Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Trailer chat--Is the hazard fraught folding trailer a good buy? Need a cheap trailer to do some probably legal dumping, and am rather enamored by the foldiness of it all. Figure a hundred bucks more for the "super duty" model should get it close enough to roadworthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

OSU_Matthew posted:

Trailer chat--Is the hazard fraught folding trailer a good buy? Need a cheap trailer to do some probably legal dumping, and am rather enamored by the foldiness of it all. Figure a hundred bucks more for the "super duty" model should get it close enough to roadworthy

I’ve had one for a couple of years and I love it. It’s ugly and sun-bleached but I’ve majorly abused and overloaded it, but it’s held up great.

Registering it was a little weird because of sales tax at a hardware store, not at the dmv.

I think there’s an active coupon on HFQPDB

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve had one for a couple of years and I love it. It’s ugly and sun-bleached but I’ve majorly abused and overloaded it, but it’s held up great.

Registering it was a little weird because of sales tax at a hardware store, not at the dmv.

I think there’s an active coupon on HFQPDB

Cool, thanks! Do you have the regular version or the super duty version? The regular is the one currently on sale, but maybe it’s worth the extra 200 for the thicker gauge frame.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

OSU_Matthew posted:

Cool, thanks! Do you have the regular version or the super duty version? The regular is the one currently on sale, but maybe it’s worth the extra 200 for the thicker gauge frame.

I’ve only got the 1200lb one. I don’t remember if the 1700 was available when I bought. I suspect you’re paying for heavier springs on the super-duty, because I’ve definitely bottomed mine out hauling concrete chunks when I tore out my driveway. For regular Home Depot runs, it might not be necessary.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve only got the 1200lb one. I don’t remember if the 1700 was available when I bought. I suspect you’re paying for heavier springs on the super-duty, because I’ve definitely bottomed mine out hauling concrete chunks when I tore out my driveway. For regular Home Depot runs, it might not be necessary.

Ha, that’s exactly what I’d like to do with it—take a buncha rocks and dirt to a buddies place and dump it as riprap, and pickup a buncha fencing materials from Menards. Good to know the wobble-duty trailer is up for the abuse!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bought a few vintage tools on ebay for cheap:

An adorable Starrett 3" pocket slide caliper. Most the things I'm measuring with caliper precision are within 3" so this is perfect, and cute!

Also an old Plomb small 1/2" breaker bar ~15" I love the old Plomb logo cast into the handle, and the company has a weird history.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

tuna posted:

Bought a few vintage tools on ebay for cheap:

An adorable Starrett 3" pocket slide caliper. Most the things I'm measuring with caliper precision are within 3" so this is perfect, and cute!

Also an old Plomb small 1/2" breaker bar ~15" I love the old Plomb logo cast into the handle, and the company has a weird history.

I have the same pocket caliper. It's a neat little piece.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I have the same pocket caliper. It's a neat little piece.

I wish it was possible to disassemble, but the peened lock screw ruins that. [e] not so be all sour apples about it, I still love the little thing! Hope you do too!

tuna fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 26, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
That’s really neat! I love old starrett tools.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Back when they really cared about the tools, Starrett was the paragon. I still think their combination squares in satin chrome are the best made, they still make great levels, and I'm sure there are other standouts, but their quality isn't what it used to be. Too bad, really... They're based in my state.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Does anyone know about Helios vernier calipers? I've been staring at the terrible pictures of these, and I can't tell if they have the vernier scale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helios-6-Vernier-Caliper-Made-In-Germany-Stainless-Hardened/283822736440?hash=item4215274438:g:VxcAAOSwQzVedi04

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

Does anyone know about Helios vernier calipers? I've been staring at the terrible pictures of these, and I can't tell if they have the vernier scale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helios-6-Vernier-Caliper-Made-In-Germany-Stainless-Hardened/283822736440?hash=item4215274438:g:VxcAAOSwQzVedi04

If it's anything like this one you'd think it would have it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was given this with no explanation. Seems cool. What can I realistically use it for in a home shop?

The instructions say no water-based solvents, which rules out Simple Green.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've had a few of those, worked great for bulk Brake Cleaner and Alcohol washes. Lookup Sureshot.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’d never thought about brake cleaner being available by the bucket or drum, but I guess it makes sense that brake shops aren’t chewing through single cans.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I’d never thought about brake cleaner being available by the bucket or drum, but I guess it makes sense that brake shops aren’t chewing through single cans.

Yeah man, I have two of those. They are awesome. This is what they get filled with:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
I have two sure shots at work and it's great filling them up from a drum. Much better than the shop I worked at before that would just get cans from the auto parts store and charge them out on the customer ticket. Much easier to just add a fee for shop supplies on every ticket and order a drum of brake cleaner.

Definitely recommend spending a few bucks on a rebuild kit and freshening it up!

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Is there a price performer for a router? Have a couple projects that could use it but I don’t really want to dosh out too much on a tool that won’t get all that much long term use.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My recommendation is hit Craigslist and see what's available. You can get both routers and router tables for very good prices quite often. Just make sure you check the collet size included and what's available as an upgrade before buying.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

eddiewalker posted:

I was given this with no explanation. Seems cool. What can I realistically use it for in a home shop?

The instructions say no water-based solvents, which rules out Simple Green.

they’re great. that one is a Milwaukee Sprayer Sure Shot; you can get different tips for them if you want a different pattern. the tips are mostly a simple 2-piece design and can be cleaned really easily and quickly.

you technically can use water-based stuff, but corrosion will clog the tips faster, and obviously corrosion + pressure cylinder = bad.

I make my own brake wash for use with them, 99% isopropyl and acetone at about 9:1. probably not much more expensive to buy the Zep stuff in 5gal pails.

you don’t want to fill them more than about 2/3 full; leave headroom. I think they’re rated for like 110psi so unless you have a really powerful compressor, just let er rip. rebuild kits can be had for cheap but even running brake wash for 10 years straight in mine hasn’t seemed to wear anything out

snugglz fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 30, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kastein posted:

My recommendation is hit Craigslist and see what's available. You can get both routers and router tables for very good prices quite often. Just make sure you check the collet size included and what's available as an upgrade before buying.
Also garage sales if you want to try hitting them up. My step dad has enough power tools to start a rental business because he just can't stop buying cheap poo poo in garage sales.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2565-22

:dong:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm the "Up to 250 lbs of Nut Busting Torque"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Not strictly tools related, but what's the best way to repair tiny threads in a chowdered-out ABS plastic hole? It's about 2mm in diameter and 5mm deep, as near as my harbor freight calipers can tell from measuring the screw.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Not strictly tools related, but what's the best way to repair tiny threads in a chowdered-out ABS plastic hole? It's about 2mm in diameter and 5mm deep, as near as my harbor freight calipers can tell from measuring the screw.

threaded insert, t nut, helicoil or something like that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Heat gun and ABS rod (3d printer filament would be perfect if anyone you know has any 1.75mm ABS). Heat up the existing threads until they soften. Melt the rod into a blob, squish it into the old threads. Repeat a couple of times until you've got the hole filled in, then tap new threads. Don't burn the plastic, you just want to melt it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

I just picked one up this week, I’m pretty happy with it. I also have the stubby M12, which is rated for almost the same torque. Being able to reach up into a subframe or whatever is pretty nice. Only issue so far is that the head is pretty fat and I end up needing a swivel or ball extension to get onto bolts directly next to something.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Safety Dance posted:

What's it for? I've had good luck throwing a Helicoil into ABS or FRP, but at larger sizes (M6-M8 or so, and usually a lot deeper). Something that small it might be easier with a timesert or something else that's a solid threaded insert.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PitViper posted:

What's it for? I've had good luck throwing a Helicoil into ABS or FRP, but at larger sizes (M6-M8 or so, and usually a lot deeper). Something that small it might be easier with a timesert or something else that's a solid threaded insert.

It's the cover for my bicycle's shifter. Unfortunately Time-Serts don't go down to M2. https://www.mcmaster.com/94510A360/ is probably the right answer, but I found a replacement cover on Amazon for cheaper than a 25 pack of threaded inserts from McMaster.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, getting the press fit one to work might be an issue, especially with something so small. If it's easy and cheap to replace, that's probably the better route.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ugh, but McMaster will deliver tomorrow vs two weeks from now from the amazon seller. I'll try not to gently caress it up too bad, and replace it if I do. It's only twice the price!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Acetone will melt abs plastic. You might be able to melt some, and inject/pour it in to the hole?

People who have canoes made from a product commonly known as "royalex" are known to keep a small container of "melted with acetone ABS" plastic with them on canoe trips to make repairs apparently.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

Acetone will melt abs plastic. You might be able to melt some, and inject/pour it in to the hole?

People who have canoes made from a product commonly known as "royalex" are known to keep a small container of "melted with acetone ABS" plastic with them on canoe trips to make repairs apparently.

Not a great idea. The acetone will dissolve the plastic farther down the hole, and do more damage than good. I've successfully done lots of ABS welding with a heat gun and ABS filament. poo poo, I welded a box fan blade back onto the hub a few years ago and other than some bearing noise from the falling-off-the-bench incident, it's still functional. Ugly as sin, but functional.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Milwaukee new tool emails are the only spam for which I purposefully signed up, but you better believe I texted everybody about my new "hole hawg" when I saw this came out:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hoping for a quick-ish reply, so double posting here and in the other tools thread.

Is the Drill doctor still pretty much the gold standard for consumer grade drill bit sharpeners?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'd love to know more about sharpening bits as well. What kind of bits can be sharpened?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

Hoping for a quick-ish reply, so double posting here and in the other tools thread.

Is the Drill doctor still pretty much the gold standard for consumer grade drill bit sharpeners?

Consumer-grade, yes. I wouldn't call it a gold standard. It works OK for what it is. Useless on small stuff and slow on big stuff, but it does work.

The gold standard would be a Darex: https://www.darex.com/shop/sharpeners/v-390-drill-sharpener/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PitViper posted:

Yeah, getting the press fit one to work might be an issue, especially with something so small. If it's easy and cheap to replace, that's probably the better route.

Press-fit inserts worked like a charm! I realized only later that it'd be going into the shifter itself, not the cover, so I didn't want to replace the shifter unless I absolutely had to. There was barely enough material to drill out the hole, but it's in there. Thanks for the help everybody!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm thinking about getting a bolt/but/washer assortment to at least handle the bulk of my hardware needs. Prices and assortment sizes are all over the place.

Anyone done this and have a recommendation? I'd like something that came with its own cabinet and I guess has competitively priced "refills".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

angryrobots posted:

I'm thinking about getting a bolt/but/washer assortment to at least handle the bulk of my hardware needs. Prices and assortment sizes are all over the place.

Anyone done this and have a recommendation? I'd like something that came with its own cabinet and I guess has competitively priced "refills".

Some TractorSupply-type stores will sell you grade 5 hardware by the pound. For random imperial stuff, I just make my own assortment that way. I've tried buying sorted kits and even bought expensive "every bolt you'll need to restore an MGB" deals, but it's never been worth the hassle for home stuff.

boltdepot.com owns for everything else.