Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Is any one else's Matco guy a complete and utter dick for no good reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
You people make me almost ashamed of disowning my local harbor freight. Its literally 2 min away from my house and I rarely go there anymore. This guy at my shop has got a huge box of Snap-on/Matco tools and after using his tools for several months, I threw my all my pits burg poo poo away. Now look at me, 1000 bucks in just on a set of wrenches and 2 socket drivers already but god drat it if 50 bucks a week ain't affordable for perfection.
Using good tools is almost like cheating and I cant go back. These tool guys are gonna be the death of me.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 15, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yea I only buy poo poo after I pay the last thing I bought off. For sure not trying to have like 20 grand of debt.
I see it as an investment into the future. Wrenching is not something I intend to do for the rest of my life, but while im here might as well take advantage. Tools that will last a life time in my opinion are worth it especially when your just talking about basic sockets, wrenches, screw drivers etc... I can picture myself doing an oil change at home years down the road and smiling while using my super smooth fine toothed wrench to break open the drain plug like its butter. However I am super jealous of buddies stupid selection of reckless purchases including a full set of Matco oil filter cups and his Matco wheel weight hammer. On the other side of the spectrum is the old timer farmer who works with us and has a vintage craftsman set of like 10 things he uses to do 100 percent of his jobs with. Its ridiculousness.

Oh and our Snap on dude is raw and throws socks in with every purchase! Snap-on socks dude!

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 15, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

revmoo posted:

I had a battery drain issue with a brand-new battery at 250. How in the world could a car take 800ma parked in sleep?

Key off drain.

Edit: Do what the post above me said. Also check to make sure the battery and terminals are properly secured. If you see corrosion, you can wash it off with coca cola. Lastly check your alternator by running your car and looking at the meter. It should read somewhere around 14 volts.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Anybody have any experience with Blue Point stuff? Considering getting a roll cart this week.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=allll&item_ID=743162&group_ID=681837&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
(Snap-On guy wants to unload it on me for 350)
I know its China and everything and that tool storage is never an investment. But somehow I want to believe its better quality than Craftsman for basically the same price. I also want a cart I can sit on for obvious reasons.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sharkytm posted:

Get the HF cart. Seriously. It is incredibly well built, and sells for $150. You can add a better side table or can storage for a lot less than $200.

Or get the BP, it'll sell for more money if you want to sell.

The US General they have at HF feels like it will fall apart once I drag it over the drain that runs down the middle of the shop. I dont know if the display model is just built like poo poo or if its the actual quality... Either way Im scared to trust it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Do yourself a favor, get a pneumatic hammer.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Bought the Blue Point cart. Not looking back.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
drat, you think for buying all that they coulda threw in a shop radio for you.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Dyscrasia posted:

Any recommendations for an electric impact? plugin is fine. a while back I picked up a largish compressor/tank from harbor freight but its good for 85 psi at best, I do better with a breaker bar. I want something electric for really stuck bolts, or an i stuck with air?

I wasted 25 or 30 bucks on an electric from HF because I was feeling lazy to take my own lugs off. It kind of worked. Took it to work as a joke, gave up using it and loosing a bet after about two tickets. If your gonna spend money on a gun, and you will anyway for a decent electric, you might as well get air.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 10, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Strawberry posted:

Any recommendations for waste fluid storage? When I did all my fluid changes at my parents house I never had to worry about recycling anything. My dad would take all my used oil/atf/diff lube and throw it in his chainsaw as bar and chain oil. I found a 3 gallon jug on Amazon, but I'd like something a little bigger, maybe with a built in funnel. I drive a Dodge Ram so transport is a non issue.

If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd just get a 55 gallon drum :haw:

Something like this?

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...CFc5AMgod42YAbQ

As far as disposal, any decent quick lube will take your used oil.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Dump in on your driveway and collect dead animals! obviously kidding. Once again, quick lubes usually dont give a poo poo to dispose of it for you. Any business is good business. FACT most places loose money doing oil changes but do it just so they can sell you cabin filters and batteries and poo poo.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Again the biggest reason for not dumping antifreeze outdoors is animals are attracted to the sweetness of it, eat it and promptly die.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Oooh just remembered the Matco guy is bringing me these today.

ITS LIKE CHRISTMAS! only for money

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yesterday I did something stupid and awesome.
MG725 - It came with 4 pry bars

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 21, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Splizwarf posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good socket storage solution that can travel (preferably a spring-peg platter or a pegbox rather than strips)?

What kind of sockets and how many of them is kind of important to know but I use this for my impacts.

The middle part is a magnet so they stick to it from both sides. Pretty nifty.
I think they are like 15 - 20 bucks at Sears.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Brain Issues posted:

After dealing with my lovely craftsman ratchets for a year I decided to finally pony up and buy some nice flex-head Snapon ratchets. I wish I hadn't waited so long. They were worth every penny.

1/4" drive flexhead 8.25" long

3/8" drive flexhead 13.7" long

Got the same but I stuck with a hard plastic handle. Love every second I use them. But you have opened up pandoras box my friend....

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
There is a dangerous game brewing in the shop called make someone buy something stupid when the tool guys come. The rules are straight forward. You find something the tool guy has on special that your buddy has been wanting for a while and call him a pathetic little bitch until he buys it.
Today the Matco guy came and I fell victim to these

and a little flash light. Unfazed I countered by demanding my buddy replace his old and worn air ratchet with a new one after all he only wanted was a 12 dollar cover. My grand total tool debt so far is like $1300 while he is sitting with a tad under 2000 so Im winning.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
why can i not walk into a hardware store and tell them to machine me an exact replica of a certain bolt or stud? How hard can it be?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

InitialDave posted:

In answer to your specific question, if you cut a thread, you get lovely weak grainflow, because you're cutting across it, you want to roll the thread so that the grain is displaced to match the form of the thread.

That video is pretty much how we make small, basic fasteners, the big stuff and materials that are harder to work are hot forged for the heads.
The process is something like this:
- Take stock material, part off forging slugs
- Hot forge slugs to the head shape. May take two or three stages for complex or hard to form jobs, in which case you form a bulge on the end of the slug, and then form the head out of the bulge, so you're only moving so much metal at once.
- Machine the basic forged shape of the head to have the correct chamfer on the top (and bottom if required), collar diameter and lightening hole if those are necessary.
- Grind on a centreless grinder to remove the majority of the material down to a little over the intended finished shank diameter, including a cerain amount of removal from the underhead face to clean it up.
- Part off the blank to length, giving an appropriate chamfer on the nose for where the lead threads will be.
- Stamp the part numbers on the top of the head, if that's where they're going. You want to do it now, so that if anything on the "anvil" you're supporting the part with impacts the underhead face, it's dealt with next.
- Grind the shank down to final size, again with a couple of thou licking off the underhead face. Note that when you grind like this, you specifically control the radius between the shank and the underhead face, so you can:
- Fillet roll the underhead radius. This is a cold-working of the radius between the head and shank, pushing a roller into it to compress material and give a hard, smooth, consistent finish, which improves strength and particularly fatigue life.
- If the thread blank is a different diameter to the shank, grind that area down to size too.
- Roll the thread. Flat dies as shown in that video work well, but for less cooperative material, it's two rollers with big meaty hydraulic rams behind them. Might even need some heat, too.

And then there's a ton of other stuff you're going to have in there at different places - heat treatments, deburring and blasting, machining or grinding of waists and other features, drilling for lockwire, straightening operations, degreasing, coating or plating, inspecting, testing, certification and so on. Sometimes a bolt is just a bolt and it doesn't matter at all, other times it's the cocktail stick through the middle of a jet turbine sandwich, and having it let go will give you a really bad day.

90% of what you'll encounter for automotive use is basically cheap poo poo, though things like engine internals are generally going to be held together with something half-decent. Really, though, the aerospace stuff I deal with isn't so much stronger than the fasteners you can buy off the shelf, it's more that it's durable and tolerant of high temperatures, more precise in its fit and finish, and above all certified. We're making bolts, we're selling paperwork and traceability. Engine lets go in a Mustang because a stud failed, ah well, you got a bad one. Tie rod lets go on an airliner, you can find out the name of the guy who marked the part number on it.

You want a specific bolt or stud made for something like a car? Sure, not a problem. Hope you got deep pockets, though. We once made some stuff for a guy with a turbine-powered pulling tractor.

:stare: I had no idea. Nothings ever simple.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Guy at my shop just got a Matco 6 series box. Im in rage at how amazing it is.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ctishman posted:

All right. I've taken another look at it with that in mind, and I think I've sorted it out a little more, logically.

They probably don't care what size drive it is, because they assume you'll bring your own driver, right? Thus the 1/4" refers to the socket size. So I can parse the list as follows:

• (12 point)
  • 3/16, , 5/16, ⅜, 7/16, , 9/16 (Standard, assume six point))
  • 11/32 (unknown points)

Sound reasonable?

Edit: That's not everything on the list, of course. Here's the full minimal toolset they want me to have on Orientation day.

LED Light AAA Cell Flashlight
Hammer 12 Oz Ball Peen
Hammer Dead Blow or Non-Marring
Inspection Mirrir Telescope 2 diameter
Minivac
Tool Carrier
Pliers Channel Lock
Pliers Diagonal Cutting
Pliers Duck Bill
Pliers Needle Nose
Pliers Standard
Punch Set (⅛, 5/32, 3/16, )
Ratchet set and extensions
Ratchet set and extensions ⅜
Scale 6 (Measured in 1/100)
Scissors
Screwdriver Magnetic
Screwdriver Common set (4, 6, 8)
Screwdriver Set Offset
Screwdriver Set Stubby
Socket set
(12 point) 3/16,
, 5/16, ⅜, 7/16, , 9/16 (Standard)
11/32
Socket set ⅜ (12-point) up to 13/16
Tape Measure 12
Utility Knife (Ergonomic)
Vise Grips (6, 8)
Wrench Set Ignition
Wrench Set Combination

Honestly if your trying to stay in the industry and be taken seriously go for the good poo poo. A lot of snap on/matco/mac poo poo can be found for cheaper if you do a little research and realize that you can get the exact same tool for a lot less cause its missing the label. Knipex pliers are a great example. That said poo poo like wrenches, screw drivers (particularly impact bits, and Torx bits are way better quality than anything else if you just buy the best right away. Its not just better metal, but the tools are designed to fit more snugly and into more places so there is a lot of thought being put into a nice tool. Also if the tool guy comes around your shot he will fix and replace anything broken right on the spot. The service you get with nice poo poo is almost worth it on its own. Find a tool guy in your area, you can pay weekly or by weakly a small amount (for a long time) but its no interest and you get quality poo poo. Ive only put about 2000 bucks into stuff including my tool cart and ive been doing it for a year professionally. Good tools help you do the job faster and right the first time and in an industry where the more poo poo you do, the more money you make, you wanna be doing stuff fast and not dealing with stripped bolts and broken knuckles. Also its super retarded to be asking people to borrow their nice poo poo cause you cant make your harbor freight bullshit work.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 12, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
yea unless you buy a stupid amount of stuff they literally will charge you like 25 bucks a week. And unless you have a complete dick of a rep, you can always skip a payment if your running low. I have it set up that he just withdraws it automatically from me on pay day however if I know im gonna need to pay like a light bill or something, he will be cool with me catching him the next time around.

Also, you might wanna try your luck at swap meets, If you can find some good poo poo, the warranty will stay with the tool and even if you buy a broken ratchet or something they will fix it or replace it for you without asking for any sort of receipt or anything.

Dont get dwindled into buying a 20 thousand dollar box tho, because thats just obnoxious.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Snap On Pizza Cutter and Ice Cream spoon!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kmcormick9 posted:

Can anybody recommend a good electric screwdriver?

If you want to dish out some monies, you cant get better than the Snap On 7.2V
For something so small, it packs a great punch.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=647099&group_ID=682669&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
More importantly it keeps you noticing if anythings missing. Buying the same nice tool again is lame.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mooseykins posted:

The box isn't all that small, it's just that there's so much stuff crammed into it. I need a bigger box but can't afford it.

I'm actually quite fond of socket rails, they're simple and ultilitarian. (much like myself..) I just need to get them mounted properly and rearrange a few things to get it how it want.

LOL isnt all that small...

Nice digs

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mooseykins posted:

Shallow 27mm:

Deep 17mm, my most-used impact socket:

Lug studs all day huh? How awful.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
gently caress that, 100 pound torque stick works just fine.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yea sorry I thought it was obvious I was talking about an air gun.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Powered greese guns are the only way to go.

In other news and late to the party, but just got a Powerprobe. Love it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wasabi the J posted:

I have a '93 Explorer XLT, gross weight of 5040 lbs, and the frame is about ten inches off the ground. I would think that half of the weight would be too close to the 1.5 ton limit of the lower end jacks, and the 14-5/8 in. max height is too small of a lift. Am I doing this wrong?

Lift the back by the Diff. Should save a few inches. Then jack stand the frame.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Frank Dillinger posted:

My Canadian tire torque wrench is locking up (the ratchet jams) but still works, and I broke the 24mm gear wrench the second time i used it. No real abuse, either.

Where's a good place to buy cheaper tools in Canada? Basically it's princess auto or crappy tire for me. Snap-on is too expensive for me, a lot of it doesn't seem worth the cost. How is sears these days?

Sears is hit or miss. I have Craftsman impact sockets and they hold up really well however they have very thick walls. This is when stuff like Snap On makes sense to spend money on if your wrenching professionally. Ive had to borrow coworkers sockets at times because mine would simply not fit where the bolt was. I get a lot of stuff from snap on but I use it and abuse it every day and just make weekly payments of 25 bucks to work with the best tools so its worth it assuming I stay in the trade long enough to pay off my debt. (only about $2500 right now) If you do shop sears, go for the gearwrench stuff they have there, its not terrible and the warranty is pretty good. A more quality and reasonably priced alternative to Snap On could be Cornwell or Mac. Honestly tho check your local craigslist and pawn shops and even ebay. Great way to get quality stuff at discout.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Where is there a scrap yard where the cars are neatly stacked on blocks!?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Ziploc posted:

I haven't kept up with this thread.

What's a good helper tool for brake bleeding? I've neglected this job on my vehicles for too long.

It depends if you have an air compressor or not.
Are you trying to bleed or flush?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
What is a good/durable and relatively inexpensive remote hose clamp tool similar to this.

It seems like there are a million of these out there and priced from 30 bucks to 150.
Ive seen ones for 100 that look exactly like ones ive seen for 30.
God drat copy cats everywhere.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

InitialDave posted:

I can tell you that the cheapo one I bought for :20bux: is, frankly, rubbish.

Well I appreciate the one and only input!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Safety Dance posted:

Four drawer tool cart from Harbor Freight. Not bad for $99.

The top section is just slightly too small to hold my socket set in its case. I don't want to commit to taking it out of its case yet.

Excuse the cat toys and cardboard detritus -- I haven't cleaned up after assembling it yet.

Co worker had one It easily stands the deepest of sockets perfectly with room to spare. You will be amazed how much room you save when you stand your sockets. And honestly what person has sockets too precious not to stand in their HF cart?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I got mine in a tractor supply place. Nice thick metal ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Splizwarf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum leak tester (for car work, the smoke machine kind), or steer me away from garbage? :v:

My budget is Kobalt/Husky/Craftsman money, not Snap-On money.

Dude just spray carb cleaner or brake clean over your intake, if the car hicups you found it.