Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've just discovered that you can get 20" Hi-Lifts:

I can't decide if that's pointless or adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

InitialDave posted:

That needs to go on a lowered Jeep.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

SouthsideSaint posted:

I know it's damaging but good loving luck getting a low profile on otherwise. Or getting a tire to seat on a poorly refinished rim. Its bad but I've never found a better way to mount low profiles. Also ruglyde is cheap and comes in big bottles and makes tires easy enough to mount by hand.

Your shop needs to invest in one of these. I used one last week to change the 20's on my SRT and it was loving amazing. I've used it before to mount 275/35 R19's and it was trivially easy. I remember using an older machine for low-profile tires and it was torture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX43c-gBamk

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Are the plastic ends of the arms considered a long-term wear item?

E: IT EVEN LOWERS THE WHEEL ONTO THE FLOOR FOR YOU. What a time to be alive.

Edit 2: vvv Rebrand them as "lo-lift"s and sell them to ricers/stancers

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 21, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Panda purchase incoming...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Panda purchase incoming...
It's not actually tall enough to be particularly useful for a Panda! The front and rear jacking points are a good foot off the ground even on a level surface.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

It's not actually tall enough to be particularly useful for a Panda! The front and rear jacking points are a good foot off the ground even on a level surface.

It's a not-high hi-lift jack.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

Your shop needs to invest in one of these. I used one last week to change the 20's on my SRT and it was loving amazing. I've used it before to mount 275/35 R19's and it was trivially easy. I remember using an older machine for low-profile tires and it was torture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX43c-gBamk

Yeah I cant even get them to spend the money and replace the computer that died. Which was my access to all data and the like. I'd love for a newer machine. They dragged there feet purchasing any of the tools for the shop. Hooray mom and pop shops that are run by two fucknobs and not the mom and pop who made it what it was.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

literally a fish posted:

It's amazing how much flashlight you can get for like $50 including multiple batteries and a charger these days. a Convoy S2+ will output nearly a thousand lumens (well, 800-850, but shush) off a single Panasonic NCR18650PF cell and the most ridiculous part is that the Nitecore charger that I'm a fan of costs more than the flashlight! (total? US$43.50 with free shipping. Yes, fasttech is a legit site, I buy poo poo from there all the time. Shipping's slow as hell, but it does show up!)

So I did a bad thing and bought pretty much everything you suggested here from Fasttech (except got the flashlight in red for the metal tailcap button, and spent an extra $9 for the charger with an LCD display.)

What's your experience with them on shipping times? I've seen people saying 1-2 weeks to 2+ months on the FT forums, flashlight forums and reddit.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What do you guys use for oil drain pans that seal? I had this turd from Walmart, but the threads failed after a few uses. I want something that I can seal like that to go dump my old oil.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Deeters posted:

What do you guys use for oil drain pans that seal? I had this turd from Walmart, but the threads failed after a few uses. I want something that I can seal like that to go dump my old oil.

Milk jugs bro.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I have a HDPE 5 gallon jug (like this) that I pour the oil out of the drain pan into.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dump into a 5 gal gas container. you dont want to have to dump every oil change.

i have a pan like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-11838-FloTool-Oil-Drain/dp/B000AMGYNA

that is just ok but good enough for how rarely i end up needing to do changes. the ability to catch a dropped drain plug without fishing all the way at the bottom is kinda nice.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I bought this cheap thing at Walmart and it's been great. The cap threads are beefy. Use whatever as a drain pan and decant it over. My jeep has enough clearance I can drain directly into it with a big funnel.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Dont you guys who do your own oil changes buy the 5 quart bottles? Why dont you just dump the oil back into those. Im confused. Also as for finding drain plugs in the oil pan, magnets work wonderfully.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't need a huge jug since I'm in an apartment and I'm not supposed to be doing oil changes in the driveway. I dump it every time to hide the evidence :tinfoil:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Deeters posted:

I don't need a huge jug since I'm in an apartment and I'm not supposed to be doing oil changes in the driveway. I dump it every time to hide the evidence :tinfoil:

It's similar where I live - I can't do anything car related in my parking spot, so I put it on the street out front and get to work. So far I've replaced a radiator and rebuilt a couple of drive shafts. Before they installed the cameras I just did my oil changes in the garage since it takes all of 10 minutes, but I felt funny as an adult trying to hide when the security guard Property Attendant came by doing his rounds.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

spog posted:

It's a not-high hi-lift jack.

A low lift jack?

Also i dump my oil in used wiper fluid bottles, but a big gas can sounds actually a little more convenient.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Preoptopus posted:

Dont you guys who do your own oil changes buy the 5 quart bottles? Why dont you just dump the oil back into those. Im confused. Also as for finding drain plugs in the oil pan, magnets work wonderfully.
Some people need 4, 6, or 8 quarts and then would need to pour into at least two containers (I buy 12 packs of individual quarts because its cheaper for me). Even if you need exactly 5 quarts, its still an extra step vs throwing a cap on the pan and you can't keep multiple changes in the jug. It works fine for many people, but not everyone has the same situation.

A while back I actually did an in depth review of my current pan that I got from Advance Auto (also available at Northern Tool for more money):

Cat Hatter posted:

The first thing to note is that this thing is loving enormous:

Even if the seals end up being poo poo, they're all above the surface of the 6 gallon capacity when in storage:

The main plug has a rubber seal in it! It can still be overtightened to the point that it pops back out, but it takes a fair amount of force:

The cap for draining the jug doesn't have a rubber seal, but at least I wasn't able to overtighten it by hand:

This is just after draining 6 quarts out of my Jeep. Features worth noting include the ridge for draining oil filters, the area for storing the main cap, four drain holes that allow max drain speed but still keep dropped oil plugs from falling in or even clogging the drain, and the two rectangular cut outs on the side are for oil plug storage (I'd already put the plug back in the engine). These cutouts are all duplicated on the bottom so you can stack several containers if you own a shop or are crazy:

I'd feel better about reviewing this thing if I had about 4.5 more gallons of oil to bring it closer to the maximum capacity. Never mind, I found some:

Yeah. Take it all, you filthy bitch:

Now to hold the whole thing upside down for a few minutes and check for leaks:

Success! No leaks from anything, not even the tiny air vent cap. Cardboard R. Lee Ermey approves.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cat Hatter posted:

Some people need 4, 6, or 8 quarts and then would need to pour into at least two containers (I buy 12 packs of individual quarts because its cheaper for me). Even if you need exactly 5 quarts, its still an extra step vs throwing a cap on the pan and you can't keep multiple changes in the jug. It works fine for many people, but not everyone has the same situation.

A while back I actually did an in depth review of my current pan that I got from Advance Auto (also available at Northern Tool for more money):

You know the easiest and CHEAPEST way to get an oil change is just having a shop do it with a coupon. We will get you out the door for 21.09 with tax included, with a semi synthetic blend oil and a American made (:911:) ProSelect filter. And if you buy the 3 pack they're like 16 bucks. Why changing oil against policy in a lovely parking lot under the cover of darkness is a better way to do it has me all confused. Not to mention, changing oil is a poo poo job to begin with.
To each there own I guess. :/

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 21, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I bought this cheap thing at Walmart and it's been great. The cap threads are beefy. Use whatever as a drain pan and decant it over. My jeep has enough clearance I can drain directly into it with a big funnel.

Yeah that's what I do too--those all in one pan and container things are kinda crappy these days. I don't know why but like 10-15 years ago they used to make much bigger and nicer pan containers. Now all I see are those tiny ones that are terrible. I just use a big open pan to catch the oil and then dump into a big jug like that. It's a lot easier to clean and store an open drain pan and jug vs. those clunky pan containers.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Preoptopus posted:

You know the easiest and CHEAPEST way to get an oil change is just having a shop do it with a coupon.

Easy, but much higher risk of getting your car hosed up.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Whos more likely to gently caress your car up : A tech that does it every day for a living with the right tools at hand and has his job and reputation along with the shops reputation at stake, or you on your back in a parking lot? Are there lovely techs out there? of course as with everything. But most lube techs dont want to change oil for the rest of their lives. Yea their world is poo poo but they understand they will never move up if they gently caress up and dont take care. Not to mention establishing and maintaining trust with a customer is completely encompassed by the oil change so while lovely, the lube tech has a very important job in the bigger scope of things.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 22, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Counter point: I do my own oil without leaving my house and with a beer in my hand.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Everyone's got their thing man. Im not knockin anyone and if it makes you happy then hey, you do you. I just dont buy the argument that "I do all my own work because mechanics are all crooks who gently caress poo poo up."

Didn't mean the derail, carry on gentlemen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Preoptopus posted:

Everyone's got their thing man. Im not knockin anyone and if it makes you happy then hey, you do you. I just dont buy the argument that "I do all my own work because mechanics are all crooks who gently caress poo poo up."

Didn't mean the derail, carry on gentlemen.

People in this thread get weird about oil changes. Everything else is like "I find it worthwhile to *perform X procedure*, but to each their own" but if someone mentions how they change their oil it turns into
:argh: "Why would anyone change their own oil?"
:doom: "I use a baking pan and a milk jug and can't imagine doing it any other way!"
:bahgawd: "Why don't you just get a hose and mouth-syphon it into a 55 gallon drum and then use your forklift to load it into your milsurp 5-ton when its full like I do?"

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Geoj posted:

So I did a bad thing and bought pretty much everything you suggested here from Fasttech (except got the flashlight in red for the metal tailcap button, and spent an extra $9 for the charger with an LCD display.)

What's your experience with them on shipping times? I've seen people saying 1-2 weeks to 2+ months on the FT forums, flashlight forums and reddit.

Pretty much that. Sometimes it's 2 weeks, sometimes it's 2 months. There's pretty much no way to tell - it's just a case of whether china post decides to send it all via seamail or airmail...

Once it only took 3 days though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
The only things I've ever had a shop do are alignments and mount/balance. I swear 50% of the time they still gently caress something up. I don't care if others use shops. I'm just too loving cheap to pay some one to do my work and I don't have any shop I trust as much as I trust my self.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Preoptopus posted:

You know the easiest and CHEAPEST way to get an oil change is just having a shop do it with a coupon. We will get you out the door for 21.09 with tax included, with a semi synthetic blend oil and a American made (:911:) ProSelect filter. And if you buy the 3 pack they're like 16 bucks. Why changing oil against policy in a lovely parking lot under the cover of darkness is a better way to do it has me all confused. Not to mention, changing oil is a poo poo job to begin with.
To each there own I guess. :/

This is bullshit, the easiest and cheapest way is to just keep topping off as oil slowly leaks from the everywhere during normal use. Also, all these storage container ideas are a stupid waste of money, if you park just right you can get both the pan and the filter over a storm drain at the same time. It's not hard, it just takes practice; you can set a cone up next to it if you really can't get parked right.

Anyway I can't speak for the rest of you guys but I change my own oil because that way I'm taking care of every repair any car will really need, just like Jiffy Lube says, and doing it myself instead of taking it to them makes me feel pretty goddamned responsible if I do say so myself. :colbert:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I think of it like how some people wash their car so they'll notice any new dents/scratches; changing your oil gives you a reason to go under your car and see if anything has obviously gone wrong since last time.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Sadi posted:

The only things I've ever had a shop do are alignments and mount/balance. I swear 50% of the time they still gently caress something up. I don't care if others use shops. I'm just too loving cheap to pay some one to do my work and I don't have any shop I trust as much as I trust my self.

The only thing you trust a shop which you dont trust to do are the two most important things you can do to a car to insure your immediate safety tho...

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 22, 2016

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

The only thing you trust a shop which you dont trust to do are the two most important things you can do to a car to insure your immediate safety tho...

I don't trust a shop to do those things either. I just am not willing to pay for my very own laser alignment machine or balancing machine.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Do you eat at restaurants? Cause they if they drop your steak on the floor, they just wash it, and throw it back on the grill guaranteed. TRUST NOONE!

I wrench for a living and try my best to not gently caress up and provide the cleanest best service possible. I have invested thousands into my tools and countless hours learning and studying my craft. And when there Is a comeback my heart sinks not because Im worried about getting in trouble but because the customer is unhappy from a service I provided and they paid good money for. So for people like to to say gently caress shops dont trust em, hits a little home for me and frankly is insulting.

Im done with the derail. Have fun spending your hard earned free time making a giant mess and burning your hands on exhaust and hot oil while wasting money while all your friends are out grilling having a good time.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 22, 2016

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Preoptopus posted:

Do you eat at restaurants? Cause they if they drop your steak on the floor, they just wash it, and throw it back on the grill guaranteed. TRUST NOONE!

If I'm going to eat a floor-steak, I'd prefer to know the conditions of the floor it was dropped on and how well it was washed off :iiaca:.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It really depends on the place, I wouldn't trust a quick lube with anything above a beater. There's no shortage of anecdotes from people who got burnt by a monkey with a wrench. I wouldn't put my faith in the integrity of a minimum wage worker who's got incentives to get the work done as quick as possible rather than consult literature on proper procedure. And even getting repairs, there's enough places out there that do shoddy work that goes unnoticed due to uninformed customers, and how many times did you see those undercover news segments that exposed shops that were charging for work that was never completed or not needed? Finding a place that has integrity and takes pride in their work is not so simple and if you can do the work yourself it's a tempting option for the peace of mind.

Recent one that springs to mind was that Audi S5 that had it's underbody structures cut up, and it's transmission oil drained at a quick lube.

Dealer's are probably going to be competent but are legendarily expensive. A decent shop can probably be trusted to do a good job too at a better price than the dealer. Bringing back the restaurant analogy, sure you can eat out, but I wouldn't want to go to the place downtown that's changed owners 3 times since it's failing health inspections and has complaints of people getting food poisoning. They probably still make some decent food, but the odds of getting something bad are much higher than the fancy steakhouse down the street or the local burger joint by the river.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

I wrench for a living and try my best to not gently caress up and provide the cleanest best service possible. I have invested thousands into my tools and countless hours learning and studying my craft. And when there Is a comeback my heart sinks not because Im worried about getting in trouble but because the customer is unhappy from a service I provided and they paid good money for. So for people like to to say gently caress shops dont trust em, hits a little home for me and frankly is insulting.

Im done with the derail. Have fun spending your hard earned free time making a giant mess and burning your hands on exhaust and hot oil while wasting money while all your friends are out grilling having a good time.

You do understand that you're the exception, rather than the rule, right? We love mechanics like you. A perfect example is the Subaru specialist I found near-ish to my house, Mark, who has been in the business for over 25 years, knows an EJ like the back of his hand, had my car for over a month, couldn't quite work out what the problem was, and only charged me for six hours of his time. (It later turned out to be a problem he never would have caught.) Unfortunately, people like him and you are few and far between :smith:

If every mechanic at every shop had a work ethic like yours, we wouldn't bash shops. Most small independent shops are decent, but when someone sets up a chain franchise just to make money, not because they actually take pride in their work, it doesn't end well. And with the flatrate bullshit most chains pull, it's hard to both make enough money to stay alive/not get fired, and also actually care about the quality of your work - just take a look at 14", who takes pride in his work and doing it properly, and was literally beaten into a meth addiction by Firestone (and a bunch of other stuff, but you get my point).

We're not attacking you. We love people like you. We just wish you weren't the 1%.

I also take issue with your last statement - I do have fun spending my free time working on my car, and usually my friends are working on it (and eating delicious kebabs) with me, because they like it too. I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy doing it.

Bajaha posted:

Recent one that springs to mind was that Audi S5 that had it's underbody structures cut up, and it's transmission oil drained at a quick lube.

Ah yes, this one. A perfect example of minimum wage idiots who don't care and just want to get the car done faster than the 20 flatrate minutes they're getting paid for.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 22, 2016

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Seriously dude. I don't hate mechanics. I just rather do it my self. It doesn't hurt my feelings to burn my hands on the exhaust changing the 2 exhaust gaskets I hosed up at the last rallycross. I got cold beer for the burnt hand. I just don't want to pay $200 for something that cost me $30 in parts and a half hour. Besides fixing poo poo is cathartic.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Sadi posted:

We had a guy in for inspection, his 05 F-150 failed for a loose hub bearing. He said he'd do the work himself. Okay no problem - free re-inspection if you come back.

So the truck came back with an entire new front end! All four control arms, both CV axles, both hub bearings both inner and outer tie-rods have been replaced. He did all this himself.

So he has lifetime alignment on this truck - I'm like - GREAAAAT this recheck is going to take forever.

I only had to adjust one of the tie-rods about 0.06 of a degree. It was absurd. I went out when the customer picked the truck up to see how the hell he did it - he counted the threads on everything he did. He was even shocked at how close he got it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well done, mr. F-150 guy :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

0toShifty posted:

We had a guy in for inspection, his 05 F-150 failed for a loose hub bearing. He said he'd do the work himself. Okay no problem - free re-inspection if you come back.

So the truck came back with an entire new front end! All four control arms, both CV axles, both hub bearings both inner and outer tie-rods have been replaced. He did all this himself.

So he has lifetime alignment on this truck - I'm like - GREAAAAT this recheck is going to take forever.

I only had to adjust one of the tie-rods about 0.06 of a degree. It was absurd. I went out when the customer picked the truck up to see how the hell he did it - he counted the threads on everything he did. He was even shocked at how close he got it.

Thats amazing. I bet got dealer parts. Aftermarket are always slightly different and will be off even if you count the threads. I apologize for my mood last night. I would just like to ad,
being a decent tech pays. Going the extra mile, IE zip tying hanging loose body panels, taking care of back plate scraping, little poo poo, gets customers to come back for bigger jobs and they are HAPPY to empty their wallets knowing there car is in good hands. Thats when you get wreckers dropping cars off in front of your bay at night with a note saying. "Needs brakes, just fix it, call when done, I trust you." I just dont get why anyone would be a lovely tech. oh well. Props to you drive way heros.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 22, 2016