Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My Google skills are failing me, does anybody in the UK know where I can get hold of a set of spline drive sockets in a real brick and mortar store? If you cold narrow it down to Berkshire that'd be a bonus. I was planning on swapping out the driveshaft on my Polo tomorrow, but didn't realise until just now that the thing is held onto the diff with spline bolts. :argh:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
God drat, I forgot Halfords even existed. :downs: That's exactly what I'm after I think, thanks.

The bolts look like Torx-style ones, but with 12 lobes, internal. The Haynes manual calls them spline bolts so I just took the name from that.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Gimme a minute, I'll grab a camera.

*Edit* Or not, I'll go on another hunt for sockets.

Urge to kill...rising....

*Edit 3* Bollocks to this, I think I'll just order one from snap-on and do the work next weekend.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 17, 2010

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Colonel K posted:

To get the list of vat free evenings did you just sign up for the e-mails or do you have an account with them.

I ask this because I've bought a few things over the years from them ( couple of welders, compressor and other stuff) but for some reason I've never received the notifications of the evenings.

I've got my eye on the 26cfm petrol motored compressor, but as it says "not for use inside the EEC I'm not sure if they'll sell it.

I haven't given them my e-mail address ever and I got the same invite. Dunno if you have to spend £x within a certain time-frame, I've bought a ton of bits and pieces there over the last 3 months.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My neighbour's wife just lent me a mystery tool that saved my rear end, and now I want one for my very own but don't know what it's called. It looked like a crows foot, but one jaw was hinged so it tightened itself onto the bolt head as you turned it. It also had a fixed vertical post about 1 foot long with a T-bar on the top to turn it. Any permutation of "x crows foot" I can think of doesn't find it.

I asked to borrow a 13mm spanner and she came back with that and a 13/16" spanner. :3:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Where do you live that there aren't trees outside?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Do dumps where you guys are not take used oil? Almost every one I've been to in the UK accepts used oil & containers, it all just gets slopped into a big tank.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It might be something like a British pipe thread, which can come in tapered or un-tapered flavours. I feel for you though, tracking down mystery thread forms is probably one of my least favourite engineering tasks.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If it's an M8 thread then a 3/8" bolt shouldn't have screwed in at all and would be noticeably big, 3/8" is ~9.5mm.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
For actual content Halfords are bundling a 5-drawer rolling cabinet and 7-drawer cabinet together for £200:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&action=discount&promotionCode=219139

If we were a couple of months down the line I'd be all over this, but I don't have anywhere to put the things at the moment. Can't vouch for the quality at all but my local store has had one of the 7-drawer ones on display filled with (broken) tools for months and the drawers seem to cope well with the weight.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

When I was at uni, about half of my contemporaries on the mechanical engineering course did not know what a lathe was. I weep for the species.

My Uni was excellent for this, we spent a morning a week for the first month at a proper technical school over the road learning basic machining, inspection etc. and our entire first year revolved around building an RC car from scratch out of alu/steel etc. The fewer parts we bought the more our final mark was weighted, and we had a nice if small machine shop at Uni to get it all done in. This was in 2009.

Fast forward and at the start of last academic year we moved into our enormous new engineering building to find the manual machine shop has more than halved in size/capacity and a bunch of CNC lathes & mills were going to be installed. People starting the course this year get given a whole front and rear end of the car and have to simply join them up, with all the machining being taken care of by workshop staff programming/running the machines. :sigh:

Plus to fund all of the new machines the Uni compressed 39 staff jobs around the workshops into 25 & made everybody re-apply for their jobs. I know a lot of the most experienced staff were nearing retirement anyway and have called it quits so a ton of knowledge has just been lost too.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If I didn't already own basically the entire set in piecemeal form I'd take that off you in a heartbeat. As it is I'm eyeing up their £200 tool chest offer again, I could probably convince myself I deserve it. :v:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
*E* Too slow.

They're useful for doing up stuff like fuel pipes, where you need a torque setting but can't get a real socket onto it.

Related, I bought that 7 & 5 drawer Halfords tool chest combo today, seems reasonably well made and is a drat sight better than my old plastic tool box. Shame about those stickers, any tactic for peeling them off cleanly?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I love new tools:

Christmas presents that I'm finally getting to use, new bike work stand and (kinda) my new tool chests. Why didn't I buy a proper toolbox sooner this beats the piss out of having lumped together in one box.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
This isn't a tools question exactly but I'm not sure where else to ask. Do any UK goons know where a regular punter can get hold of decent nuts & bolts, e.g. grade 10.9/12.9 cap heads etc? Preferably at a retail counter if possible.

I used to get them from work but since moving to aerospace everything's heat resistant in nonsense inch sizes and it's a pain putting up with my local garage's inane parts counter.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Should have mentioned I'm in Coventry, so yes. There's a Fastenal nearby too, I'll give both a ring tonight and see if they have a retail counter.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
You have both metric and inch sockets/spanners, right? Ramps are always nice although they might not be so useful for a resto job when the wheels have to come off. Do you ahve a solid set of jack stands and a trolley jack? I'd get those first.

I always forget about them but a good set of pliers is a god send, especially if you have a range of long and angled needle-nose pairs. There's a ton of jobs I've done I've slapped my forehead going back to the toolbox and remembering they were there after the fact.

There's always a big loving sledge for some percussive maintenance too, and random poo poo that you'll only need once in a blue moon like beaing pullers, brake hose flaring tools (a cheap one will possibly drive you to madness).

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Power it with a Mini engine.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I can't comment on HF in particular but cheap flare wrenches are absolutely one of the worst tools, you'd probably have more luck and end up with the same result trying to throw a pair of vice grips on there.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Ah, I'd jump on that but I think I already own everything in it piecemeal. :(

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I used to work in a gearbox shop and have never seen any reversible or interchangeable head snap ring pliers worth a drat. One of the only situations where I won't even try and make-do with what I have before running to the tool shop if I don't have the exact tool on hand.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Semi-related, an old neighbour gave me a real forehead slapping moment when he told me to crack the filter loose before warming the engine up, then spin it back on by hand so it's piss-easy to remove with the engine hot and you don't burn your hand because somebody put the exhaust manifold <2cm from the filter.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Oo that might be useful, I seem to have misplaced like all of my commonly used ones from last time I bought that set.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I hate them because when I had Jesus hair I used to run it over all the time and now reflexively flinch when I use one. :supaburn:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I've seen a naive engineering student specify "M9.525-24 UNF" on a drawing, but he was from a totally metric country and had just been told by a gruff workshop technician that he needed a UNF thread on something. :3:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

bolind posted:

Hmmm, that got me thinking; is there such a thing as an internal rolled thread? Is it InitialDave who bitches about makes fasteners for a living?

Yep, you can form internal threads as long as the material is ductile enough. I've only seen it done on super-critical fasteners or where money is no object though* and from what I remember the pull out strength is much more closely linked to the pilot hole size than with a normal cut thread.

*The same holes typically had MJ13 threads in them because M14 was too big and M12 wasn't quite strong enough for comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Oh my god I finally got to use my Christmas Dremel for the first time and it's hilarious fun. Suddenly every problem looks like it can be solved with some sort of rotary tool.

In sadder news I seem to have lost my impact screwdriver. To be fair I haven't seen it for like 7 years but I assumed it was always in the bottom of a toolbox somewhere. RIP impact driver 2007-2010(?).