Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

It's not a tool but drat do I love Meguiar's gold class liquid wax. I'm an idiot when it comes to cleaning and waxing but even I can get awesome results with this stuff. I want to lick my car it so shiny and smooth now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Can anyone comment on a random orbit wax/polish tool like this Harbor Freight one? Can they damage the finish if you're not careful or are they less powerful than more professional buffing tools? This weekend I want to clay bar, polish, and put a couple coats of wax on my car. I'd love if a power tool can save me some pain with the polish and wax.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

blindjoe posted:

I have a Simioniz version of the same thing, and it will not damage your paint. It doesn't spin like a real buffer, and is really only good for rubbing off wax. It would take an awful long time for you to do any damage to your paint. If you want to just use it so you don't have to rub so much when taking the wax off, it will work.

Thanks for the advice. Does it work well to apply liquid wax or polish too?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Kynetx posted:

You're never lifting the entire weight of the car.

Also 3 tons = ~6000 lbs. so those jack stands can hold more than you might think.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

devnull420 posted:

I bought this porter cable kit:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-udmsfx-kit.html

which comes with 6" polishing pads, and had to go down to 4" pads to get enough cutting power. I'd also recommend the XMT polish over the Sonus. Your needs might be different, but I bought a used black car and it looks like the previous owner took it an automatic car wash weekly - swirl marks everywhere. The porter cable with 4" pad and the XMT intermediate swirl remover helps, but it still takes multiple applications of polish to get an area looking better.

drat, I'm in the same boat with a black car that is loaded with swirl marks from what looks like a carwash. I think the PC one is out of my budget and experience right now. I'm going to grab a Craftsman 7" random orbit polisher and give it a shot this weekend, worst case I'm only out $30. I'm hoping clay bar, scratch remover, polish, and wax will at least knock down the swirl marks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Yeah Sears was actually out of all the 7" bonnets, apparently they're switching suppliers or something so they won't be in stock for weeks. It's supposed to rain anyways this weekend so I might hold off on detailing the exterior a week.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

FYI Loctite variety pack of sticks for $20 at Amazon's Friday sale. Not sure if this is the normal price but it was mentioned earlier that these are super useful.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Wow looks like Amazon sold out of the Loctite and another seller is offering it at the lowest price. It was $20.65 last night and sold through something that was fulfilled by Amazon (so prime shipping applies). At $24 it still doesn't seem like a bad price though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Might be really obvious but if you use a california water blade to dry your car make sure to clean the blade from time to time. I found some nice scratches I put on my paint from some grit stuck to the blade. Luckily they polished out reasonably well.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Picked this up for 99 cents:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

Why?

It's kind of goofy?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic for $22. There's a $10 rebate you can get from this slickdeals thread which brings it down to $12 for 5 quarts. Insane deal, I was able to find one jug locally.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

I have that Craftsman jack and stands because it was like ~$30 on sale a few years ago. It's not bad and can hold my porky GTO without any problems. My only complaint is that its heavy for its small size and takes a lot of pumps to get a car up. For the price its not bad.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

ChiliMac posted:

Do they have any %off entire purchase? I don't think I have any big items I want at the moment.

It's more rare but does happen once or twice a year 20% off entire purchase.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

I wouldn't hesitate to get a HF torque wrench again. Wait until there's a sale and 20% off coupon, you could probably pick one up for under $15.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Has anyone used the HF knock-off of the MityVac vacuum bleeder? I want to change the clutch fluid and I figure this will be a lot cleaner and easier for me to do alone.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 27, 2009

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

So I just rounded off my oil drain plug bolt. There's one good side left that I can probably get some vice grips on, anyone think that will work? How well do those gator grip sockets work?

gently caress 12 pt. box wrenches though, christ!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Alright I was able to break the bolt free with my biggest vice grips. Luckily no need to get fancy extractors yet. Thanks for the advice!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

The coupon fine print says it can't be duplicated or printed, do you know where you can get the real flyer?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

How are HF spring compressors, a death trap or good for the occasional spring change?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Just picked up everyone's favorite lightweight aluminum racing jack from HF and god drat is it a huge improvement from my Craftsman floor jack. This thing is drat nice for $60, I'm very impressed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

That impact wrench looks great, especially if it can get big suspension bolts off without huge breaker bars.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Maybe not the right place to ask (also could've been asked but I missed it), but do you guys have any recommendations on good starter tools to buy? I always used to borrow my dad's socket set for stuff before, but I live 3,000 miles away from home, and I'm completely tool-less.

What's a good laundry list of must-have tools for someone just getting into doing their own mechanic stuff? I doubt I'll go much past changing my own oil, but I'm a cheap bastard who will replace non-complicated stuff to save cash. So I doubt I'll need an engine hoist, but it'd be nice to know what tools would be handy to have around if I wind up doing something a bit more advanced than changing an air filter.

I imagine a decent socket set is indispensable. Anything else?

Costco has a nice set for about $100 with the Crescent brand name. It has sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. Get that and a nice jack with jack stands like everyone's favorite Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack (don't forget some tire chalks to be safe too).

edit: Looks like this is the tool set: http://toolmonger.com/2009/12/08/co...escent-toolkit/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

The torque wrench for is a great deal too, perfect for tightening wheel lug nuts.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Black88GTA posted:

I just bought a fiberoptic borescope with 3.5" wireless LCD monitor and SD-card video recording capability.

While on a mundane run to Home Depot to buy an extension cord and bolts, a Milwaukee branded borescope with a small attached screen caught my eye. Looked cool, but I'm not spending $250 on that - even though the number of times something like this would have come in incredibly handy, and the time it would have saved me to have it when I needed it would have made it pay for itself 1000x over by now. Of course since I'm a huge nerd and electronic LCD gadgets get me all , I just couldn't let it go, and kept thinking of times when I would have killed to have access to this type of tool, and how awesome it would be to have on hand for next time...

So, my curiosity now up, I went home and got on the internet in search of a low quality cheap Chinese knockoff version. Lo and behold, I found one at Harbor Freight for $99, detachable wireless monitor and all (which the Milwaukee lacked). Awesome! So, I was gearing up to buy this one, when I caught wind of a version floating around with a larger screen and the ability to record videos to an SD card...

Now the one I was going to get wasn't good enough anymore and I had to find the fancy one for sale. Find one I did - on Ebay with a BIN of $160, which I promptly bought. I have a bad habit of impulse buying tools though, it's starting to get expensive.

That's not as bad as me buying a Hitachi table saw for $100 just because it was a good deal and shipping was free with Amazon prime. I think Amazon spent more to ship the saw (a big 100lb box) with 2-day DHL than the thing was actually worth. I live in a condo so there's really no place for me to actually use the saw and its sat in a closet for a couple years now. Tool impulse buys are always the worst.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

You would think someone who worked with 50k volt lines would have a healthy belief in god.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Not sure the best place to post this but there's a good deal on K&N oil filters at Amazon. From Fatwallet http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/987752/ you can find the oil filters for ~$10 each plus buy 3 and get $5 off. In most auto part stores these are $15+ filters, but in my experience worth the extra money for cars you care about. I just bought 6 of them and should be stocked up for a few years of oil changes.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

frozenphil posted:

What is your experience with K&N oil filters that leads you to believe they are better than other, cheaper, oil filter?

I always send my oil out for analysis and haven't had any signs of wear or abuse yet. I don't think it's all from the filter though, in general yeah a cheap filter is fine. With the K&N filters I like the intgrated nut that makes removal easy.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

I've never used one but I imagine firefighters get a huge hard-on when using the jaws of life to rip poo poo up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Ace was actually the only local place I could find high grit sandpapers.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Anyone seen these in-store? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=94421 I just saw them in the lastest sale circular (though they're not on sale ).

Looks like a nice alternative to my electrical-tape-wrapped sockets, or is there something better to use for lug nuts that won't mar wheels?

I have this set http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=40035 which isn't high torque but similar (who uses an impact gun on their lug nuts though??). It's a great set--use one of the 20% off coupons to knock the price down a bit. The sockets are surprisingly heavy and decent quality for Harbor Freight.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

I would add to the buy list:

- Breaker bars

- Clicky torque wrenches (not for mission critical stuff)

- LED head lamp (usually under $3)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

That's really impressive for a torque wrench you can get for like $10 on sale.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

New rotors for my GTO are around $500. drat Australian part markups.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Can anyone comment on Harbor Freight's 3 ton aluminum jack stands? I was looking at a set and like their light weight (I can't do work on my car at my place so I have to haul the jack and stands to a garage all the time) but are they a death trap?

These are the stands: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...ands-91760.html

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

I just saw Harbor Freight has some nice workbenches on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/work-s..._campaign=3610C

http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb..._campaign=3610C

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-dr..._campaign=3610C

http://www.harborfreight.com/wood-t..._campaign=3610C

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Anyone know where I can get a cheap metric M12-1.75 tap in stores? Harbor Freight has one in a big 60 tap kit, but I just need this one to clean out the rust from some nuts.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

See if you have a Grainger, McMasterCarr or MSC local to you using their websites.

Great suggestion, I have a Grainger nearby and this looks perfect for me: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WE...LXP6?Pid=search

edit: Oops it looks like one of the cheap HF tap sets does have a M12-1.75 tap too--I think I'll go for that since I need a tap wrench anyways.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 14, 2010

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Brigdh posted:

looking for a recommendation for a good digital dial caliper that won't break the bank.

Thanks

I'm not sure how good it is, but I like this cheap Harbor Freight one: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch...iper-47257.html It measures stuff well enough for me but I don't have really exacting needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006

Maybe you just need a bigger oil pan? The stuff I've seen in auto part stores these days are really crap--barely 1" lip and the size of a small dinner plate so I could see oil splashing everywhere.