Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm the "Up to 250 lbs of Nut Busting Torque"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Something Awful Forums> Automotive Insanity > Tools: We just talk about jackin' all day

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

For junkyard trips I would assume a basic set of sockets, a basic set of open end wrenches, screwdrivers, torx and Allen keys, a sawzall and a big hammer. Everything but the last two is for show.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah if you have a battery operated impact wrench or e ven honestly a frill and drier det of course that should be in there.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sitting over here with a right tricep as big as my head, left one is rail thin.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I'd say that in general the same applies for US made goods, or at least ones simple enough not to skate by saying "Made in the USA" when it should be "Assembled in the USA from Chinese parts." Not always HIGH quality, but at least decent quality if they are actually made in the us.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

bolind posted:

I firmly believe that everyone should do a stint in manufacturing, to realize the amount of badge engineering that goes on in every industry. I spent three months in a spring roll factory, turned out they made the brand everyone knew about, some mexican stuff (for a completely different brand) which their machinery was well suited for, plus a bunch of white-label catering products. Probably more I never saw.

TLDR; brand idolization is dumb in the majority of cases.

Oh man. I spent a summer working the wet prep area in a packaged food manufacturing plant when I was in my 20s. They made a couple of name brand things and some other stuff. The things I saw happening there disgusted me and put me off of prepackaged foods for a few years. The main products were soups and let's just say that the Tales from the Bear Cave Soup Company series on the front page was closer to the truth than I want to think about.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Motronic posted:

It's still so jarring to see this advice while sending people to Harbor Freight instead (or to the quality specialty manufacturers of course).

But that's where we are today and I totally agree.

Good advice on "organize, don't buy a big blow molded box of new tools" also.

It's horribly depressing how Sears self destructed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Frank Dillinger posted:

I love locking spring clamps, but every so often, a locked open clamp will trigger on me and slap my soft, delicate fingers and remind on of my hubris. It huuuuurts.

This just sounds like a reminder to never put your fingers where you wouldn’t put your pecker to be honest.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Galler posted:

Buying tools is 50% making some task easier and 50% making sure you never need to do that task in the first place. In either case the money was well spent.

Very true. This is right up there with the 3 steps to make any diy project that you haven’t done before work are:

1) Staring
2) Swearing
3) Blood sacrifice

Without completing all 3 steps your project cannot be completed: if you have been staring at it for hours and swearing at yourself, then it’s time to get your hands in there until you injure yourself. Once you bleed on it everything will go more smoothly.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Blood is good lubricant.

Source: Period sex.

Let he who hasn’t earned his red wings cast the first stone.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I have found that old and or lovely GFCIs definitely trip more often than new, good ones.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

And now we get back to the root of this discussion: does anyone who at all cares enough about safety to install a GFCI, expect that Harbor loving Freight, purveyor of jackstands that don't, is making/selling a "good" GFCI?

I mean, the real question is if the factories HF is sourcing from have any QC process, and I think we all know the answer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

um excuse me posted:

Dual axis elbowed arms are cool, and can certainly be more rigid and handle more weight, but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Saws aren't heavy enough to need them. Their description suggests gimmick more than actual performance gains.

I think the use case is about how much room they take up, not weight. They fit closer to the wall than the sliding arm saws.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Anyone had experience with the knockoff batteries off of eBay for their Milwaukee 18 volt tools? Are they OK or will they brick my tools?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah all the tools for ryobi are super inexpensive, it's just the batteries. I remember back in the day my dad would piss and moan about his cordless tools but so far I haven't had a single complaint about ryobi, and so far Ryobi has been the goon recommendation elsewhere.

I didn't see there was a detailing thread, I'll check it out, thanks.

Nearly all of the newer power tools are pretty decent. Lithium ion batteries have really changed the game. With the latest generation of high output batteries I would even use a cordless saw or sander.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

Everyone I know who has bought a used tank did it down south. Nobody up here wants to get rid of a tank they paid for, or their heirs are dumb and return it when they die.

I see argon/co2 tanks for sale on Craigslist all the time here in the PNW. If you get a smaller one most of those are owned. Where size really matters a lot is an oxy-acetylene rig. I got mine off Craigslist along with the hoses and torch with some tips for like $200. It came out of a storage unit auction and from the looks of it the acetylene tank is rented and the oxy tank is owned. Both have a decent amount of gas in them though and the torch, oxy tank, and gas are probably worth more than I paid even if the acetylene tank is rented, so I’m fine. Acetylene tanks aren’t as expensive anyway because they aren’t made to handle as much pressure.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Motronic posted:

I got my argon tank with the tig welder I bought. It wasn't company owned/tagged. I brought it to my local tradie hardware store that does tank exchange and they were fine with it to go into their tank exchange pool. Their tank exchange tanks aren't tagged either: if you don't have one to put in you pay for one + gas on your first trip. It's then your tank.

Interesting. Generally out here you get your gas from a welding supply shop and if you don’t own a tank they will lease you one for $50-$60/year. Although anything under about 125cf is generally assumed to be an owner tank.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

It's a minor concern if you're doing SF6 whip-its that more SF6 would remain in your lungs after breathing out than a less-dense gas, but I agree, you'll be fine if you take a few deep breaths of normal air.

Post/username combo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

My most used tools are the ones that are here where I need them right now which for automotive usually means the cheap mechanics set that I bought at harbor freight to throw into a vehicle. I tray to have one in every vehicle and I don’t move them around. Craftsman just isn’t what it used to be and now that the warranty isn’t the same either I can’t justify the price.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I don’t have an angle grinder but I just got a monstrous 12.0 AH Milwaukee battery and there is a pawn shop nearby that usually has a decent selection of Milwaukee tools.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Big Taint posted:

True, the correct answer is 15 cordless grinders and 15 batteries.

Coincidentally also the answer to, “What is the meaning of life,” and “How can I live my most fulfilling and productive life?”

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

At what proce should I consider buying 3 and 6 AH batteries? I asked my parents for an HO battery and they gave me the 12 AH, but since I use my fuel sawzall for pruning I reckon it’s worth keeping.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

From a safety standpoint I like the idea that a paddle switch will shut itself off if I drop the grinder.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

The internet has informed me that I'm weird for never having garden hose problems. I have a Suncast (?) reel from Lowe's where I flip a lever and a little water-wheel winds my hose up for me. The thing that tracks back and forth keeps the hose from ending up all on one side, but not well enough to keep it from looking ugly if I cared to open the lid but the theoretical maximum is about double the 100' of hose* I keep on there so it isn't a problem. I've had it for ~6 years and hopefully it doesn't break soon because it doesn't look like they sell it anymore.

To me, I don't care how well built a reel is if it doesn't have the little guide that layers your hose for you so you don't need to guide the hose onto the reel yourself.

Protip: Want to have an easy time with your hose reel? Take the end of you hose (its probably already in your hand) and walk straight out from your reel, then turn around and come back. If you have a lot of hose, or a fence in the way, grab the middle and bring it to the reel too. That probably took 15 seconds and now your hose is in a couple nice lines and you're not dragging more than 25' of hose at a time.

*NeverKink hose, which reviews have told me kinks for everyone but me. I got it over a decade ago because I briefly worked in the garden center and watched it stand up to getting run over by a forklift constantly. I have trouble kinking it on purpose if I want to take the quick-connect off for faster filling of something.

Pls stop with the link shaming.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got a friend that wants nearly 20 foot ceilings so he can have his van or Land Cruiser 80 series up over a 6'6" person's head. I've told him that's dumb but he won't listen so he'll probably end up having to build a massive shop when he buys land which actually might be his ulterior motive there.

Someone in my neighborhood rebuilt their attached garage to make it two stories tall so they could make the garage door tall enough to put their RV in there. It looks loving absurd because it’s attached and the footprint isn’t noticeably bigger than a normal attached garage but it’s just a whole lot taller. I hope it serves his purpose well enough to compensate for that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Hand drill like, a crank?

Yeah, you use it to prep when you are welding with a candle.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

StormDrain posted:

For some reason in our office is a hand crank drill and I have no idea why. That's probably the only reason I made that connection because I can't think of any other drills. I wouldn't think someone would put a wire wheel in a drill press. Or if they did they have the good sense not to ask about it.

Hey no shade dude but it out a hilarious image in my mind. And the first drills I ever used were hand cranks that my dad showed me how to use as a kid.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Apparently Makita and Crescent have their own versions now too. I’m just waiting to see if Project Farm will do an episode on it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Checked bags are fine, they might steal poo poo, but they don't confiscate things other than safety issues (compressed gases, lithium batteries, Mercury or gallium or strong magnets, or flammables). I used to fly with a carry on filled with tools, cables, batteries, monitors, and all sorts of crazy poo poo. I'd keep a laminated packing list and copy of the TSA rules on top. They'd usually argue about poo poo and I'd just escalate it to the shift super. I got to know a few of them at Logan.

So I can get away with a cordless recip saw in my carry on right?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

I'd think they want you to put that in checked luggage, not a carry on. Then again, I don't make a habit of flying with tools.

At least not since I got my network cable crimpers confiscated.

Yea I know but it was kind of a joke.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ryanrs posted:

I've seen conversion errors in my van's Toyota Service Manual, for torque values. Kinda worrisome!

I’d assume I’m this case you switch to felt torque settings. Finger right, snugged up, goodentight, one brap, two braps, three braps, etc.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

As a father of beautiful five-year-old, if someone gifts your children a karaoke microphone and a xylophone, it means they loving HATE YOU. That woman's husband either never buys anything or is far in arrears on his payments.

Yeah that’s the same energy as buying permanent markers for a toddler.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Applying TFR logic, the correct course of action is to acquire a vehicle that uses standard fasteners and fittings. I’m thinking sixties Jeep Wagoneer.

Anyone who doesn’t think this is the most correct option is a stick in the mud :colbert:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Sometimes it takes a bit of embarrassment to kick you into gear. My garage has been a disaster for a while. I mean bad-bad. Last week, forums superstar glyph stopped by and when we were in my garage, I realized how lovely it really was.

That made me devote some time and energy into making order out of the chaos and I'm well on my way. I have room to work and move, which is more than I can say for before.

As I was organizing, I arranged my cordless tools in rainbow order. There's red, orange, yellow, green, and blue. Not for long, though... the sole DeWalt tool I have is a worthless blower that I need to just pitch.

No blue, indigo, or violet?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Can anyone recommend a basic set of PDR rods and tips, plus maybe one of the tools you out the tip on to so you can tap it with a dead blow hammer? I will use it for a handful of minor dents across our crappy vehicles and one slightly more major dent on my own car from when it was my mom’s and she hit something in a parking lot because someone boxed her in. And rather than deal with that she just decided to hit a pole. If you knew her it would make sense.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

For what it's worth, I prefer the kind pictured above where the body is stamped out of two pieces of metal and joined together rather than the kind that are four pieces of angle iron with four flat pieces welded on for bracing.

It's been a while since I watched Hydraulic Press Channel crushing jacks but I think I remember welds breaking not being a huge issue, so it's probably just my unfounded hangup.

I think there were some Harbor Frieght ones that were recalled for bad welds a while back.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

I've been wanting to make a jet drive for my kayak for no good reason and I'm adding broken cordless snowblower to my list of possible donor machines. If the pedals move it a jet assist would get it up on plane.

Just find a totaled jet ski.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I’d just place the vise on a leg post. If the leg post isn’t strong enough for that then reinforce it or replace it with something beefy like a 6x6 or a 4” galvanized pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

There is a hardware store in Portland called Wink’s and they seem to have everything under the sun. Need a proprietary fastener for a used towel bar your dumb rear end bought? They have it. Need to replace a boomer thhat your car manufacturer’s dealer says will take 2 months to come in because it’s not made anymore? They have you. Need a handle for your 1960s kitchen cabinets but just want to replace one or two and have it match the old stuff? They might haven have you there.