Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
yeah if you grab a Ridgid vac I would get one from home depot. They have for the most part honored the lifetime service agreement on my ridgid drill and my dad is on his third ridgid vac, they always replaced them for him no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Aceshighxxx posted:

I do ball joint at work pretty often and I've never used a pickle fork. For example it is especially bad to use if you're removing a steering knuckle to have a new bearing pressed in. It makes the customer much happier if you can save their old ball joints and tie rod ends and not have to install new ones. This is the method I've always used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc
very rarely would this method work here in the rust belt (wisconsin). Pickle forks, larger hammers, and heat are often required.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Aceshighxxx posted:

It works a lot better than you might think. Sometimes you really have to hit it hard though. Just like the poster above me I don't own a pickle fork and have never used heat. It still amazes me every time I do it how they just come out by hitting with a hammer. And I'm in Michigan so rusty poo poo boxes are about all I work on.
It does work, I miss spoke when I said how frequently. I still think that a mechanic should have a torch and pickle forks on hand. One lower ball joint that I helped with recently took one guy wailing on side with a 3lb sledge while I backed up the opposite side with a 5lb sledge. It refused to let go until after it was heated up quite hot.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

I like 3M's bristle discs for removing gaskets.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...0glGS5QSKMQF1bl

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

the Milwaukee M18 drill/drivers are great, I use two of them every day at work. They are light, comfortable and tough also batteries seem to hold up well.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

i have this for crimping: http://www.service.kleintools.com/T...IN/Product/1005

it is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Sir Cornelius posted:

Seconding this, and also seconding that most people can't crimp for poo poo but a good crimp is just as good as soldering.

I have actually heard that a good crimp might be better than soldering, it is more resistant to failure from vibrations. not sure how true this is though