Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking about getting a vibratory tumbler to clean and polish a lot of the rusty but serviceable hardware holding my jalopy together after a colleague who restores motorcycles recommended it. I started looking in the Eastwood catalog before realizing their prices were probably extortionate and was wondering if the same sort of tumblers Cabela's and others sell for brass reloading were just as good (they're certainly cheaper).

Then I realized that HF sells them as well, and for even less; does anybody have any experience with the HF units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Also recommending this guy if you don't have a giant gently caress off air compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/automotive/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

Get some impact sockets, and enjoy your now free but, your labor tire rotations.

For what it's worth, I've just got 21-gallon and 12-gallon upgright compressors (both oiled), HF and Sears respectively, neither one of which comes even approaches the giant gently caress off class, and the little one actually gave me enough oomph to take the rusty bolts out of my Roadmaster wheels for the first time. Granted, I had to wait a little bit between each wheel, but still.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a small area to paint at some point (a dashboard) and wonder what I should be looking for/avoiding in a HVLP gun. At some point I have another, larger application in mind (the underside of the hood). I'd honestly probably just rattle-can the dashboard, though, if it weren't for the fact that I haven't been able to find anything even close to the original color.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I fired up my 12-gallon compressor yesterday and noticed that the oil in the gauge window was black. I expect this means it's time to drain and replace the stuff, but it hasn't been used extensively, so it kind of has me concerned. Should I be worried or am I doing something wrong? Is it normal for compressor oil to get black?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I am starting to think about shooting some paint in the kind-of-forseeable future and wonder what I should be looking for/avoiding in a HVLP gun. It's not for a large area- for a dashboard. At some point I have another, larger application in mind (the underside of the hood).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mooecow posted:

How much air do you have available? For the price you can't beat this HF HVLP. I bought one as a backup to my other spray gun and it works much better than I expected it to. I am running a small 21 gallon compressor and it keeps up reasonably well.

My biggest compressor is a 21-gallon HF job. I haven't been impressed with it so far. It certainly compresses, but the drain plug was the flimsiest goddamn thing I've ever seen and I managed to crush it out of shape the second time I used it. The motor assembly makes a... kind of rattling vibration I really don't like, though I admit I don't know if it means anything or not.

I over-engineered a replacement solution to the drain plug, only to find the regulator has crapped out and is apparently stuck wide open. I guess I expected too much from a $139 compressor of that size.

I'll check out the HF gun though, thanks!

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mooecow posted:

Is it model # 94667? I ruined the drain plug on it last weekend trying to take it out. I am just going to put a 1/4" petcock in its place. Also, mine was making a nasty rattling noise that was especially noticeable when the motor shut off. It turns out the plastic fan had worn down so it was loose on the shaft. So it would just sort of flail around and make noise.

Why yes it is! I went with the ball valve just for ease of use. The quasi-rattle mine makes is only present when the motor is running, though. At first I thought it might be the plastic shroud, but holding it in various places does nothing to modify the noise. I'll have to check the fan out.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sears didn't buy Ace- Ace is franchised. The three I visit have been carrying Craftsman tools for the last several months. Well, two of them, at least. Didn't take the time to check the third.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PBCrunch posted:

Ace always seems to have a better selection of nuts and bolts compared to Lowe Depot.

There's almost no comparison. Even the small Ace that's right by my house carries a better variety of fasteners and such. The much larger Ace near where I work is widget heaven. I love it. The only thing they haven't carried so far that I've needed were some odd trim screws I needed for my glovebox.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo.

Harbor Freight just opened a store where I live. They used to be a 45-minute drive.

I'm afraid for my wallet. :ohdear:

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Viggen posted:

The gas for that to return poo poo that came broken does tend to add up, after all.

Yeah, true enough. Too bad they weren't closer when my HF compressor turned out lovely. I also like their consumables like nitrile gloves; they're much cheaper than anyplace else in town.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've recently come into possession of a Precision Scientific vacuum pump just like this one:

It runs great. Heavy as gently caress, though. My first thought was that I was going to cannibalize the motor to use as a crude bench grinder, but it's only got a 1/3hp motor and frankly I'd prefer to have guards around the wheel anyway (and I don't feel like fabricating anything).

I know I could turn it into one heck of a brake bleeder but I don't have a lot of space, so I look askance at single-use machines. Unfortunately, I don’t know really know what exactly to use it for besides brakes. About half the cursory Google search results are “cool science experiments for the classroom,” a quarter are joke responses like “put it on your dick,” and most of the remainder are fabrication stuff like vacuum molding of plastic and leather, which I'm not doing, nor do I plan on ever doing. What other practical garage uses are there for this thing?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Huh. I imagine that if Craftsman becomes a store brand for Lowe's, Ace probably won't carry it anymore.

What's the general consensus on Harbor Freight's roller cabinets? I'm outgrowing the old smallish Companion set my wife bought me an age ago.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not sure which black one you guys are referring to but it's probably a lot like the thing I've already got. Due to space constraints I'm looking at the 16-drawer 26" models, but I'll be damned if I can figure out the difference between this one and this one. They look like exactly the same thing to me, but they've got different SKUs. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My ~40-year-old Craftsman 3/8” corded drill seems to have bitten the dust- recent egregious abuse involving a spade bit and a lot of fence-building has, I’m pretty sure, stripped its gears. I already have a pneumatic impact wrench for auto work and am looking at impact drivers. Are the Milwaukee M18 drivers as great as everybody here says the wrenches are? Any specific model recommendations?

I currently have no cordless tools besides a hand vacuum and if I’m going to finally join the current century I’d like to buy into a single battery ecosystem.

A lot of what I do is weekend warrior stuff but I’ve been getting a little friskier and ambitious with home renovation stuff lately.