Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Coasterphreak posted:

I've been looking into getting some tools of my own, so that I don't have to keep borrowing my father's. Does anybody have recommendations on a good starter metric set of crescent/socket wrenches that falls somewhere between the bottom shelf at Harbor Freight and Snap On in price?

Also, any suggestions on an engine hoist that's not liable to do more harm than good?

On a side note, I've never realized how expensive Snap On tools are. gently caress. Me. Running. I look at my father's toolbox with a whole new level of respect, since it's probably worth more than any given car my family owns. I also now have a massive fear of losing any (more of) his tools.

Check your local Craigslist listings. Periodically you'll find people selling their tools, and often there are guys selling big sets of Snap On tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

oxbrain posted:

The auto parts stores around here carry tools that are slightly above HF quality, but 2-3x the price.

My expereince has been different. They're 2-3x more expensive and crap. The oil filter sockets from Autozone are far far worse than HF quality and the R134a puncture adapter from advanced is below it too. The electrical connectors are about the same but cost way more and in fact youd save so much on a pack of 50 at one vs the other you could buy HFs ratcheting RBY crimp tool

Craigslist and garage sales are the cheapest way to buy quality or midrange tools by far.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 5, 2010

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Splizwarf posted:

I dunno what the return policy on Kobolt, Husky, Stanley, and DeWalt is but they're comparable for quality AFAIK.

I've been sold on Kobalt for a while now as a replacement for Craftsman. I haven't tried out the warranty yet (nothing broken) but all the packaging says Hassle Free Replacement and apparently Lowes will replace anything anyway. I have heard of people getting broken Stanley stuff replaced there.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

MetaJew posted:

Right, lifting from the pumpkin is perfectly fine. But putting stands under the pumpkin or the half shafts sounds like an easy way to ruin your day.

I did find these stands, but at $90 a piece I don't think I'll be buying them any time soon.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200358558_200358558

These could be good, but I'd need to go find some rubber blocks or buy a few hockey pucks.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200313386_200313386

My favorite jacks and jack stands are US Jack. They're not widely availble in retail though.

http://www.usjack.com/

I buy mine through:

http://www.jackxchange.com/
http://www.jackxchange.com/products/D-41608.cfm

The US Jack Jackstands are bitchin, extra nice, extra welds around the perimeter, nice thick steel, and a double prawl design to lock the supports in place.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...45&keycode=0000

Engine hoist: $100

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RealKyleH posted:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...45&keycode=0000

Engine hoist: $100

I got the Hoist on Black friday for under $90. I do want that leveler though.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I've been sold on Kobalt for a while now as a replacement for Craftsman. I haven't tried out the warranty yet (nothing broken) but all the packaging says Hassle Free Replacement and apparently Lowes will replace anything anyway. I have heard of people getting broken Stanley stuff replaced there.

Seconding this.

I bought a Kobalt 1/2" drive ratchet and a 1/4" drive ratchet on clearance a couple of years ago. They are now my favorite ratchets over the Craftsman ratchets.

I broke both my Husky 15mm chrome sockets (they may or may not have been in an impact gun at the time) so soon I will be venturing to Home Depot to see about that lifetime warranty.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Landshark posted:

I bought a Kobalt 1/2" drive ratchet and a 1/4" drive ratchet on clearance a couple of years ago. They are now my favorite ratchets over the Craftsman ratchets.

The trouble for me is those round handles. I like corners on my handles, round handles are a lot harder to beat with a sledge.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Splizwarf posted:

The trouble for me is those round handles. I like corners on my handles, round handles are a lot harder to beat with a sledge.

You shouldn't be beating a ratchet with a sledge under any circumstances. Get the right tool for the job.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Yeah never hammer a ratchet. Sometimes a wrench if the situation requires an impact and you don't have one or you can't fit it.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Splizwarf posted:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=breaker+bar&Submit=Go

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ab0z posted:

Yeah never hammer a ratchet. Sometimes a wrench if the situation requires an impact and you don't have one or you can't fit it.

I...I love your new custom title.

RADL would make an excellent AI gang tag.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I...I love your new custom title.

RADL would make an excellent AI gang tag.

I like it better than his previous one, that's for sure.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

laymil posted:

You shouldn't be beating a ratchet with a sledge under any circumstances. Get the right tool for the job.

Exactly. Hitting hardened steel with hardened steel can chip or shatter your tools. It also wastes a lot of the striking force in the rebound.

This is what you should be hitting your ratchet with.

http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Hammer-Company-Hammers-117/dp/B000V7QZEW

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

oxbrain posted:

Exactly. Hitting hardened steel with hardened steel can chip or shatter your tools. It also wastes a lot of the striking force in the rebound.

This is what you should be hitting your ratchet with.

http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Hammer-Company-Hammers-117/dp/B000V7QZEW

Hopefully you're joking. Get a breaker bar and hit that. You can easily break your ratchet gear or pawl. The similar ratchet and pawl setups Ive seen are 45+ rockwell with many of them well over that. They will break.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

laymil posted:

Haha, this is a troll, right? The point of Craftsman tools is you make them the right tool for the job. :colbert:

Everyone posted:

:words:

If I had ratchets with no lifetime guarantee I wouldn't be beating on them. Also, I'd still make sure I had some I could beat on. Sometimes, a hammer and a ratchet go places that a wrench, a breaker bar, and an impact gun just can't go. Maybe if I had a wrench that I could mount deepwall sockets on, that turned... hmm.

Oxbrain, I'm scared of the Poison Hammer. Most common poisons just make you sick or kill you, lead makes you stupid. I'll probably still buy one eventually, though, because it's loving badass. And probably recast it right away with the Mr. Yuck face on the side.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 6, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Splizwarf posted:

If I had ratchets with no lifetime guarantee I wouldn't be beating on them. Also, I'd still make sure I had some I could beat on. Sometimes, a hammer and a ratchet go places that a wrench, a breaker bar, and an impact gun just can't go. Maybe if I had a wrench that I could mount deepwall sockets on, that turned... hmm.
None of my ratchets have lifetime guarantees, yet I beat on them all the same... because I don't give a poo poo. I've got 3 more just like them, and can replace them with another $5 set anytime I want. I've yet to break any, and it's sure not from lack of trying or wailing on them with hammers and breaker bars.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've only had one fail, and it was one a friend of mine found in the trunk of a junked car, and already broken when I got it. I unfortunately didn't realize it until my car was on the lift, oil drained, filter off... and only then discovered the ratchet was unable to tighten. So, moral of the story is to always carry a spare?

grover fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 6, 2010

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The lead hammer deforms on impact. For the same overall impact force the peak force might be 10-20x lower. The only way a lead hammer will break the ratchet is by simple overloading, which you're very unlikely to manage with a 5.5 lb hammer.

Breaker bars flex too much and can't fit into as tight of areas.

Splizwarf posted:

Oxbrain, I'm scared of the Poison Hammer. Most common poisons just make you sick or kill you, lead makes you stupid. I'll probably still buy one eventually, though, because it's loving badass. And probably recast it right away with the Mr. Yuck face on the side.

Of all the things you'll be getting on your hands while working on cars, a tiny amount of lead residue is the least of your worries. Wear gloves, wash up before eating.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 6, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The lead hammer is a framing problem, not a practical one. I know it's not dangerous, but...

Sort of like how liquid Teflon is poisonous as gently caress but biologically inert when it's solid so when that non-stick pan coating comes off in your eggs it's fine to eat, right? gently caress that, I'll stick with the Revereware (stainless w/ copper-clad bottom).

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
A lead mallet? What do you have against a deadblow? I have one that is at least 10 years old, so I know they last if you don't hit pointy poo poo with them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kynetx posted:

A lead mallet? What do you have against a deadblow? I have one that is at least 10 years old, so I know they last if you don't hit pointy poo poo with them.

Depends what you're going to be hitting. Damaging the hammer is less a concern than damaging the object you're hitting. Deadblow hammers would be devastating to old-school knock off spinners, for example...those cars came with lead hammers for just that reason.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I'm trying to figure this out. Explain it to me please.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kynetx posted:

I'm trying to figure this out. Explain it to me please.

Hitting a chromed surface with a hardened hammer will damage the finish on an antique item that's virtually irreplaceable...and even in the 60s when it could replaced, a new one cost a couple hundred bucks.

Edit: Here's some diagrams and whatnot for modern replacements for Sting Ray knock-offs.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Godholio posted:

Hitting a chromed surface with a hardened hammer

Who's doing that? This is what most people would call a dead blow hammer

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Lowclock posted:

Who's doing that? This is what most people would call a dead blow hammer

Ah, touche. Not really sure what I was thinking. But some people are stupid and use normal tools, and some people pay money to be in clubs that glorify using 40+ year old tools and parts. Some of us buy fake knock-offs so we don't have to deal with it and don't have to worry about the wheel flying off and taking a fender with it in case the spinner isn't tight enough.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would imagine a dead-blow hammer like that can't quite put the same amount of force into a knockoff wheel like a lead hammer could - the nylon in the dead blow has a lot of give to it.

I actually have a copper hammer from HF somewhere.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Raided Harbor Freight today and got my free tape measure, flashlight and screwdriver set.

Also I picked up this for $40 (raincheck and 20% coupon).

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Shot filled hammers don't work well swinging upwards.

My lead hammer is nearly 50 years old. When it gets too mushroomed from hitting pointy poo poo you recast it in a carved wooden block.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Commodore 64 posted:

Raided Harbor Freight today and got my free tape measure, flashlight and screwdriver set.

Also I picked up this for $40 (raincheck and 20% coupon).

Planning on hosting a murder?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Lead hammers also don't cause sparks, which is pretty useful in some environments (hitting slogging wrenches in piping work, for example).

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Anyone use Harbor Freight's spring compressors before? Any opinions on them?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43753

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I guess I have an irrational fear of lead as well, but I've got a couple soft copper mallets that work alright.

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup
Have an air compressor question I'm hoping someone here can help out with. I have a 7-9 year old Craftsman "Professional" 25 gallon compressor. The regulator on this thing seems to be completely shot. Regardless what I set with the knob, the regulated side pretty much follows 1:1 with the tank pressure. I can't get the regulated pressure to be under the tank pressure at any point.

So, what can I do with this? It's clearly out of warranty. Besides dragging it into Sears, can someone help me put together a set of items from McMaster-Carr that will work for me?

This compressor is primarily used for mechanical air tools or nailers - no painting or sprayers.

(Also, those jack stands kick rear end)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just buy a generic replacement regulator from wherever's cheapest?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

It doesn't look like it, but are there any wires leading from the regulator? If so, that's part of the control mechanism and you need to install a regulator downstream of it. If not, it's a simple swap job.

McMaster part number: 4959K51 is the one to go with. You could save $10 and get 41735K11, but it flows worse and is only rated to 125psi.

Don't use teflon tape, get some proper thread sealant. Bits of tape can come loose and jam in tools.
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80633-Thread-Sealant-PTFE/dp/B002QCBTA0/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1270674755&sr=8-18

Or do like InitialDave says, buy the $15 filter/regulator from HF and RTV that bastard on there. It'll work 99% as well, and won't leak if you don't gently caress with the filter drain too much.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Any recommendations for a aluminum service jack? That's serviceable? The 2 companies I buy shop jacks from doesn't have an aluminum model.

I'm looking for something around a 3 ton capacity for desert racing, it seems to be a real toss up between buying and replacing cheap chinese jacks a few times a year or shell out $800-1400 for a high end jack.

There's got to be something between Harbor Freight and Craftsman vs Pace and brunnhoelzl right?

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

oxbrain posted:

It doesn't look like it, but are there any wires leading from the regulator? If so, that's part of the control mechanism and you need to install a regulator downstream of it. If not, it's a simple swap job.

McMaster part number: 4959K51 is the one to go with. You could save $10 and get 41735K11, but it flows worse and is only rated to 125psi.

Don't use teflon tape, get some proper thread sealant. Bits of tape can come loose and jam in tools.
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80633-Thread-Sealant-PTFE/dp/B002QCBTA0/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1270674755&sr=8-18

Or do like InitialDave says, buy the $15 filter/regulator from HF and RTV that bastard on there. It'll work 99% as well, and won't leak if you don't gently caress with the filter drain too much.

No wires to the regulator, the tank pressure sensor is in the switch itself, I think. Thanks for the part number, wasn't sure as there was no tank pressure gauge on those just the regulated air side. Suppose I could throw a T-junction and another pressure gauge in front of this to handle that part. Those larger regulator/lubrication combos look good, just don't have the room above this tank for something like that. Could build up some vertical height with some piping, but concerned that would put too much pressure on that joint with that much leverage.

I have that same sealant here. Thanks to both of you.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

BigKOfJustice posted:

Any recommendations for a aluminum service jack? That's serviceable? The 2 companies I buy shop jacks from doesn't have an aluminum model.

I'm looking for something around a 3 ton capacity for desert racing, it seems to be a real toss up between buying and replacing cheap chinese jacks a few times a year or shell out $800-1400 for a high end jack.

There's got to be something between Harbor Freight and Craftsman vs Pace and brunnhoelzl right?

Get the Harbor Freight. I have this one and it's very well made and gets the job done. Then again I don't race in the desert.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

wav3form posted:

Get the Harbor Freight. I have this one and it's very well made and gets the job done. Then again I don't race in the desert.

Agreeing with this, light enough to carry around, easy enough to pump. I doubt youll be replacing a few per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wav3form posted:

The handle hex end is rounding off on mine. It barely rotates left and right now on the jack.