Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

RealKyleH posted:

I saw that, isnt it just a hand pump unit?

Its a hand pump with a small cup to catch liquid. If you use a long enough piece of tubing, you can stand in front of the car, adding brake fluid as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kynetx posted:

Bling bling

Why is this so cheap?

It looks like it's the same as the other quality HF jack;
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

A ring of LED's actually seem pretty useful, especially in your usual unlit garage, the kind of garage that someone who only wants to spend $100 on a jack has.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

I saw that, isnt it just a hand pump unit?

Yeah. It doesn't take much force to operate, nor does it take a whole lot of work to flush brake fluid through a system.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Add me as a huge fan of the mityvac. No more bitching from the wife from me telling her to get her rear end in the car and pump the brakes. Also a major plus for clutch cylinders. It is 30 bucks at auto junk zone also.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
I picked up some jackstands (secondary set), ratcheting wrenches (The "good" ones--I hope they are okay), hose pliers, and some assorted bits and saved 22 dollars with the coupon. I would have picked up an air compressor but it wouldn't have been convenient.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Thanks Craigslist!

$150 for a Blue Point four drawer tool cart. The thing is impressively heavy duty. It weighs a ton, and the casters are massive, with grease zerks and everything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Has anyone ever used a RAC Maxi-Tune? More importantly, does anyone have a manual or know how to hook it up?

It looks like this:

And also like this.

I don't have any vehicles with points, so I don't need the dwell meter, but I would like to have the tach to do a carb sync on my new-to-me Goldwing.

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get a MityVac at HF for $30. I picked one up to do the clutch master on my Miata and I'm never doing anything with hydraulics any other way ever again.

Until you buy a Motive pressure bleeder for $50 and realize it CAN get better.

I use both when I'm working on different things, but I never bleed clutches or brakes with the Mitivac anymore. You get much better pedal feel, and it makes doing large amounts easy.

I'll swap all of my brake fluid once a year (I use ATE Super Blue one year, and Gold the next). All you have to do is dump the can in the Motive and pump it up once it's hooked up. You can do a complete fluid change without even bothering with re-pumping or filling the MC.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Hypnolobster posted:

especially in your usual unlit garage, the kind of garage that someone who only wants to spend $100 on a jack has.

Commoners!

(My jack cost $30 and I work by oil-lamp light on a dirt floor. I used to use candles but this year's been a bit more of "my turn" than others so I upgraded to an oil-lamp. As soon as I opened that first bottle of kerosene, the smell hit me, the smell of movin on up.)

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Wagonburner posted:

Commoners!

(My jack cost $30 and I work by oil-lamp light on a dirt floor. I used to use candles but this year's been a bit more of "my turn" than others so I upgraded to an oil-lamp. As soon as I opened that first bottle of kerosene, the smell hit me, the smell of movin on up.)

I was gonna say something snarky, but you beat me to it with something better.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

RealKyleH posted:

I will be adding this to my assortment of machining related equipment very soon.

20% off of $250? gently caress yea.

It says it can cut up to 4.5" round which is pretty much the biggest I can handle in my machine.

I built one of those last winter. Lots of tiny parts. It is SCARY but it works. Keep your fingers far, far away.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I bought mine but haven't assembled it yet. It was on sale for $199 then I got 20% off that. Hell of a deal. Got it, tape, two blades for it, and a soda for less than $200 after tax :)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

RealKyleH posted:

I bought mine but haven't assembled it yet. It was on sale for $199 then I got 20% off that. Hell of a deal. Got it, tape, two blades for it, and a soda for less than $200 after tax :)

and I finally got my 50' retractable air hose reel. I swear its made in the same factory where they make coxreels, just with the rejected pieces. The only thing I noticed that could become an issue is that the axle doesn't have a stop on one end, but it seems solid enough. It was $79.99, minus 20%.

StankCheeze
Aug 4, 2003

Use racial slurs in AI?
Ban.
Actually racist?
Ban as well you whiny fucking bitch.

944 posted:

Until you buy a Motive pressure bleeder for $50 and realize it CAN get better.

Then you make your own out of a lawn & garden pressure sprayer and realize it gets even better!

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Is this a good impact gun for changing tires and the such?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XP921U?ie=UTF8&tag=epicforu-20

nevermind, its not an impact gun..just a fancy dancy regular drill

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Lando posted:

Is this a good impact gun for changing tires and the such?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XP921U?ie=UTF8&tag=epicforu-20

nevermind, its not an impact gun..just a fancy dancy regular drill

its an impact driver, its sort of a tool between a drill and an impact wrench

quite a nice one, i love the hitachi cordless tools

but not nearly enough torque to take off lugnuts, think 100 ft/lbs. most cordless probably dont throw down enough torque for lugnuts, but many 120v ones will

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I know it's probably been discussed, but I don't have search nor the time to search 19 pages. What is a good, cheap impact wrench? Looking to spend under $100, if not significantly less.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I know it's probably been discussed, but I don't have search nor the time to search 19 pages. What is a good, cheap impact wrench? Looking to spend under $100, if not significantly less.

http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Hammer-Company-Hammers-117/dp/B000V7QZEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1233449893&sr=1-1

Throw in a wrench and you've got the most versatile, long-lasting, cordless impact wrench available.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
$29 for a hammer that's just going to get hosed up? I'll take a rubber coated dead blow for $8 at HF thank you.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

RealKyleH posted:

$29 for a hammer that's just going to get hosed up? I'll take a rubber coated dead blow for $8 at HF thank you.

1. My hammer is nearly 50 years old and is nearly due for its third recasting. It takes a lot of use to mushroom out the lead like that, more than a plastic hammer would stand up to.

2. Try using a shot filled hammer under a car, swinging upwards. Or in a wheel well with only 6" of travel.

3. Lead is more stable during the impact, no bouncing around from the plastic housing rebounding before the shot hits. Lead imparts more force for the same weight hammer.

4. Most hand tools, you don't respect them and they might smash your thumb or cut you. You respect lead or it will turn you into a limp-wristed nancy and your children into thugs and prostitutes. Consider it good practice for respecting your jack, or engine hoist, which could kill you in a heartbeat.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Eh, Ive used lead hammers quite a bit to bump things into place. Switched to bright orange and bright red hammers because they worked as well for what I was doing (machine shop work) and I could always find them. In a wheel well I can see the use.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oxbrain posted:

Lead hammer
Also, lead is nice and soft, so it isn't that likely to gently caress up castings when you miss, and a lead hammer wouldn't produce sparks, if that's a concern.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You can't make bullets out of a plastic hammer in a war torn post-apocalyptic America :colbert:

I've been trying to convince myself I need a lead hammer for a while now, but still haven't found a need for one. Maybe I should convince myself I need a car with knock-off wheels first.

For content, does anyone have a suggestion for a decent semi-hard tool bag? My mobile tool collection is growing entirely too rapidly and I need a good way to carry them around. I probably need a bag about 20"x12". It's mostly for electronics and small stuff. Lots of allen keys, screwdrivers, small pliers and electronics stuff.

Also, if you haven't watched this video, you should. It's a shining example of a man who adores his tools, plus, mythbusters rocks.
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-raw-jamies-toolkit.html (5 parts)

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 1, 2009

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hypnolobster posted:

For content, does anyone have a suggestion for a decent semi-hard tool bag? My mobile tool collection is growing entirely too rapidly and I need a good way to carry them around. I probably need a bag about 20"x12". It's mostly for electronics and small stuff. Lots of allen keys, screwdrivers, small pliers and electronics stuff.
Maybe a Park Tools backpack case? http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=19&item=BW-1 At $100+, though, it's pricey. I'd use one of those aluminium cases with dividers and foam for that kind of thing.

If anyone needs tools for working on bikes (the kind you pedal), I'd definitely recommend Park stuff. Not the cheapest, but they're really good quality.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
All of these are around the size you want: and range from $26-37
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35777
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36871
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39196

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

InitialDave posted:

If anyone needs tools for working on bikes (the kind you pedal), I'd definitely recommend Park stuff. Not the cheapest, but they're really good quality.

I've got a bunch of Park stuff leftover from my rebuilding and breaking bikes phase. I think I snapped somewhere in the range of 5 or 6 Dyno Nitro frames due to hard landings. The mid to late 90's was a great time. :v:
That backpack is absolutely awesome, but whenever I go somewhere to work on something, I have a backpack full of a laptop and such things.

Awesome. I just ordered that first one you linked. It'll be interesting to see how good these are for the price (which is an amazing price, I might add).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hypnolobster posted:

The mid to late 90's was a great time. :v:
Rigid bike with anodised purple componentry and canti brakes. An elegant weapon for a more civilised age.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Hypnolobster posted:

Awesome. I just ordered that first one you linked. It'll be interesting to see how good these are for the price (which is an amazing price, I might add).

Probably shoulda told you that they always have a $5 off coupon going for online stuff then huh :v:

I never looked at those but next time I get a 15 or 20% off coupon I think I will pick one uyp and move all my electrical tools into it.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Also, if you haven't watched this video, you should. It's a shining example of a man who adores his tools, plus, mythbusters rocks.

now i'm gonna buy a piano wire cutter that i might never need :I

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

You can't make bullets out of a plastic hammer in a war torn post-apocalyptic America :colbert:

I've been trying to convince myself I need a lead hammer for a while now, but still haven't found a need for one. Maybe I should convince myself I need a car with knock-off wheels first.

It's painful listening to him explain the fraction to decimal chart. It seems like he's not so great with finding the right words. I also would have thought he'd have nicer tools but I must say the "widow maker" is pretty cool.

I should have mentioned I'm looking for an air impact wrench. Searched through all the pages, didn't find any recommendations for any particular models.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 2, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Those very very cheap ones arent enough for a lot of wheels. Don't get them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

It's painful listening to him explain the fraction to decimal chart. It seems like he's not so great with finding the right words. I also would have thought he'd have nicer tools but I must say the "widow maker" is pretty cool.

A lot of guys like that have "their tools" doesn't matter what they look like anymore, but they've stood the test of time and still work, no reason to buy cleaner fancier ones.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-spotlight-bulk.html

I ordered one of these flashlights a couple days ago and it just came in today. It's a brilliant idea, a flashlight small enough to fit into the 12v cigar lighter socket. It's always close at hand in the car, and always kept fully charged. It sits a bit loose in the socket, but a couple wraps of electrical tape fixed that. It's about as bright as a non-LED AA maglite, but the beam isn't adjustable. The whole thing is solid state, so it should be drat near indestructible.

Perfect for stocking stuffers. :doh:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I'm thinking of buying this arc welder :

Guy wants 100$ for it, and I have a 220 line already hooked up in my garage so I'm good to go.

I've only welded with a mig before, and created some pretty lovely welds at that. I figure I can get this and practice welding with it. One thing I'm concerned with is blowing holes threw thin metal which I hear is a concern with an arc welder. I know I'm going to have to learn with experience on this specific machine when it comes to that.

So obviously, I shouldn't be able to weld things like exhausts? How about things like a 4 wheeler frame? Still too thin of steel? If I gently caress something up, is it pretty easy for a good welder with a mig to fix? I have access to that.

ease fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 3, 2009

King no one
Aug 26, 2000
Forum Veteran

oxbrain posted:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-spotlight-bulk.html

I ordered one of these flashlights a couple days ago and it just came in today. It's a brilliant idea, a flashlight small enough to fit into the 12v cigar lighter socket. It's always close at hand in the car, and always kept fully charged. It sits a bit loose in the socket, but a couple wraps of electrical tape fixed that. It's about as bright as a non-LED AA maglite, but the beam isn't adjustable. The whole thing is solid state, so it should be drat near indestructible.

Perfect for stocking stuffers. :doh:

I got one as a gift and it really does come in handy. I didn't know they cost that much though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

ease posted:

I'm thinking of buying this arc welder :

Guy wants 100$ for it, and I have a 220 line already hooked up in my garage so I'm good to go.

I've only welded with a mig before, and created some pretty lovely welds at that. I figure I can get this and practice welding with it. One thing I'm concerned with is blowing holes threw thin metal which I hear is a concern with an arc welder. I know I'm going to have to learn with experience on this specific machine when it comes to that.

So obviously, I shouldn't be able to weld things like exhausts? How about things like a 4 wheeler frame? Still too thin of steel? If I gently caress something up, is it pretty easy for a good welder with a mig to fix? I have access to that.

Overkill for exhausts, you'll probably burn through. Its meant for thick plate, so its perfect for a frame. You could get a cheap MIG for exhausts, its much nicer anyhow. No long electrode to deal with, and MIG has a nice gun that you can stick onto the exhaust, and just close your eyes and hit the trigger to tack it up. Then you take it off, and MIG it right.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008
My Harbor Freight purchases so far:

Digital caliper = $6
Air compressor = $80
Air tool set = $55

Best investments I ever made. Didn't expect them to last through my four years of college abuse, but they did and still working great. I abuse the poo poo out of them too. The air tools all run at whatever max PSI i have the compressor at, usually around 120psi.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but the huge majority 90% of automotive stuff is best suited for MIG, second is TIG with a few exceptions. gently caress stick welding.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Well I bought it. It actually worked great for what I needed (fixing a plow for my quad).

But here's the lovely part. I didn't know there was a difference between brazing goggles and arc welding goggles.

e: It was a #5 lens, and I guess it did offer a good amount of protection, but not adequate for arc. And holy poo poo, sunburned nose.

ease fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I didn't even know you could still buy welding goggles. I thought that poo poo died out in the 70's in favor of helmets?

Stick welding is still a worthwhile skill to learn. Granted, it won't be used much, particularly on a car, but it's useful for many a thing. Like pipe welding. That poo poo is hard.