Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Survey for you guys- For those like myself who love pick and pull junkyards, what tools do you usually bring with ya? I know half the time I'm kicking myself for not sharpening my knife to cut through hoses, but usually I have a socket set, metric wrenches, a prybar, torx and regular scredrivers, wire cutters, and various other goodies in my bag.

Anyone else want to share their junkyard tool set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Tool Thread, I have a question. I have an engine rebuild to do this summer on my trusty Volvo, and I want to be able to leave my car on jackstands for a month or so. The front of my house has a concrete driveway, but it's New Orleans summer and that means hot and sunny.

My side driveway, however, is dirt paved (with a concrete strip running down the middle) and has plenty of shade and lights to allow me to work on my car whenever I want.

So, I figure the jackstands for the left of the car can sit on the concrete strip, but for the right, should I put big wood / steel plates down so the jackstands don't sink into the dirt? What should I do to keep it stable and safe?

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

ab0z posted:

What kind of oil should I use?

Cutting fluid!

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
I keep seeing fancy new ratcheting box wrenches and all kinds of other newfangled electric-scissor type tools on the market today. Most of my tools are my grandfather's forged 1950s Craftsman ratchets, sockets, and combination wrenches. Is there anything newfangled that you guys feel is absolutely necessary for everyday wrenching? I don't even own an impact gun.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
So I broke an exhaust stud, and therefore I am pulling the head to get it out.

So I need a recommendation for a few brands / sets. I need to buy a set of impact sockets (already broke a few regular ones), a new set of metric sockets, and something to pull out the old stud, buried about 1/4 of an inch in the head. I'm thinking left handed bit and extractor.

Thing is, these are the type of tools where if I buy cheap, I screw myself (round a head bolt, break an extractor in the stud), so I need to spend the cash. Plus who doesn't love new sockets? Recommend me some quality stuff.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Speaking of PB blaster, my new thing is the half acetone half ATF mix. I think it works way better than anything else I've tried- I managed to pull out 8 seized exhaust studs from a 133k mile engine without using heat or vice grips or anything. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Let me piggyback on the caliper recommendation train and ask: what's a good micrometer that isn't going to cost me hundreds of dollars? I need to measure some shims, and I need to take the inside measurement of the dished shim, if I use my calipers I only get the highest edge.