Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

happyscrappyheropup posted:

I have one of those Craftsman aluminum jacks and it does suck.

I prefer my Costco Arcan 3.5 ton monster jack for most of my garage lifting duties. Nice, high lift and it's got a low enough height to fit under my lowered C5 and 1st-gen Camaro. It is heavy, but I'm a big guy and don't give a poo poo :)

The best thing is the price, it was ~$69 when I bought it a couple years ago.

Amen to that! However it's totally overkill that I have my Mini....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
This thread has been so dangerous for my wallet, it's truly scary. I've been collecting tools now for about 7 years, but it always seems like there's more I need. This is my current setup, not pictured is another top box and 2 handyman toolboxes stuffed full.

I just got my first Snap-On tool. I traded a decent Husky workbench I bought on clearance for it. I was asking $100 for the workbench and when the guy offered me the Snap-On I didn't believe him at first.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

The Third Man posted:

So how big of a crapshoot are used snap-on torque wrenches on ebay? I like the idea of having a tool that I can be confident will last me the rest of my life, but would it be smarter to just save up and buy it new?

I don't think it's a big deal. You can have them re-calibrated by snap-on. Just make absolutely sure you're getting a legit snap-on wrench. The one I got had a re-calibration 8 weeks before I bought it. It had paperwork to prove it, which was really nice.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'd also consider the Craftsman pro series. You can get a decent kit without breaking the bank. Throw it in a harbor freight rolling cart and splurge for a few of the nice bits. You should definitely have real vice-grips in standard and needle nose, a few different hammers and probably a good adjustable wrench. There's been a nice vice-grip style Stanley adjustable wrench linked here a hundred times that if I was just starting out again I'd get. Consider getting one tool that's unique that not a lot of people have seen. Something like the koloss ratchet/hammer, if the new kid has a quality tool the old timers haven't used or seen it can mean a lot. I also highly recommend some wobble extensions.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
x-post from the stupid question thread because it's about a tool and a stupid question:

I was just offered an older Hobart TIG welder for $400. It's a 230v water-cooled Unit and I did see it work. I don't know a lot about TIG, but I want to learn. I've been using a cheap Harbor-Freight flux core welder for like an hour every night, I've just been sticking stuff together but I really enjoy it. This thing is BIG, I'd say the unit itself is close to 3 feet deep/tall and 2 1/2 feet wide. It comes on a cart with the entire water-cooling setup and I'd have to buy my own bottle.

It looks like this one, but with an extra knob and a cart/watercooling setup.

I can't afford a newer TIG like a dynasty. Should I buy this?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mooseykins posted:

I'd say go for it. Is as DC or AC/DC? AC is needed for welding ally. Also check what the minimum output is, as being a 3-phase machine it's probably something like 300A-capable, which is well into 3/8" mild steel territory, and that gets pretty fuckin' hot! Hobart is a good brand, and that's an industrial grade machine. Do you have/can you get 240v 3-phase at home or where you'd be using it?

TIG welding is both great fun and extremely rewarding. Don't listen to anyone who says that TIG is "Really hard" or that you "Have to be taught by a professional". I taught myself by doing a relatively small amount of reading on setting up the machine and welding amerpages, and then watching tutorials by Welding Tips & Tricks on Youtube. (That guy is fuckin' awesome, by the way!) If i can do it, anyone can as i have almost no patience and the hand-eye co-ordination of a blind amputee.

It's AC/DC and it looked like it went down to 35A. My garage is already wired for it, it's a long story but apparently this welder was actually used in my shop before I moved here. I think it also has a second lever adjuster on the right hand side that the one in the picture doesn't have. I should have taken a pic, but I got a bit excited when he gave me the price.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mooseykins posted:

Sounds good, 35A is about what you'd use for 1/16" mild steel, so if you want to do thin sheet it may not have a low enough range. However i think the lowest i've run my machine was 18A to repair a flexi section on a stainless exhaust for a DB6, gently caress doing that again..

Good that it has AC though as well.

If you buy it, get the biggest gas bottle you can find. You'll rinse it pretty quick, TIG is addictive.

Good to know, I've got the flux core for really thin stuff. After some practice I've been able to draw a clean bead on as thin as 22 gauge. I don't know how much stainless/aluminum I'll be doing to start, but I definitely want to learn. I'm going to check out that guys youtube channel, I've been having a hard time finding good guide/walkthroughs.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Viper915 posted:

I'm trying to fit a tool chest into a relatively small area. I'm looking at 24"-26" wide, something like a top chest. I've looked at a few craftsman ones just because sears is nearby, but I recall hearing that they're not quite up to snuff. I don't want to spend more than like $250, and it's honestly not going to be super heavily used. Any reccomendations or will a $100-$150 sears or lowe's chest be ok for moderate use tool storage in my apartment? I can't seem to find anything that size from harbor freight either.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-drawer-top-chest-67423.html It's 26" and 3/4. I hate to recommend this, but check out Home Depot (I hate that place) Husky toolboxes are pretty drat nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I did a thing... I got it for $400, I'm torn between keeping it and selling it to finance a new Everlast machine. What does the collective think? If I keep it I have to put a larger breaker in, it's max draw is like 74 amps or something. A newer machine is around 40 something amps for an inverter based machine. This one has a weldcraft wp-20 torch and a Bernard liquid cooler system.