Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
$99 for a milwaukee M12 (non-fuel) 3/8" ratchet kit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...l2p%3AWnnQ3Yyc0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fair warning, that tool is a gateway drug to wanting the Fuel version.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fair warning, that tool is a gateway drug to wanting the Fuel version.

I read that the Fuel version was actually less useful since it was larger. Confirm/deny?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I read that the Fuel version was actually less useful since it was larger. Confirm/deny?
Arguable.
It IS larger, but it's also more powerful. I combined it with Astro Nano sockets and have been able to get it pretty much anywhere I need, so I'd definitely argue for getting those as well (honestly, regardless of which one you get).

Edit: The specific post that influenced me (I own the fuel, now):

IOwnCalculus posted:

It could be the vehicles I work on but I haven't found anywhere that my M12 Fuel 3/8 wouldn't fit, where my M12 non-fuel 3/8 would. But I have found a lot of bolts where there non-fuel just doesn't have enough power to do much.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If you're really worried about it, I'm fairly certain you can use them as a normal ratchet as well; ie, break something loose the normal way then hit the button to power off the fastener.

That said, I went for the Fuel 3/8".

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
AvE went over the differences between a regular and fuel Milwaukee reciprocating saw. The differences are immediate and obvious. The fuels are built significantly better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c4mfbyWyzA

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I found the 5 tool set (impact, drill, hackzall, ratchet, flashlight) from HD on sale for $199 last year and it has performed very well for what I expect.

If anything the ratchet is fine, the impact is noticably weaker than even an entry level 18-20v. It's nice for light stuff, and all of the tools win on size if being compact matters.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have the regular version of that ratchet and try to use it whenever I can. Going to the junkyard is like godmode. Just spinning bolts as fast as you can and let the debris fly and pile up in the dirt like who gives a fuuuuuck.

I used it on Sunday to remove the 14 bolts that held on my air dam in minutes. If I had the low profile sockets it would have saved half that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

The body of the tool is the same size as far as I've ever noticed. The head is a bit larger around but I've had manual ratchets with similar/larger heads that weren't a problem.

One of these days I'll set them out side by side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've got that Fuel poo poo at work and I love it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Geoj posted:

Asked, he said in his experience nickel can't be cut with a CO2 laser because its too reflective . Not only will it not cut at all, but it can bounce the laser right back up into the cutting head and cause substantial damage.

He said you'll likely need a fiber laser to cut either.

Awesome thank you. I am going to go see and use the machine next week..so I might actually have some content for the mechanical failures thread!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Handy lookin little set on sale for under $13. May grab a couple to keep one in each car

https://slickdeals.net/f/12991258-gearwrench-85035-35-pc-microdriver-set-13-1?src=frontpage

opengl fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 3, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

opengl128 posted:

Handy lookin little set on sale for under $13. May grab a couple to keep one in each car

https://slickdeals.net/f/12991258-gearwrench-85035-35-pc-microdriver-set-13-1?src=frontpage

I got one of those when they were at the same price in November. Great little kit.

bobbyjoe
Mar 9, 2013

opengl128 posted:

i have that, look at it wrong and everything falls out. the ratchet is nice for what it is. keep a 1/4 extension with it if you do. Itd be better to have magnetic bits, which it doesn't

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was going to recommend this Wera set as a pricier alternative (where everything stays in place), but it's now $115, and I bought it for $56 last November. It's definitely ~$50 nice if you have a use case for it (I do), but probably not $115 nice unless you're feeling fancy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I was going to recommend this Wera set as a pricier alternative (where everything stays in place), but it's now $115, and I bought it for $56 last November. It's definitely ~$50 nice if you have a use case for it (I do), but probably not $115 nice unless you're feeling fancy.
I’ve been keeping an eye on this one to snag for my wife’s car, and hoping it drops to something like 56 - but worth knowing, it’s $76 on amazon right now, so as much as I love KC Tool, I’d go there first.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I did a thing.

:iia:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Nice iron. I love my Hakko, but the colors are pretty awful. That's nice and classy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sharkytm posted:

Nice iron. I love my Hakko, but the colors are pretty awful. That's nice and classy.

The removable tips are super neat and the iron feels like an extension of my own hand.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I’ve been keeping an eye on this one to snag for my wife’s car, and hoping it drops to something like 56 - but worth knowing, it’s $76 on amazon right now, so as much as I love KC Tool, I’d go there first.

It's really nice and great for tight spaces, and also the only thing I need for a lot of basic tasks (taking fairings off the bike, etc).

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Just a word of warning: I’ve had some absolutely destroyed-in-quality tools come from Amazon (shipped & sold by, no less), including Wera and Knipex tools with visible rust all over them.

It’s happened enough times (n=5) that it’s not worth the hassle to me, and I always order from KC Tool because I don’t have time to dick around with Amazon’s customer service (who are total asshats about it sometimes). Don’t get me wrong, I love amazon for a lot of things, but I’ve had dogshit luck with German handtools. :iiam:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did a thing.

:iia:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

I seriously love this thing. Not very Automotive, but my Famicoms have put this thing to good use so far. The price of a Haako, but things from Pace seem to have 10-15 years of replacement / compatible new parts instead of 3-4.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Krakkles posted:

If you're mainly looking for the little ratchet, Chapman Manufacturing makes a bunch of sets that seem to run around $50 or less. They have an amazon storefront too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm about to have a garage again. I'm so excited.

Ill need an air compressor soon after. 99% for normal automotive tools. Impact, die grinders, etc. Maybe hook a paint gun up to it once but probably not.

I'm looking for something with enough volume and oomph that I'm not waiting on it all the time, and reasonably quiet. It's going to see a lot of use. I don't want to waste money but I'm willing to buy a nice one.

Any recommendations?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Biggest thing you can find, built before you were born?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ingersoll-Rand makes decent, made in USA compressors.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
What is the AI favorite for socket storage inside a toolbox drawer? Ill need racks for the following in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive.

Deep chrome sae
Deep chrome metric
Shallow chrome sae
Shallow chrome metric
Deep impact sae
Shallow impact sae

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got the HF socket racks, they're not bad. The Hansen's are nice too. It's kind of a personal preference thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Shadowbox that poo poo, it's awesome

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Craftsman socket rails, old school. I always bring the whole rail in case I need an additional size and it keeps me on the job rather than walking back to the box.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Unf I need to start shadowboarding my toolbox.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

Craftsman socket rails, old school. I always bring the whole rail in case I need an additional size and it keeps me on the job rather than walking back to the box.

I've never found rails that hold onto the sockets well enough to not be annoying. They either fall off or force you to use two hands to remove them. Again, it's personal preference.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I use magnetic socket holders from Lowes/Kobalt

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Socket-Storage/1000093425 and similar.

Edit: Amazon has similar stuff under ARES.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 8, 2019

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sharkytm posted:

I've never found rails that hold onto the sockets well enough to not be annoying. They either fall off or force you to use two hands to remove them. Again, it's personal preference.

It really is preference. The craftsman ones are really good and I like a tight fit. I can get them off one handed by rotating them out rather than pulling. And again I gotta have all the sizes right there. I should actually pick up some baking trays second hand to use to transfer tools back and forth.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

I'm about to have a garage again. I'm so excited.

Ill need an air compressor soon after. 99% for normal automotive tools. Impact, die grinders, etc. Maybe hook a paint gun up to it once but probably not.

I'm looking for something with enough volume and oomph that I'm not waiting on it all the time, and reasonably quiet. It's going to see a lot of use. I don't want to waste money but I'm willing to buy a nice one.

Any recommendations?

Lowe's has a Kobalt quiet tech 26 gallon that seems to be a larger take on a California Air Tools compressor. It's not quiet overall, but it is way quieter than most compressors. I'm really happy with it so far, but I strongly recommend adding a remote drain and a muffler on said drain.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Is it possible or maybe even easy to convert an M18 impact from pin detent to bull ring? It’s a Mid-Torque Fuel for what it’s worth.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 9, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nitsuga posted:

Is it possible or maybe even easy to convert an M18 impact from pin detent to bull ring? It’s a Mid-Torque Fuel for what it’s worth.

edit: actually maybe? Definitely search for your specific model instead of this random one, but this came up for “Milwaukee impact anvil.”

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182180589582

AvE took one apart and it mostly worked when he put it back together

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 9, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pretty certain you can, take a look over on garagejournal, i know i've seen someone mention it before

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

nitsuga posted:

Don’t know the model number for yours, or the model number for the bull ring one, but the anvils seem to run $15-20.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/milwaukee-impact-driver-parts-c-131_9593.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

nitsuga posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-MILWAUKEE-42-06-0128-1-2-SQ-DRIVE-ANVIL-FITS-FUEL-2861-20-H62A/182824122655

What I bought, looks like they're out of stock but you could try ordering from a service centre.