Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
On my way to the store yesterday, I noticed a small yellow box sitting in a ditch. It was still there on my way back, so I stopped to look:

I found a Fluke on a fluke! :v: It's dirty and a little beat up, but I did some scientific tests* and it seems to read accurately. I dunno if someone threw it out or it fell off a truck, but it sure beats my lovely Radioshack multimeter.

*Tested a couple of resistors and jammed the probes into a wall socket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
I guess I have an irrational fear of lead as well, but I've got a couple soft copper mallets that work alright.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kind of a tangential question – are 12V impact guns worth a drat? I have a few of the brushless M12 tools and a bunch of batteries, so it’d be cheap to grab the 3/8 impact they offer, but reviews are scarce. I wouldn’t use it enough to justify a whole new 18V kit.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
If anyone has a Wilco Farm near them, they have the M18 Fuel Sawzall with the giant 9.0 battery and rapid charger marked down from $299 to $201. This made for a tricky impulse purchase, but I had just enough straps. :v:

I didn't even need a sawzall, but now I can order the bare M18 1/2" impact wrench and have some fun.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Any reason to get a 12" miter saw over a 10"? Besides bigger is more badass? I had this idea that I was going to be cutting all of these 4x4s, but probably not ever going to do that. I think a 10" slider should cover 95% of my needs?

I bought a fixed 12" because it takes less space to store than a sliding 10". If that's not an issue, the sliding 10" is probably more useful. And like StormDrain says, the 12" blades are more expensive.

I like my DW716 though, it's dead accurate and the XPS light that casts a shadow of the blade on the wood is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
Rangers of that era come with a teeny little bottle jack (at least, my '05 did). It still sucks to use, but it feels a lot safer than your standard scissor jack.