around your elbow.

I don't weld much but I'll try remember for next time anyway.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Surely that applies equally to any winder though, or even just looping your cables around your elbow.

I don't weld much but I'll try remember for next time anyway.

Absolutely. Anything that draws a lot of current if I have to use a too-long cable I actually resort to leaving it in a jumble just so it can't set up a field. Having inductance in a circuit can royally gently caress things like a welder, hi-fi/PA equipment or whatever.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kastein posted:

Oh hell yeah it does. The field will switch directions 120 times a second, but it'll still be there, and just as strong.
That's not a single coil, though, you have both supply and return current. A coiled extension cord is actually two coils each with current flowing in the opposite direction, and the inductance comes pretty close to cancelling itself out. Now, it's not *perfect* because the coils have some slight separation and all, but it's so close and 60Hz is such a lot frequency that you don't really have to worry much about much air-core inductance no matter what you do with the cable. Just don't tie it in knots, that's bad for the cable mechanically.

Incidentally, this is why Cat5 uses twisted pair. The twists are designed specifically for the standard frequencies used and help ensure the magnetic fields cancel out better.

Edit: multi-conductor cables max out about 400A because they get too big to be practical. When you start to get much bigger (800A+), it becomes impractical to use single conductors, and even to use a single piece of conduit to hold them all. So you end up with 2 or more pieces of (usually around 4" diameter) conduit, each with a portion of the cable. Electric code prohibits sticking all the A-phase conductors in one conduit and B-phase in another because inductive heating from the resulting magnetic field can (and will) heat that conduit until it glows. The requirement is that each conduit be balanced so that the fields cancel. There's still some local heating and for some applications, like elevators, you can often hear the individual conductors slapping around inside the conduits when big loads start/stop, but for the most part it cancels out.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 15, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

grover posted:

Incidentally, this is why Cat5 uses twisted pair. The twists are designed specifically for the standard frequencies used and help ensure the magnetic fields cancel out better.

Each color pair even has a different twist rate. The amount of thought and technology in a piece of cheap cable like that is just really amazing. :science:

Also this is why you shouldn't buy truly cheap CAT 5/6 cable, because chances are good they were sloppy with it and it won't handle crosstalk as well as a properly made cable.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

sharkytm posted:

Yup. I've got one centrally located in my garage, ceiling mounted. Its awesome!

For a second I thought you were referring to the pole saw. I was imagining some zombie horror garage you must have.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Harbor Freight coupon codes good through 6/20/13:

68024916 : Free 7 function ohmmeter with ANY purchase (P/N: 90899/98025/69096)
12286763 : The infamous float charger for $4.99 (P/N: 42292/69594/69955)
58042855 : 3 ton "Heavy Duty" STEEL floor jack (75lbs) for $69.99 (P/n: 68048/69227)

Everything else was pretty worthless/normal priced.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Bought this last night. Works well for drilling out stripped threads in hard to reach locations.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Electric drills are far better for drilling metal. High rpm just burns up your cutting edge.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

oxbrain posted:

Electric drills are far better for drilling metal. High rpm just burns up your cutting edge.

They are, except when you can't fit them between the Radiator and the engine.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Everytime I go to HF I just want to buy every single air tool. They're all so (comparatively) cheap.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

revmoo posted:

Everytime I go to HF I just want to buy every single air tool. They're all so (comparatively) cheap.

Assuming they are the same as what we get here from Supercheap they will probably work maybe 3 times before they stop working in one of a variety of ways. Still, they are easy to tear down and it's usually something minor. Pitfalls aside it hasn't stopped me from getting an air analog for nearly every power tool I have. I actually have two air hammers too and have never used either. But the rest get used because I just like air tools better for some things. They also have the awesome advantage of not releasing magic smoke when they jam up, if they do because they have so much torque.

Air ratchets can be useful if you need to wind bolts in or out of places with not much swing room but can't torque or crack nuts/bolts well.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I've religiously kept my HF air tools oiled and they've been pretty much trouble free. Their performance at pressure versus the 'legit' tools is pretty bad, but you just feed them 110psi and they work well.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 21, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

I've religiously kept my HF air tools oiled and they've been pretty much trouble free. Their performance at pressure versus the 'legit' tools is pretty bad, but you just feed them 110psi and they work well.

That's all true. I totally ignore their max pressure because they never work right unless it's cranked all the way up. My rattlegun is now pathetically weak, and I know there's another that isn't far behind. The drill is working pretty well. The die grinder doesn't want to spin sometimes but rotating it a little by hand fixes that. I guess there are spots it can't start properly from.

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
I have their earthquake impacting air ratchet and have nothing but good things to say. It will remove a reasonably stuck bolt and won't bust the hell out of your knuckles while doing so. If one needs more torque which I rarely do for a stuck bolt a rattle gun is a better choice anyway.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

The 1/2" HF impact is excellent.
I have a Craftsman 90 deg. die grinder, it will barely turn a 3" cut off wheel in metal at 120psi. Also have a Speedaire 90 deg. that costed 3 times as much and it's the same way as the Craftsman.

Does anyone have the dedicated 3" cut off air saw that HF sells? How is it?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Yesterday I did something stupid and awesome.
MG725 - It came with 4 pry bars

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 21, 2013

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Preoptopus posted:

Yesterday I did something stupid and awesome.
MG725 - It came with 4 pry bars

Snap-On Website posted:

"Unit delivers an outstanding 1,190 ft. lb. (1,613 N瀕) of Bolt Break Away Torque!"
Wow.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Very nice. I've the IR 20v cordless impact which isn't quite as powerfull but has done everything I've asked of it so far with ease.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a rollercab/toolbox complete with tools (I was looking at the Teng 1001) as I've got a better work area now and think it'd be handy to have a full set on hand for various jobs. Currently I just have most of my stuff in odd bags / small kits / loose so that I can transport them easily. I still need to take stuff with me, but a big cabinet at base would be very handy.

I'm after a very good quality kit, but can't really justify snap on prices. I've had good luck with Teng stuff in the past, and their kit seems fairly comprehensive. I've also heard good things about Berner tools but they're not easy to get a hold of in the UK. Any suggestions?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
http://www.amazon.com/NitroCat-1200-K-2-Inch-Composite-Mechanism/dp/B002Q8A98M Me and a few other guys at work use this for our 1/2 Impact. They're very quiet compared to the ingersoll rand's and the snap on, but heavier. A couple of them have had them for a few years with no problems, and they're strong as gently caress and CHEAP. 1295 ft/lb. Definitely one of my favorite tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Colonel K posted:

I'm after a very good quality kit, but can't really justify snap on prices. I've had good luck with Teng stuff in the past, and their kit seems fairly comprehensive. I've also heard good things about Berner tools but they're not easy to get a hold of in the UK. Any suggestions?
Halfords hand tools are great quality for the price (and have the lifetime warranty), I'd have no problem recommending them to anyone who isn't asking their tools to pay their wages, but I'm not at all sure about their tool cabinets, they don't seem too wonderful. I have some of their cheapo ones for storage, but they are what they are, and I bought them specifically because they'd do what I want and were very cheap. You could certainly buy a very good cabinet from someone else, and fill it with their handtools, which might help keep the cost down. Also lets you buy exactly what you want as and when you want/need to rather than being saddled with someone else's generic choice, particularly with things that are quite a personal variance (decent hammers, for example).

We have some Bott cabinets at work, and they're pretty good quality, but the size range is limited and the prices aren't especially brilliant. Not sure, really, I think I'd just put in some legwork to go and have a poke at actual units from various people and see what you think of the build quality.

On the other hand, if you don't actually need to have this stuff be at all mobile and it's in a secure or non-shared space (or the people sharing won't gently caress with other people's tools), there's a lot to be said for shadowboards and racking. If you've got the space, that'd be my preference.