Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Already have a chop saw. Also, angle grinder, tin snips, sawzall, hacksaw, O&A torch.

Hmmmm.... We ain't got a plasma cutter yet.

What, no cold saw? No bandsaw?

You need to buy more tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm working on getting a 3mx1.5m CNC plasma table and a 2kw 1200x900mm laser cutter for the fabrication team at work, trying to figure out what calibration tests I need making first.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm working on getting a 3mx1.5m CNC plasma table and a 2kw 1200x900mm laser cutter for the fabrication team at work, trying to figure out what calibration tests I need making first.

Totally some sort of custom grill grate with logos.

Or a dickbutt branding iron for steaks.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bolind posted:

Or a dickbutt branding iron for steaks.

This, and sell me one too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I love tool reviews on Amazon.

I needed a jig to drill a ton of holes in a couple vanities So I'm looking through reviews of them in the $20 range because this is probably going to be a one-and-done. So most of them are what you expect, nothing great but better than what I could have concocted up.

Reviews griped about lack of instructions to put it together. It's basically 3 main pieces that fit one way. The jig has metal sleeves for the the guide holes. Someone gave it one star because the drill bit bore out the sleeves during use. After drilling 30+ holes, I for the life of me cannot figure out how in the hell someone could accomplish that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Does anyone have a recommendation on rechargeable AAA batteries & a charger?

I have a few flashlights that use AAAs, and at least one small device recharger that uses them, and I'd like to stop using alkalines for the lot. I may at some point decide to also want AAs, so a charger that handles both would be cool, but not explicitly required.

The Panasonic eneloops, if I recall correctly, are good, and they have a quick charger which cuts charging time in half, but does not support different sizes. Are there any other brands I should be looking at? If I get the Panasonic batteries, is there a better charger?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Eneloops are just nimh cells. Any nimh charger will work. Watch out because a lot of chargers that only work on pairs of batteries and that’s annoying.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have this Sanyo.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0REA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_N9V3WKG278S25SPBMBK7

It doesn't charge fast, but I have enough backups that it hardly matters. Does AA and AAA.

I alternate between Eneloops and Amazon Basics batteries, don't see much difference in my use case (Xbone controller, flashlights, remote controls).

Edit: it does only charge pairs...

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

quote:

impact socket talk

From a page or two back, these exist:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=impact+sockets+plastic&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

And I think are exactly what people wanted? Color coded and a plastic shell so they're non marring.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the sanyo linked above and this panasonic one, which is my favorite as it does charge singles and does AAA and AA: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BQ...ctronics&sr=1-6

IIRC the white amazon basics are the same as eneloops.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thanks guys, this helps. I think I had that sanyo charger at some point, but oof, I have no idea where it is now. I'm sure the batteries are 10+ years old, and I think were all AAs.

I grabbed Panasonic eneloops and their quick charger, much like the one linked just above (but black, because, obviously).

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have this Nitecore charger and it works great.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ikea LADDAs, or at least some of them, are the same as Eneloops as well. Should be quite a bit cheaper.

drat I really nee a bigger impact. The PO obviously didn't torque the lugnuts to spec on and it couldn't get some of them off as a result.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The nice thing about eneloops is they allegedly hold their charge for many years (just the white eneloops, not the black eneloop pro). So just keep some charged ones in a drawer and don't worry about quick charging them. Quick charging isn't great for battery cycle life anyway.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I also have a Nitecore charger from back when that flashlight expert goon recommended it. It's really nice to be able to plug any number of any type of battery into it and know it will work.

Only downside is if you buy anything related to 18650 batteries then Amazon will keep recommending vape paraphernalia for a while.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krakkles posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on rechargeable AAA batteries & a charger?

I have a few flashlights that use AAAs, and at least one small device recharger that uses them, and I'd like to stop using alkalines for the lot. I may at some point decide to also want AAs, so a charger that handles both would be cool, but not explicitly required.

The Panasonic eneloops, if I recall correctly, are good, and they have a quick charger which cuts charging time in half, but does not support different sizes. Are there any other brands I should be looking at? If I get the Panasonic batteries, is there a better charger?

AA but I think pretty relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzZrB974Zro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jXQNY6rve8

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

**edited to remove incorrect information**

Valt fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 20, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wait, what? :stare:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

I got weird vibes, but this is news. Proof?

: Edit: or are they thinking about the creepy farm guy who let kids ride on go karts and stuff? Davidsfarm?

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 20, 2021

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It would totally not surprise me that one of the few people on YouTube doing comparative video reviews of useful stuff without much filler garbage would get milkshake ducked.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I’m still hoping that Valt is referring to one of the other half-dozen farm-adjacent YTers who’ve been accused of grooming teens

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

monsterzero posted:

I’m still hoping that Valt is referring to one of the other half-dozen farm-adjacent YTers who’ve been accused of grooming teens

Same, since I don't hate these videos yet.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jesus come on.. proof?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
ah.. say it aint so, I really enjoy that guy's vids.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sharkytm posted:

I got weird vibes, but this is news. Proof?

: Edit: or are they thinking about the creepy farm guy who let kids ride on go karts and stuff? Davidsfarm?

That rings a bell...

I've not heard a single bad thing about project farm.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

monsterzero posted:

Oh god, Wasabi is right its davidsfarm that is the pedo guy I believe. Sorry a lot of these channels are pretty similar and searching for this stuff is terrifying.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Valt posted:

Oh god, Wasabi is right its davidsfarm that is the pedo guy I believe. Sorry a lot of these channels are pretty similar and searching for this stuff is terrifying.

Whew!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Should probably edit out project farm from that sentence, even if these forums (afaik) don't show up in Google searches.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Thank God. Davidsfarm was a loving evil poo poo. Project farm dude is just a nerd with big energy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

Project farm dude is just a nerd with big energy.

And a pedantic attention to detail that even I sit back and say :wow:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

sharkytm posted:

Thank God. Davidsfarm was a loving evil poo poo. Project farm dude is just a nerd with big energy.

Yeah, he reminds me of a guy I knew in college so I'm glad he isn't a milkshake duck.

meatpimp posted:

And a pedantic attention to detail that even I sit back and say :wow:

He deserves some sort of civil medal for testing things like hole saws and stepped bits. He's performing a genuine service to mankind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monsterzero posted:

He's performing a genuine service to mankind.

Also: Farmabago.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also: Farmabago.

He needs to get the Farmabago on shirts.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nobody:

Project Farm: Thank you for your comment!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
started working on this adorable little belt driven grinder today - I have a motor for it and this was fully functional up until the home made wooden stand for it succumbed age and termites

this thing was crusty - I still have a lot of cleaning to do, but my hands just cant take any more abuse for a few days.

planning on hitting it with the color that all vintage tools should be;

this stuff is RARE - i went to a local mom and pop hardware store and scored these 3 cans of it - I guess Hammerite stopped making this color a few years back and guys in vintage tool and radio communities have been paying up to $40-50 for a can of it - these cans have a date stamp of 08/2012 so... lets hope they work.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Call up Wilton and ask what they paint their vises with.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Wasabi the J posted:

Nobody:

Project Farm: Thank you for your comment!

dude no kidding. his fastidious attention to detail does not stop with uploading

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact wrench should I buy for car stuff? Like the kind of car stuff where you definitely want an impact wrench.

I have the 2555 M12 stubby, which is good enough for lug nuts, and maybe exhaust, but not axle nuts and big suspension bolts. (I bought it for installing with unistrut while up on a ladder, and it's great for that.)

Asking because there are dozens of models. I'll probably also get a mid-size M18 battery, but don't need the charger, etc.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

how are harbor freight's rechargeable stuff? i imagine its like a lot of HF's stuff, "all over the map" so i guess the question is, what harbor freight impact wrenches don't suck

their battery prices are downright cheap compared to everyone else's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd much rather buy a brand name and buy knock off batteries than even consider HF stuff if battery price is your main concern. HF is progressively getting better but I think something like Milwaukee vs HF is no contest.

Also if you're thrifty enough you can pop open battery casings and change out the cells yourself. If I'm not mistaken a lot of them are just filled with 18650s.