Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Michael Bolton posted:

For an early birthday present from my parents I got a used 30 gallon 5hp 150psi Craftsman air compressor. It was $165 with a bad mother fucker 25 foot hose.

After I got it I went to visit my cousin's husband who runs a pawn shop and got a Snap-On IM6100 half inch drive impact gun for $50 to use with the new compressor.

Then my friend sold me Mac 1/4 inch drive and 3/8 inch drive air ratchets $50 for the pair.

I am STOKED and can't wait to tear some stubborn bolts apart with the POWER OF IMPACT RAAWR!!! Rear shocks on my dad's 1992 Accord are probably going to be the first project since I did the front shocks, brake pads and rotors, drive axles, wheel bearings and tie rod ends last weekend. That was a big job and I hope the idiot at Honda who decided on the hub-over-rotor design has been punished. At least I didn't break any tools getting the job done like Blaise did.

I tried doing some work on a friends car here at school. Coming from my parents house with an EXTREMELY well stocked garage (my dad has been collecting tools since he was 16, and my brother isn't no slouch either), trying to work on my friends car with no impact was quite literally HELL.

You will love the impact. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

We've had the same huge loving heavy duty jack in the garage forever. I should really;
1. Figure out what the gently caress it is.
2. Buy a lighter jack for when I'm doing little jobs, because gently caress is that thing heavy.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Anyone want to recommend me a wideband air/fuel ratio monitor?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Portability is key, as it'll float between vehicles. After posting that I started wandering around and I'm considering the Innovate LM-1 basic kit. It's on ebay for 299 shipped.

EDIT:
The next morning, I realize that there was another page after what I'd previously read! :downs: Thanks guys.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 5, 2008

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Cool, I just bout an 80lb and a 100lb.

Bastards don't make a 90 :argh:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What the hell was that?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Why lead, and not steel?

It's so confusing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I was thinking it was the same as a deadblow hammer, but I figured it might have some special purpose.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Beerios posted:

Let's not forget the Craftsman Giant loving Screwdriver:

Handy for drat near any job (other than driving slotted screws), and when it breaks from being used as a prybar for the hundredth time, just take it to Sears and get a new one for free.

I wish I was at home, I need to take pictures of all our old cool tools. We have 2 or 3 of the big loving craftsman screw drivers, along with a really old MAC (I think.) screwdriver with a wood handle and a big loving hammer plate on the top. It's been through more hell that I dare contemplate.

We also have a Van Dorn drill that's a good 38 years old. It's truly frightening. It only turns about 600-1200 RPMs, but it has so much loving torque, that if you get a bit stuck in metal, and you're putting all your weight onto the drill, it WILL turn your whole body, and the RPMs will NOT drop. It's a loving god like tool. I love it so much.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Cenuji posted:

Snapon.com, of course.

Yep. I ordered two torque sticks just a little while ago. Supposedly, they've already arrived at home.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

psychoEE posted:

For car work, radioshack has a GREAT butane-powered iron. It's like 20 bucks, and it's really convenient.

If you want to do temperature controlled electronics/SMD work, I really like the Xytronic-brand stuff that webtronics.com sells. About half the price of Weller stuff, and just as good. The 136ESD station is as good as anything I've used (including $400 metcal stations), and it's like 60 bucks.

Oh yeah, and don't get the orange Weller station. It's not any better than a cheap radioshack iron plugged into a light dimmer.

I have the radioshack butane iron as well. It's come in handy many times. The tip is pretty low quality and likes to gum up, but that's easily fixable.

Mine came with a little torch head that's handy, too.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What exactly constitutes "inexpensive?"

http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Mini-Torque_Wrench.htm
That's only $35 which seems like a deal to me.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Wwwwwhooops.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

More like "looks gimmicky as hell." I'd buy the Harbor Freight knockoff for $5, but I don't think it's worth $20.

If you've got a small screw with a stripped head, cut a slot in it with a Dremel and use a regular screwdriver. If it's a big bolt, drill + extractor.

I agree. I have a :psyduck: friend who likes to buy every gimmicky tool he sees on TV. I'm sure he'll have one of these soon. I'll report back. I'll also take pictures of his hilarious collection of broken, useless tools!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Those handicuts are extremely useful for many things, but primarily for hose-cutting.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

A note about the fluorescent lights;
When they burn out, the easiest way to dispose of them is to break them and throw them away, naturally. The best way I've found is to take the solid tubes from your ShopVac, slide it over the top of the light, and put the end of the light that the shop vac pipe won't cover in the garbage. Tap with something metal and then it explodes and lands in the garbage can, no mess.

The "throw it in the garbage can really fast" method works too, but it isn't exactly fool proof. Neither is the "drop it on the ground and just sweep it up" method.

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVV
They go in a different can, and sit in the corner of the garage next to the drums of waste oil and thinner and such. They get disposed of properly. Attempting to fit them in the backseat of the car and hitting a bump; and having them explode all over the inside of the car isn't fun. Don't ask.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 14, 2008

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Blah, I just got a nice slightly used Snap-On compression tester off of eBay for 79 bucks (and it's 200 new!) and within 2 hours of it arriving at my door, I found my old one I was searching for.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

miklm posted:

I'm sort of disappointed with mine too. But, trouser chili is right, and I'm not sure that my little 4hp/13gal compressor is really up to running that impact I have at WOT. I'm double checking things with a torque wrench for now. I'll get a second opinion when I hook it to my brother's huge compressor, which runs his 3/4" impact up to ~400 lbs ft for breaking loose tractor wheel lug nuts.

I'm a pretty big fan of mine. 200gal/8hp compressor straight out of the 60's and a 3/4" impact does it a lot more justice. I still get it the rest of the way there with a torque wrench, but the only reason I got the sticks is they were a (very) last minute birthday present for my older brother and father, who have generally just impacted on lugnuts with some practiced feel and never cared much about exacting torque.

hippynerd posted:

I see your compression tester, and raise you 1 gauge.

:argh:
I still can't believe I found my older one. Hell, it wasn't even that old. It's a Craftsman tester I got about a year ago and never really used much. Now I have to decide if I should keep both, or try and sell one. I got the Snap-On for a song, and I'm sure I could sell it for a profit, but I KNOW that one day I'll take out all the plugs on some new beater, grab the Craftsman kit and then feel woefully inadequate that I have a lower quality compression tester.

I guess I'll just keep the snapon.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 9, 2008

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Anyone want to recommend me a good but relatively cheap torque wrench? Some rear end in a top hat broke ours* and it's well past the 1 year warranty.

*Sure you can borrow this, what do you need to torque?
Oh, valve covers. You brought your car over to just do it right now and now there's oil all over your engine because you drove it a mile with a loosely installed valve cover. Oh well. Hey wait do you know how to use a torque HOLY gently caress WHAT ARE YOU DOING STOP

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

BigKOfJustice posted:

If you're looking for new heres a good Proto model, MSC carries most of Protos torque wrenches along with other brands so if thats not in your range there should be something there that fits your needs:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000051982626

You should be able to find a used one for about half that. I always keep an eye out for used Proto stuff, besides the life time warranty, Defense and Aerospace companies use that stuff since it's tested and certified to exceed standards set by the Automotive and defense industries. IMO, Proto exceeds Snap On in quality, and isn't as recognizable as a big name [ie. Snap On] unless you work on oil rigs and other heavy industrial fields where you'll see Proto Tools pop up.

This reason why I mention that, is that I find used snapon gear go for more then used proto gear, so you can pick up a quality tool without the higher price.

drat, I'd honestly never heard of Proto before. Hopped on ebay and I'm bidding on a #6014, and I'm going to keep looking and waiting for a deal on a beam/dial fancy Snap-On or Proto to pop up.

Thanks guys.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

whiskas posted:

So with an impact wrench, if it's rated to 230ft/lbs does it immediately torque the bolt to 230ft/lbs on the first hit, or how long would I have to hold the trigger down to torque it to the capacity of the impact wrench?

You don't want to think in these terms. Think of the impact as a great way to take off stubborn bolts, and throw on big bolts like lugs. Don't trust it in any "3 seconds = 121ft/lbs" kind of terms.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I just got a Ingersoll Rand 2135TI impact from Sears. It was red tagged and I got it for $160. It'll compliment my older beat to poo poo IR impact quite nicely.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Kynetx posted:

They're really handy for a few applications like removing transmission pans and valve covers where there is a lot of low-torque repetition, but that's about it.

I use ours from time to time. It actually came in really handy screwing 40 or so lag bolts into wood while building a hay trailer.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

The "new school" way of plumbing garage air lines is nylon lines push-lock connectors.

Eastwood sells a ridiculous priced kit for like $200 but gently caress all that. Most industrial parts houses can get you just the pieces you need for much less. All you need to install is a cutter and a cordless screwdriver to mount the hardware to the walls wherever you will need it.

Did that poo poo actually get cheaper? We plumbed our compressor through 3 outlets in the garage and two down to the basement all in copper a few years ago. Last I saw that poo poo was still loving astonishingly expensive.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

multiprotocol posted:

Craftsman shop vacs? I need a new smallish shop vac, and the 4 gallon one looks like it's pretty decent. Thoughts or alternative recommendations?

Their electric poo poo is pretty solid. I'd trust a shop vac. We've got two. One is from the early 80's and has been beaten to hell and back and still runs perfectly, and the other is about 2 years old, and while it has a lot of irritating poo poo on it (hose carrier, pipe and attachment carrier, pop-off leaf blower) that the older one doesn't have or need, it still does its job well.

I'm starting to avoid craftsman for ratchets and such, and I'm replacing them with better things. Their wrenches are still solid as hell, as are their screwdrivers.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Bling bling

Why is this so cheap?

It looks like it's the same as the other quality HF jack;
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

A ring of LED's actually seem pretty useful, especially in your usual unlit garage, the kind of garage that someone who only wants to spend $100 on a jack has.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

You can't make bullets out of a plastic hammer in a war torn post-apocalyptic America :colbert:

I've been trying to convince myself I need a lead hammer for a while now, but still haven't found a need for one. Maybe I should convince myself I need a car with knock-off wheels first.

For content, does anyone have a suggestion for a decent semi-hard tool bag? My mobile tool collection is growing entirely too rapidly and I need a good way to carry them around. I probably need a bag about 20"x12". It's mostly for electronics and small stuff. Lots of allen keys, screwdrivers, small pliers and electronics stuff.

Also, if you haven't watched this video, you should. It's a shining example of a man who adores his tools, plus, mythbusters rocks.
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-raw-jamies-toolkit.html (5 parts)

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 1, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

InitialDave posted:

If anyone needs tools for working on bikes (the kind you pedal), I'd definitely recommend Park stuff. Not the cheapest, but they're really good quality.

I've got a bunch of Park stuff leftover from my rebuilding and breaking bikes phase. I think I snapped somewhere in the range of 5 or 6 Dyno Nitro frames due to hard landings. The mid to late 90's was a great time. :v:
That backpack is absolutely awesome, but whenever I go somewhere to work on something, I have a backpack full of a laptop and such things.

Awesome. I just ordered that first one you linked. It'll be interesting to see how good these are for the price (which is an amazing price, I might add).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I didn't even know you could still buy welding goggles. I thought that poo poo died out in the 70's in favor of helmets?

Stick welding is still a worthwhile skill to learn. Granted, it won't be used much, particularly on a car, but it's useful for many a thing. Like pipe welding. That poo poo is hard.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

You lucky bastard.

That poo poo never happens to me. I'd be pretty endlessly happy if I found a Fluke in a ditch.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

What can I use to fill a transfer case? Well, fluid, duh, but how do I get it in there? The fill-hole is up high. The bottles don't have the barbed end on them you can put a hose on, some kind of adapter or pump I can get at HF, oreilly, autozone, walmart?

HF will almost certainly have what you're looking for. You need something like this;

http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=552135&click=2744

Hardware stores will probably carry them. I believe they're generally just called fluid pumps or transfer pumps.

e:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=8035&BASE
That's another type you'll probably see.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Kynetx posted:

As far as I'm concerned, those are all important things to have. Now go get yourself a 2.5 or 5-gallon bucket to store the tie-downs in. I also use them to store the mountains of scissor-clamps I have laying around.

I think we have about 6 of the Homer buckets from home depot from when they were $1.50.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I'd suggest a model#:45175. Its a round-head, 72-tooth, and strong as hell. I've beaten mine with a 5# sledge before, and when I disassembled it recently, it was 100% fine.

Hey! That's what sits in my tool box in whatever car I'm driving. I love that ratchet.

Just yesterday I went to a yard sale (and it's 30 degrees, I have no idea why he decided to have a yard sale) and got just under 200 sockets in various sizes for $20.
Mostly craftsman, mostly in decent shape. There are a couple SnapOn, MAC and SK as well. I'm going to go to sears and replace the really whooped sockets.
I was loving ecstatic to get such an awesome deal. Most of them are 3/8, but there's at least one full set's worth of 1/4 SAE and 1/2 metric.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Goddamn, I came here to post that.

I just picked them up. I plan on throwing the two sets in the remaining family cars that don't have any tools at all.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Chauncey posted:

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but anti-seize on threads does gently caress up the reading of a torque wrench. There is a correction table out there, but you need to know the grade of steel or whatever metal they're using because you will overtorque them since anti-seize allows the threads to turn into each other with less friction.

I think that's how it goes.

Also, loctite anti seize in the gray bottle is good stuff. Copper grade is good too.

This is true, but it's not a huge deal. You only need a tiny little bit of antisieze on lugs (or at least that's how I've always done it). You'll get some variance just from spraying Blaster on the lugs to unstick them, or rust, whatever.

e: My family has had the same bottle of grey loctite antisieze for a long time. It's awesome stuff. Absolutely required when fixing tractors and pretty much any farm equipment.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 15, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

RealKyleH posted:

An air belt sander. Really Harbor Freight? What could you ever need this for?

These are a savior for bodywork.
I suppose you could use an electric one, but air tools are far cooler.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

RealKyleH posted:

But its only like an inch wide?

It's handy when you're working in corners and edges and such, both removing paint and working with welds/filler, etc.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Welp, I'm officially done with Craftsman Tools. I'll keep the ones I have but I'm not buying any more. My compression tester apparently has hose that can't handle more than 150psi. Every single time I've used it the hoses have blown at that pressure. I don't like exploding tools.

I've noticed the quality declining pretty rapidly. The majority of mine and my familys tools are Craftsman, but the majority is old really old.
The newer hand tools seem to be still great quality.
The ratchets are becoming junk, but sockets and wrenches still hold their own in the mid-range of quality. The screwdrivers are still awesome as well, but mostly awesome out of convenience (beat the gently caress out of them, get new ones, repeat).

Actually their ratcheting wrenches are still awesome. I spent most of wednesday beating the poo poo out of a new 19mm ratcheting wrench and it was great.

I've abandoned them completely for any other moving/important tools though. Their jacks suck, most of their garden and yard stuff is junk now as well.

Edit: Speaking of cheap ratchets, if you want a cheap ratchet, Ktool has an amazing pushbutton ratchet that is astonishing for the price.

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=K-TOOL&ID=1434915&ref=GB
They're a little hard to find for some reason. We've had the same 3/8in for years and I have no idea where it came from. It's got that wonderful thumb ring for threading on bolts and such that used to be on craftsman ratchets long ago.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 21, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Weissbier posted:

Next items on the list are some hand wrenches and a torque wrench. I figure craftsman for the torque wrench and possibly Harbor Freight for the wrenches. I don't remember anyone commenting about HB wrenches - any thoughts?

Avoid craftsman torque wrenches. I've had two, and they really like to break.

Go for Proto or the like. eBay generally has a ton of Proto torque wrenches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

You're just looking for a battery impact. We've got a Milwaukee that gets carried around, and it's excellent thus far. If you're finishing with a torque wrench, just put everything on lightly and torque it up. Once you get used to a specific impact, you can get a decent (read: not astonishing) feel for how tight things are going on.