Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Add me as a huge fan of the mityvac. No more bitching from the wife from me telling her to get her rear end in the car and pump the brakes. Also a major plus for clutch cylinders. It is 30 bucks at auto junk zone also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
MSC Industrial Supply has a decent sale today,

Enter code WEB30

30% off $99 bucks or more, they have some good tools. This is off regular price unfortunately, I am getting a tire pressure gauge and some other crap. They had free shipping yesterday, don't know if it still applies or not.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I was excited by that woot, until I read 1/4 drive. Hopefully woot will have more Stanley recession close outs.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/172983.htm

Does anyone have any experience with this brand of air compressors? Eaton?

I want to spray some paint and these look pretty sweet, low rpm and noise. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mine has a bar code that looks like one time use so I ain't posting it for you leeches, now do I want a Chinese welder, or a cherry picker? 20% off baby.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Swivel sockets, will the harbor freights last more then one bolt?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Use a real impact wrench, the kind you hit with a hammer. I think they are 20 bucks, plus you need the hammer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That stand isn't the best, but I would use it for anything but a big block, I doubt your engine weights 700 lbs though. I use one for a small block it is sturdy enough.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you working on that old poo poo, I would buy a better stand with the legs on the outside, and not welded in china and put together with unrated bolts. I assumed you were insane when you said it was 700 pounds. I would use something better. This stand is more for the 300 pound I can pick it up if I have to by hand type of engine.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Those ratchets are just fine, I was beating on one with a 8 pound mini sledge, and it got the bolt loose without dying. For $100 you can't go wrong, it will do alot of what you need, use harbor freight to fill in the rest.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
MSC has sales on proto stuff all the time, if you want new, for not a lot more then fleabay. I went with the 15 buck HF one myself because I am a cheap fucker.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.thepaintpro.com/sandblasting-equipment-information.html

Depends upon what you are blasting. Paint will require less then the smallest blasting gun. You might get away with 15cfm if you work slow. Both of those activites take a ton of air.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The harbor freight jack has a coupon making it 60 bucks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I can only hope they used cheap Chinese prison children website labor to build that just like they do the tools. I don't not want to pay more for my crappy wrenches that are not quite the right size.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...51&keycode=0000

Here is a coupon for the belt wrench $9.99.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
For two, the ability to sell the box on craigslist for $3000 before you default on the payments.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I use a tiny pair of channel locks to filter change my ecotech. Someone should just sell a filter top with a socket hole in it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Harbor freight has a 25% off coupon good on thanksgiving only.

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...52&keycode=0000

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am planning on putting a used wood stove in my garage. Wood is free to me. As long as no one dumps gas on it I should be fine, if not new garage.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

That's what I feared. Anyone have a cheap source of 3½" drive 17mm sockets?

For that price you might consider just buying a new v8 mustang convertible and using it to tow the other car around.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is it really that hard to jack up a car? Moving those giant things around would give me a hernia.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cheap Chinese jacks are not durable. Milwaukee :fsmug: or Norco (Chinese) are usable.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If your engine is numerous enough a junkyard may or may not have them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I see Sharkytm has had the miserable task of removing 1000 staples from a floor. Those are the proper tools.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can probably use an extension cord from your electric stove outlet or electric dryer outlet. That is what I would do. The cords are pretty expensive but are sold at most big box hardware stores. This obviously doesn't work if you plan on using the compressor all the time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You might try stanley blackhawk or proto brands but I don't know if they are cheaper or good.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Alldata has a coupon code Enter Code REPAIR2011 that gets you one year for 10 bucks or 3 years for 23 bucks. I assume this is single car price. Enter it in the gift code box.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
As big as you can afford. I would go 26 foot deep so you have the whole back wall to store junk on without not having room to walk all around your cars. The whole thing is a cost tradeoff. Mine is 40x 24 and wish it was deeper but it is plenty wide. I would build one bay 16 feet high if I was doing it again and have the proper concrete footer put in for a two post lift. I have long cars for some reason.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Shiny sockets are also easier to find when you drop one in the dark and it either rolls down the side of the ditch or into the frame of the car and it is the only one you have that will fit. This usually happens when every store will be closed for the next 3 days and it is the only car you own.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That will be terrible for running air tools. Are you stuck with no 220 outlet? Why don't you craigslist a used one 5 cfm is really low.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Veins McGee posted:

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders...-spool-gun.html

Does anyone have any experience with Eastwood welders? They seem to have a good warranty and 30day moneyback guarantee so they can't be complete junk.

Welding forums are terrible pits filled with miller/lincoln/"dont buy foreign" fanboys.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=41965

It looks like they are contracting directly with the I assume Chinese manufacturer to build a cheap yet usable unit. I don't know anything about welding so above is a link full of propaganda from Eastwood.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit:
Ok so brand new Stihl MS251. I got it started once before but it died after a second or two. Now it's very hard to pull, but pulls easily when the spark plug is removed. The internet tells me that I probably flooded the engine, but I don't know what to do now when it's flooded.

Did you read the starting instructions, you have to squeeze the throttle when you are clicking the ignition button down. It holds the throttle open and will flip up when it starts. Pull a few pulls on full choke then click it up one to run. Work the throttle when it starts so it doesn't stay on WOT. Other then that I don't know what is wrong.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
MSC industrial supply has free shipping today. SHIP99W I don't know if they are good or not.

You have to spend 99 bucks so you will need to add a filler.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 17, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't know where you live, but floor drains in a garage are now a no no where I live. Something about draining your oil right into the drain makes people go bonkers. (Thanks grandpa for ruining it for the rest of us.)

If you have a good conduit then pulling wire for a sub panel should be easy. I had a separate meter installed on mine and it costs me an extra 10 bucks a month to the electric company, but I didn't have to pay $2,000 to run conduit and wire, so in 16 years I get screwed 10 bucks a month.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Walmart has a Stanley tool chest with screw drivers and tools for $79 shipped. It is as craptacular as it sounds but I am tired of having tools laying all over the place, and who can't use more tools!

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Value-of-the-Day/1058864

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Reminds me, I need to figure out where to get whatever parts my new-to-me 6hp 60 gallon CH compressor needs. The electrical side of things is definitely somewhat, ummm, "modified."

I bet ereplacementparts has em, but is there a better place?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/air-compressor-accessories_facet

I think they have everything, I don't know if they are more or less in price.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Isn't it cheaper just to buy a complete new a arm from china then trying to service the original cheap a arm from china? The junk I buy every part of the drat thing is worn out just changing the ball joint does squat.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Running the motors on 110 really cuts their life, but if you don't have two legs available you don't have a choice. I need to find a nice craigslist compressor so I can ruin the paint on my miata.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Jack chat, amazon has prime shipping for one arcan brand jack, so if you have a free month or a subscription that means free shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think they mean the crank to spin the engine but that is usually a bolt and they assume you have a BFW. 65 bucks is way too much though I would expect a hoist and two stands for that price. No one want to store this crap between engine rebuilds.