Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Much love for Harbor Freight. Most stuff is adequate, but the sockets and wrenches are drat near as good as Craftsman with as good a warranty.

Sockets, I'll agree with you, but their wrenches are awful. My main gripe is their length; much shorter compared to other wrenches, but I find them hard to clean and they have a really cheap feel to them.

Personally, I like my set of Husky wrenches. However, I do plan on getting a metric set of SK flank drive wrenches soon.

My most recent visit to a local estate sale landed me quite the angle grinder. For a measly ten dollars, it has a 7.6 amp motor and came with a few nice accessories (wire cup brush, few cut off wheels, and a sanding disc). I had never used Kawasaki power tools previously but I'm very impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Can anyone recommend a rechargeable work light?

I've found these: Harbor Freight, of course; A Terralux, A Stanley, and a Bayco.

Would really appreciate any suggestions or advice.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 30, 2011

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ordered the Bayco, will report back.

Do you guys find the headlamps a little disorienting? Do you find you get tunnel vision?

Also, any good advice for organizing a workspace?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Since you guys brought up safety glasses, I did a little digging:

First, Zenni Optical does not sell safety glasses, they have not been tested to meet Z87 specs. I did suggest they make some in the future.

Wal-Mart has a decent selection, frames start around $25 and lenses are $60. However, a local university might be another good place to check. I live near the University of Minnesota. Through Boynton Health Services, you can purchase prescription safety glasses--supposedly for as little as $50.

I am considering buying an air compressor, mostly for running an impact gun, but I would love to be able to spray paint as well. Are any of Harbor Freight's units decent? What else should I know? They do offer warranties and purchase price credit, if you decide you want to upgrade. I could do it this month, but I am not pressed. The first ones would be ideal, the last could get the job done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/compressors-oil/2-horsepower-150-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-68127.html

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/puma-135-psi-20-gallon-air-compressor/0000000003375

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/compressors-oil/2-1-2-half-hp-10-gallon-125-psi-air-compressor-67708.html

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Anybody know of a good/cheap way to pick up the individual sockets I'm missing? Just pick them up in a store, or is there a good source online?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What are some good, semi-portable air compressors? There's Harbor Freight I know, but what about a Sanborn or Puma? Is the premium worth it? It'd see mostly light use, but being able to run an impact is kind of a must. On that note, I know the cordless impacts are quite powerful these days. What would you pick between the two?

There are Wera sets, and they look sweet. Check out http://www.wera.de/?L=1

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

rdb posted:

Brushless cordless impact. Makita, dewalt, Milwaukee all make good ones. A portable compressor is going to have trouble keeping up with a good air impact.

Compared to something like this? - https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html

Or - https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/puma-135-psi-20-gal-air-compressor/0000000003375?Ntt=puma

Maybe what I mean is something I can wheel around, not something I can easily just toss in the car. The cordless impacts are awfully tempting, and I can't say I'd need much more than that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm a weekend warrior, so it's really upkeep/repair on the family cars. That all makes sense on the compressor front, I'll have to give it some thought.

As for a tool I can afford at the moment, what are some good electric cut-off tools? How's this - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Genesis-3-in-High-Speed-Electric-Cut-Off-Tool-GCOT335/300537385

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

OK, I relent. Before the winter tire rotation, I'll pick up a cordless brushless impact wrench. I'm guessing it's a flat-out no on the HF ones, right? I see a Dewalt is only a bit more, for a brand with a far better reputation.

Also, I do have a 4 1/2" angle grinder. I always feel shaky with it and a little unsure of myself when I need it most. Guess I'll just have to practice a bit more with it.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 23, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

There doesn't seem to be much of a happy medium--it's either 100 ft. lbs or 1000. I'll do suspension stuff, axles, timing belts, junkyard run, et cetera, so I think I'd rather have the power even at the cost of bulk.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Timing belts aren't a common job for me (those things are cool though), I was listing things I've done in the past.

Anyway, I'll give it some thought, and maybe try to look at some too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m considering the Dewalt XR 1/2” impact and found two versions, a 4.0 and a 5.0Ah, $300 or $350 with a charger. Any reason to choose one over the other? I’d say it will get used but not all the time, mostly for my family’s cars and odd jobs around the house.

Likewise, any other recommendations? The power/price of the Dewalt is pretty appealing, but if I could save a bit I wouldn’t mind.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Will any M18 battery/charger fit the 2860?

Is something like the Dewalt 880 too light for lug nuts, et cetera? Or a Milwauke 2754?

I hear y'all on picking up a lighter impact, and I think it would make sense for me. Any good $200-300 options (with a charger and battery)?

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 29, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like Home Depot's running some pretty good deal on Milwaukees:

3/8" Fuel Kit
1/2" Fuel Kit

Now to pick between the 3/8" and 1/2".

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

AVE tore into a pretty damned nice looking Harbor Freight 20v 1/2" impact yesterday.

I may look for a deal on one of those, perhaps instead of a 1/2" medium DeWalt. :ohdear:

I think everybody here would have a hard time recommending the HF. They haven't been around long enough to prove whether or not they're good. Besides that, there isn't the ecosystem in place that the pro-grade brands do.

Personally, I just bought the Milwaukee 2860 1/2" Mid Torque wrench. I know their tools are more expensive, but I like knowing that it's going to do what I want it to do. There's also a ton of tools that run on the same battery. If you're OK with eBay, you can definitely find good deals on them too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm going to start painting at my house soon. I'm going to need a ladder for this, and I'm thinking one of the multi-purpose ones will be best. It's kind of a toss-up between the 22' and 17' though. Any advice one way or the other? My gutters are kind of high (probably 12' off the ground), so I'm kind of thinking get the 22', and get as much as I can out of that. Space is a bit limited in the garage, so it'd be better to have one than a bunch.

Here are the two I'm looking at: Gorilla Ladders 17' and Gorilla Ladders 22'.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I use 14’ones at work, and they are awesome and, useful, and great. They are also heavy, and I’d imagine the 22’ one is probably heavy enough to make most people not want to use it.

Do you have high vaulted ceilings or entrance stairs that would require this kind of ladder? Besides the fold out max length, their big use is for stairways since you can lengthen just one side.

I've got two stairwells that will need something at least 10' long, so maybe I could get by with the 13'. My dad has one too, so I might bug him to bring it along next time I see him. I definitely see where a 6' fiberglass ladder would be a great general purpose ladder, but I know for this project I'm going to need something else.

As for the 22', I think the hardware store down the street rents extension ladders too, so there's always that option if I do want/need something really long.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

spog posted:

I think my fuel pump is on the way out.

Schraeder valve on the fuel rail, so will one of these work okay?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-Vacuum-Tester-Carburetor-Pressure/dp/B075TYJ4WZ/ref=lp_5136313031_1_9

I can't tell if there's a Schrader valve adapter or not. I see some that would work for fittings, and I can't find anything on the tool elsewhere. Not sure about Amazon in the UK, but in the USA they are pretty lax with their returns.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Has anyone here used/owned a QuickJack? Was it worth it (kind of a buy once cry once thing)?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Good point! The 3500lb would probably work (Honda Fit and a Honda Civic), but the 5000lb isn’t that much more.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Getting one for my pops! Dude uses that stuff everywhere.

Any recommendations on a pliers set? I want a diagonal cutter and a needle nose for sure, but I wouldn’t mind a complete set.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks! KCTool looks like a site I could spend just a bit of money at, and I found some FatMax pliers on Acme.

Anybody got one of those Wera Tool Checks? I’d love a metric set, but I’m missing standards mostly.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I don’t know if every size is good, but the HF U.S. General 44” chests have a cult following, and they’ve got some cool expansion options if your collection keeps growing.

As an aside, I bought a 26” Clarke years ago, but often wish I had paid up for a 44”.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

No joke! Seriously considering selling my Mid Torque M18 and going all M12. I’m no pro, and the torque of the M18 comes with some considerable weight and bulk.

We’ll see.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't go exclusively M12, but it can do a lot more than you expect. On the 1/4 hex impact driver, the M18 is overkill - it can already destroy bit inserts with ease. On the other hand, as much as I love my 3/8 M12 Fuel impact, ~80-90ftlb lug nuts are the tightest thing it can loosen. The M18 mid torque? Bap and done.

Yeah, looking at used prices, I’d be taking a bath. So I’ll probably just deal and make the most of the power I’ve got. An M12 1/2” drill on the other hand...

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m getting on the nicer tool train myself. I agree they’re not always necessary, but if it makes me happy to use it, then it’s worth it.

But yeah, KC Tool has a good sale going on, so I’m getting an Imperial Wera Tool Check and a Wera 3/8” Metric socket set. I love the way they’re packaged, and this should cover my bases for home and auto work.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any recommendations on an impact bit set? I think I'd like more longer bits so I don't have to fiddle with a bit holder so much, but I'm OK with a mix of both. I did just get a Wera Tool Check, so is it OK to use those bits with an impact driver or should I really just pay up for an impact set?

Also, can you use drill bits with an impact driver? Seems like a bad idea to me, but I swear the manual was suggesting it was OK as long as they had a 1/4" shank.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I was curious more than anything. It just sounded like it could based on the manual (M12 Fuel 1/4”). I do have a drill, so I don’t need to.

Those sets look pretty good!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Jack pucks might be a good thing to try instead of the wheel lifters. You could do both, but I’ve never had trouble jacking cars up on their pinch welds. Pads would be nice though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Need "quality of life" hand tool recommendations for my Amazon wish list. I already have all the basics but need gift ideas to give to family.

Stuff like interior trim tools, nice side cutters/lineman's, stuff like that.

There are a bunch of Knipex pliers on Amazon, and I think most people here would vouch it's hard to go wrong with any of them. A Bucket Boss or some Wera screwdrivers might not be a bad idea either.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MRC48B posted:

The only downside to knipex pliers is they are expensive to replace if you forget them on a jobsite. :negative:

Someone needs to come up with a lost tool warranty.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

My Wera Tool-Check Plus came, look at the size of this ratchet:

Already used it while taking the fairings off of my bike, definitely worth picking up.

Forgot to mention that the plastic wheel at the top is a thumb wheel, it's pretty cool.

I dig mine too. I got an SAE one on Black Friday and I’ve used it for a number of things around the house and at my cleaning gig.

I think they really are a neat tool. I get a bunch of bits, a nice set of sockets, and fairly useful drivers for them in a neat little kit. It's easy enough to throw in my backpack for work, grab from the backpack or wherever to fix the random thing around the house, or have with me anywhere really.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 7, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Got to say I’m a rail guy too. I can’t remember the sizes for everything, so I’d rather have them all right by. Working on a kit for my roll up bag just for this purpose.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Those color-coded keys make me all kinds of weak in the knees, but check these out...

Metric - https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-022086-9-piece-hex-ball-end-hex-metric-l-key-clip-set/ - $13.65
SAE - https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-022171-9-piece-hex-ball-end-hex-sae-l-key-clip-set/ - $13.65

With shipping and all they'd cost more, but they're definitely the keys I want to try out.

Any recommendations on a tape measure?

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 3, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Here's a link for them on Tekton's website: https://www.tekton.com/long-arm-ball-end-hex-key-wrench-set-25282

It is definitely worth setting up an account there. They're imported, but I've been happy with the Tekton tools I've gotten so far (wrenches and a micrometer torque wrench so far).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I think that Kobalt is just a California Air Tool rebadge or knockoff. There have been some screaming deals on those on Amazon. I have one of their aluminum twin stacks and it's crazy quiet. Unless they've changed suppliers, they're really good.

Those look really tempting. Would a twin, or even a single, be sufficient for topping off tires and running a nail gun (weekend warrior style)?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool! Would be nice to not have to do the tire checkups in gas station parking lots. I figure if I go small now I can go big if/when I need it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any recommendations on work boots? I'm going to have a pretty stiff ankle from now on due to surgery and they've recommended getting some boots for work (around the house, in the garage, and some on the job too). I figure this is a good chance to get something that'll be good to do some work in and last, but I don't really have a clue, so I'm open to any recommendations. I don't have to have a steel toe, but something sturdy would be good.

I'm near a couple Red Wing stores, so I think I'll stop in and try on a couple, though those would definitely have to be worth the premium.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks everybody! Looks like I’ll be out looking for something this weekend. If I travel a bit I should be able to try on Keens and Danners as well as the Red Wings. Pretty exciting, I’ve always gone the cheap boot route, so I think I’m ready to try something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I suppose I didn't consider that.

In other news, I went to Germany today.

And I did not leave empty-handed.

Edit: and I appreciate that buying expensive German Czech implements makes me a Tool Rebel instead of just a tool.

Come for the chocolate stay for the tools. Now where’s the Knipex section?