Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Really wish I stocked up more. We use them all over the place, from handling raw meat, bathroom cleaning, aside from the typical auto work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I went to get some from McMaster and a pack of 20 was the same price as a pack of 100 PVC gloves.

Looking now, those prices have come down and for some reason, the PVC gloves I ordered are like 6x what we paid a month ago.

Thankfully, my mom has a discount and gets stuff at cost. :getin:

My mom mostly uses them in the garden and when shopping, I've been using them to clean out the mouse traps. We can deal with PVC.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BraveUlysses posted:

nitrile glove prices are bullshit now

Stock was limited but pricing seemed normal at Costco, 150 gloves for... $10?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm not sure how much we pay for them at work, but we get them by the case, (~10 or 12 boxes of 100 pairs) from some kind of industrial type supplier. U-line maybe, or one of those types. They don't seem to ever be out of stock. At least locally anyway.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gloves in the area aren't unavailable. Just not priced well. I know the 'rona was going to be an issue back in early February so I refreshed the emergency supplies which included 4 boxes of nitrile 9mm from HF. I'm just about out, but that's because I'm rebuilding a car. I think we'll start seeing supplies soon. National cases are on the rise, but manufacturers have had months to fill back orders. I'm actually surprised to see isopropanol back to normal prices before gloves.

Now if you want to see bullshit, I also ordered a foaming hand sanitizer dispenser identical to what you see in hospitals. Refills used to be 17ish, now they're over 40. Just going to manufacture my own at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

um excuse me posted:

Now if you want to see bullshit, I also ordered a foaming hand sanitizer dispenser identical to what you see in hospitals. Refills used to be 17ish, now they're over 40. Just going to manufacture my own at this point.

My employer also owns a distillery and when poo poo popped off they retasked everything into making hand sanitizer. We all got one free bottle (in a whiskey bottle lol) and I can buy extras for $15 per bottle so that's a nice perk.

As for gloves, Menards seems to be getting stock on the regular and prices seem to be not much higher than they were last fall.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

angryrobots posted:

Yeah, I've needed more for months. They're either out of stock or twice the normal price.

While they were a bit more than usual, I did find them in stock at Home Depot.

But yeah, a 100 pack I got on Amazon for $15 last year is now $35.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nitrile manufacturers have told us to expect 50-200% price hikes in the coming months with many having horrific deliveries. Apparently it's all shortages and time from getting the raw material. Unless you need nitrile, you'd be better suited with something like vinyl or even a washable if possible your application.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What was a bit lucky was that I knew I was going to paint my truck and I bought a full face mask and filters early, and a bunch but not enough gloves. I for sure would have been SOL for all of that stuff. I bought some masking paper in May? And got gloves simply because they had them for a reasonable price.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The iso shortage was/is wild, just completely unavailable anywhere. I got some from the 55 gal drum at work at the end, did it ever come back into stock?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone have a dual battery 18 volt Makita charger they would want to sell me?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Arson Daily posted:

Anyone have a dual battery 18 volt Makita charger they would want to sell me?

Where are you located?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

My employer also owns a distillery and when poo poo popped off they retasked everything into making hand sanitizer. We all got one free bottle (in a whiskey bottle lol) and I can buy extras for $15 per bottle so that's a nice perk.

As for gloves, Menards seems to be getting stock on the regular and prices seem to be not much higher than they were last fall.

Yeah, pretty much every distillery got into making hand sanitizer. Pivoted on a dime. I can't think of one that didn't. It's super easy with the largest issues being legal. As for supply the biggest issues quickly became the non-active sanitizing agents, like gel factors, skin conditioners (aloe), etc. Most seem to be back to making the sweet, sweet booze because holy poo poo, that is one market that didn't slow down during this bullshit.

The normal industry has largely regrouped to deal for higher demand in the long term.

Most PPE has stabilized, but a lot of stuff you wouldn't even think about, like earplugs has some hiccups on the horizon. Disposable coveralls (think those white tyvek bunny suits) are still on backorder but they are slowly getting filled.

3M still has most of their 95/97/100 production directly to the government/medical and first responder base but other domestic (Canada and US) companies are starting to make up the shortfall.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bolind posted:

Where are you located?

Reno

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Might be a bit far for it to be feasible price wise, but for like, :10bux: + shipping from the east coast I have one that.... may never have been unboxed from combo set I got. I love Makita poo poo but I really can’t justify the number of chargers I have.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

As long as shipping isn't like 50 bux I'll take it. Zip code is 89511 if you'd like to PM me a shipping estimate

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: just used these

OSU_Matthew posted:

Rare Earth Magnetic Hooks are stupid useful as well as magnetic parts trays.

to make a nice holder for my hydro flask full of mai tais when I made a beach trip this weekend. I hate having anything loose in the back and if I have the dogs in the rear I have to have everything off of the floor of the trunk area, so these are my new favorite toy.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Aquila posted:

I needed this so much last week:

Please tell me Wera has an Ifixit like kit in the works.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Not exactly what you are looking for, but there is this from Xiaomi / Whia:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07DWXJR33/?coliid=I2ER4FC6RJNVNN&colid=26WV9V7R57NCN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 21, 2020

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Nope.

But Wiha almost does:

Missing some of the more obscure stuff that the ifixit kit has.

Kinda expensive too Wiha 75965 MicroBit Ratchet Set

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Aquila posted:

Nope.

But Wiha almost does:

So I did just get that bit ratchet and my main complaint is if you grip it high around the head, it's really easy to knock the direction switch.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Any suggestions for a decent impact undriver? Type you hit with a hammer.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Colostomy Bag posted:

The impact driver from harbor freight is good but the bits that it comes with have a tendency to twist. I don't know of any other hobbyist-level sets to recommend; I got the Matco Tool set which while being half the price of the Snap-On kit is probably still way more than you're looking to spend. I work on cars professionally though so YMMV :shrug:

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I got an ARES brand one off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077D298R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has worked well for me.
As far as the bits, I suspect any cheaper one you might need to get some better impact bits eventually. But this one has done a perfectly good job of taking out everything I've asked it to.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not explicitly a fancy driver, but Wera has drivers meant to be used as an impact.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001NQQCC/

I definitely use this as an impact and not a chisel.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 22, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Not explicitly a fancy driver, but Wera has drivers meant to be used as an impact.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001NQQCC/

I definitely use this as an impact and not a chisel.
These are nice and good, but the kind they're talking about actually rotates when struck - not the same thing.

I have no idea if they're still obtainable, but I bought a Craftsman one ~5 years ago and it's still in the Very Well Made category. I think that Ares above is pretty equivalent - one cool thing (about both) is that you can take that adapter off the top and use it with any 1/2" socket, too.

I mean I don't know why you would, because Power Tools, but I guess if a battery is dead or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got a Lisle one because it was cheaper than an impact wrench.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002NYDRG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_szBKFbG3785FX

I don't know if I ever used it cause I ended up buying an impact wrench anyway.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Aquila posted:

Nope.

But Wiha almost does:

That's pretty close but sadly way more expensive, especially for no security torx.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ik Tekton makes one and their stuff hasn't let me down yet. https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uthor posted:

I don't know if I ever used it cause I ended up buying an impact wrench anyway.

These manual tools are better than an air / electric impact gun in one specific situation - trying to get a phillips screw out where you're fighting both stuck threads and a head that's trying to round out. The act of hammering also drives the bit into the screw to make round-out much less likely.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Heh, I bought it after having to use a chisel to get out a stuck phillips head screw, just haven't come upon that situation again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

These manual tools are better than an air / electric impact gun in one specific situation - trying to get a phillips screw out where you're fighting both stuck threads and a head that's trying to round out. The act of hammering also drives the bit into the screw to make round-out much less likely.

Yep. I always use mine for taking the screws out for brake drums.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

This (and rotors), and the screws that hold the inside door panels on my C10.

It's a cheap enough tool to have laying around for those one in a hundred times where you need it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I always thought driving a Philips head with a powered brapp (electric or pneumatic doesn't matter) is playing dangerous games because if it cams out it can slip several times and chowder the head before you can remove power. The manual impact driver won't do that because of all the force used to interlock the driver and head.

Is that not the case?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Plastik posted:

I always thought driving a Philips head with a powered brapp (electric or pneumatic doesn't matter) is playing dangerous games because if it cams out it can slip several times and chowder the head before you can remove power. The manual impact driver won't do that because of all the force used to interlock the driver and head.

Is that not the case?

You are correct and that is indeed the case. I use mine for Honda rotor retaining screws, salt-crusted screws, and various other tasks. Mine is a Proto, and eventually the bits fail. They're consumable, so I don't mind.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Because of how you apply the force with a hammer, those manual impacts bite in as hard as they turn.

Absolutely invaluable for removing Al screws in old Japanese carburetors, that are soft as cheese, corroded in place, and inevitably crammed to gently caress from using a Philips in a JIS screw.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Plastik posted:

Is that not the case?
As others said, this is true, but just to point it out, that’s exactly what IOC said :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

That's what I use my milwaukee demodrivers and 8lb sawed-off sledgehammer for. They usually spin out by hand after a few swings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

That's what I use my milwaukee demodrivers and 8lb sawed-off sledgehammer for. They usually spin out by hand after a few swings.

I really need to get some of those demodrivers. Rather than continuing to use regular screwdrivers to do a lot of the same anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They have them at home depot. No excuses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Elviscat posted:

Because of how you apply the force with a hammer, those manual impacts bite in as hard as they turn.

Absolutely invaluable for removing Al screws in old Japanese carburetors, that are soft as cheese, corroded in place, and inevitably crammed to gently caress from using a Philips in a JIS screw.

Related because it is both an impact screwdriver and JIS. If you work on any Japanese stuff you really should treat yourself to Vessel Impacta screwdrivers
https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megadora-Impacta-P2x150-Screwdriver/dp/B003BGZ9CO/

They make regular phillips too. Really really excellent, particularly on those little soft as cheese screws.