Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

slidebite posted:

I am an industrial wholesaler and I have several styles on my shelf, but I am by no means a married to watson.. I just like their stuff.

I thought they were US too..? Never checked into it myself. I actually thought they were a US company LOL. Sorry about that!

It just occurred to me to check -- I own a pair of Watson #005 Flextime gloves that I bought at a Kent in St. John's Newfoundland. I don't climb onto cargo ships any more, so I use them exclusively for bicycling.

You're right, Watson makes good gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elviscat posted:

If you want nitrile gloves that don't suck, I recommend these guys tough, good non-slip texture, come sized for people with giant mitts.

Yep, these are my go-to now for nitrile. They are nice enough to use for a great many purposes but I only use them when I specifically want disposable gloves because most of the year my hands sweat to death in them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Glove chat -- I got a few boxes of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-...46462656withTHD

Gorilla Grips, they're dipped cloth gloves that work really well. Home Depot clearanced them out for $15 per box of 20 pairs. They're not worth full price, but on deep clearance, they are.

Elviscat posted:

If you want nitrile gloves that don't suck, I recommend these guys tough, good non-slip texture, come sized for people with giant mitts.

I'm just about out of nitrile gloves, just put those on my amazon order for next month. Thanks!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

My local OReilly's has been out of gloves so I just picked up a box of these since everyone in the thread seems to like them. I'm on the small side of XL according to their sizing chart, but they only had XL in boxes of 1000 so I'm giving the L a shot.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

cakesmith handyman posted:

So what did you nail to what?

When I moved into my house there were a few 2x4s in the basement attached at random angles by a ramset gun. I assume the previous owner was dicking around practicing with a rented tool.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Copied a good idea and made a compressor combiner with a couple check valves

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety Dance posted:

It just occurred to me to check -- I own a pair of Watson #005 Flextime gloves that I bought at a Kent in St. John's Newfoundland. I don't climb onto cargo ships any more, so I use them exclusively for bicycling.

Those are good, I also have that exact pair. Very comfortable and pretty inexpensive.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

honda whisperer posted:

+1 for Ansell hyflex gloves. I use them at work and wash them 3-4 times before they're worn out.

Actually same here. When I'd have to pick up saw cut 40+lb with sharp edges to go in a CNC machine, these are what I'd use.

Safety Dance posted:

I crested 30 and now my hands hurt for 1-2 days when I swing a hammer for more than an hour. Getting old is dildoes.

Are these good for impact reducing to your hands for stuff like fixing my dock and demoing the previous owners bird poo poo covered aviary?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 20, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

+1 for Ansell hyflex gloves. I use them at work and wash them 3-4 times before they're worn out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Boy I guess I have to get off my rear end and work with my hands more. I have never put much thought into work gloves. I always just bought whatever Worx gloves were available at the hardware store and 100 9 mil HF nitriles.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://jalopnik.com/dont-trust-your-life-to-these-jack-stands-1843546730

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I love how the article starts about safety and then just devolves into a rant about not buying stuff from HF.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo I have a pair of the 6 tons

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a quartet of the 3 tons, and apparently no receipt, so I'm not sure if they're the correct item #.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I have a quartet of the 3 tons, and apparently no receipt, so I'm not sure if they're the correct item #.

It's on the sticker (if they're still on your stands). Mine are the bad ones.

(in yellow n these)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

It's on the sticker (if they're still on your stands). Mine are the bad ones.

(in yellow n these)
Thanks, guys! Of the four stands, three still have stickers, and they're all not affected. Not a guarantee that the fourth is ok as well, but I did buy them together and I'm reasonably confident in them.

You know, as confident as one can be in cheap safety equipment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mine are the old orange and white ones that I've owned for like 10 years, this only goes back 7?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rhyno posted:

Mine are the old orange and white ones that I've owned for like 10 years, this only goes back 7?

They should be fine if the defect was indeed the tooling wearing out. I’ve had a set of the orange ones since 2006 with no issues.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Orange and white you say?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The pawl looks intact; no problem there.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I've got the 6ton ones but already used them for pulling my silverado's transmission and reinstalling after the rebuild a couple years ago. Maybe I got ones that aren't bad?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

NinjaTech posted:

I've got the 6ton ones but already used them for pulling my silverado's transmission and reinstalling after the rebuild a couple years ago. Maybe I got ones that aren't bad?

If they are covered in the recall I definitely wouldn't trust them.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

um excuse me posted:

Orange and white you say?

Mine are way more faded in color than that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Mine have lived outside for most of the last ten years (or less depending on which set it is, I own way too many of them) and there's ZERO chance I'll be able to read the stickers. Wonder if they'll take them.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

kastein posted:

Mine have lived outside for most of the last ten years (or less depending on which set it is, I own way too many of them) and there's ZERO chance I'll be able to read the stickers. Wonder if they'll take them.

Throw the stands through their window from your vehicle as you drive by, that way they can't give them back.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I haven't checked mine at home, but the 4 I have at work (6 ton, and identical to the ones in the picture) are a different number than the two in the recall. There's hope.

Also, many things from HF kick rear end and recalls happen to everybody. This doesn't really have an effect on my opinion of their jackstands. I'll take the known-quantity HF stands over some other marginally more expensive stands from likely the same factory any day.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Cheap Amazon plasma cutter report

It kills rusty bolts good. Only issue was my outdoor outlets are on a 15 amp breaker so broke the generator out for a few more chunky amps.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hypnolobster posted:

I haven't checked mine at home, but the 4 I have at work (6 ton, and identical to the ones in the picture) are a different number than the two in the recall. There's hope.

Also, many things from HF kick rear end and recalls happen to everybody. This doesn't really have an effect on my opinion of their jackstands. I'll take the known-quantity HF stands over some other marginally more expensive stands from likely the same factory any day.

I'm with you somewhat. I worked at AutoZone, and we had recalls for jumper cables with the colored clamps reversed on one end, brake cleaner with a sticky valve, cheap welders that didn't have a cold contactor... poo poo happens. However, Jack stands are a passive safety device, so I'd rate this much higher severity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nadmonk posted:

Throw the stands through their window from your vehicle as you drive by, that way they can't give them back.

Yeah but how am I supposed to get my gift card or new jackstands if I'm banned from the store

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Yeah but how am I supposed to get my gift card or new jackstands if I'm banned from the store

Just pay some old lady to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE1dFHmFCRk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I knew what this was before I clicked the link.

If they aired that today some group would demand they took it down for inciting vandalism.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

sharkytm posted:

I'm with you somewhat. I worked at AutoZone, and we had recalls for jumper cables with the colored clamps reversed on one end, brake cleaner with a sticky valve, cheap welders that didn't have a cold contactor... poo poo happens. However, Jack stands are a passive safety device, so I'd rate this much higher severity.

lol, I remember the jumper cables and that's pretty drat serious. It can ruin your day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

If they aired that today some group would demand they took it down for inciting vandalism.

No

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Same. Last time I watched TV with ads, they still ran that piece once in a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For real? I haven't seen it in 10 years easily.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean it's probably been almost as long since I watched anything with ads other than an Indycar race. But they still even have old Mrs. Tireyeeter on the bottom of their front page.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone god a decent entry level dial gauge and magnetic base combo? As much as I would love the Mitutoyo option, it's a little rich for me. Looking for options around $100ish total. I just want to measure engine end play and concentricity of spinny bits. Like aligning a lathe.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Anyone god a decent entry level dial gauge and magnetic base combo? As much as I would love the Mitutoyo option, it's a little rich for me. Looking for options around $100ish total. I just want to measure engine end play and concentricity of spinny bits. Like aligning a lathe.

Noga bases with the single knob are awesome. There are cheaper knockoffs, search "magic arm". Dial gauge? You mean a dial indicator or a dial test indicator? HF indicators are... Acceptable. If you're buying a DTI, I vote Tessa or Interapid, although Mitutoyo make a decent tenths gauge too. That's not a place to cheap out.

If you buy a cheap mag base and arm, make sure it's 3/8" and not 8mm.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If you go single knob/articulating, the Noga is the way to go (Tesa/Brown and Sharpe are good as well, and slightly cheaper). The cheap Chinese versions are nearly unusable (or at least, the 2 or 3 I've had are). The old school rod style ones are better if they're cheap Chinese stands (but are also annoying to use).

As for indicators, I've had excellent luck with Accusize. They're cheap but well made and nice.

It's hard to cheap out on either to a certain degree. A crap stand will make a great indicator useless, and a crap indicator is crap regardless. It's pretty easy to hit minimum-good on indicators if you spend ~$20 or more.