Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My apologies if this came up halfway through the thread somewhere, but does anyone have a recommendation for a sub $1000 welder? I'm pretty new to welding, but I have free classes on MIG and TIG available to me through the engineering shop at my school. I'd like to get a TIG welder, but it seems like most of budget TIG offerings are no-name foreign brands. I like the precision offered by TIG machines, and I don't really plan on doing a lot of heavy-duty welding. It'll mostly be used for motorcycle frame repair/modification and hopefully a homemade shifter kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The Milwaukee 18V 1/2" brushless impact is good, the Makita equivalent seems to be higher build quality. I got the Milwaukee as a gift from my dad several years ago and I basically put my nice air wrenches away forever except for really stubborn poo poo.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So it's time for a new roller cabinet. Probably gonna spend about a grand. Should I just get the big US general, used craigslist box, or follow the snap-on guy around till something falls off his truck?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Any opinions on gearwrench 120xp non locking flex ratchet vs the 84 or 90 tooth locking ones?

Is the detent on non locking ones good enough? I've only ever used the old floppy snap on ones and hated them.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My only knipex regret is that I should have got like 3 of the 12 inch cobras. One for working on greasy poo poo at home and two for taking to work in a toolbag.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The gearwrench 120xp flex ratchet set I ordered from tool discounter forever ago showed up yesterday.

The double stacked 60 tooth pawls feel very weirdly smooth, and the stiffness of the non locking flex head detents is right on. Not too much to the point that it sucks to mash the head of the ratchet into a dirty hole and adjust it mid swing and not so little that it just flops around.

The 3/8 ratchet is the perfect length, the stubby is a nice bonus, the 1/4 was wonderful for doing glow plugs, and I can't wait to break some poo poo with the 1/2 flex head that's basically a fancy breaker bar.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
All my carpenting stuff is 90% M18. I have loved the full size 1/2" M18 brushless impact for a long time. I tried to like the older M18 3/8" impact but it just didn't quite do it for me.

I recently got the M12 stubby 3/8" impact and the right angle die grinder and holy poo poo do those things rule.

The only thing I don't like about the M12 platform is that the battery form factor doesn't handle drops quite as well.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I've never personally used the knockoffs but I know plenty of people that do every day without issue.

I just buy the OEM ones at home depot when they're on deep sale or wait for a promo on a kit that comes with batteries to flood the ebay resellers with batteries and bare tools.

Right now I'm trying to hold out until I can get tools at cost again but at this point I don't think production is ever going to catch up and that might be gone forever.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
If everything's gonna be in wrench rolls and bags I'd probably do the plumber van setup and screw an akro-mils flat rack (they're called louvered steel wall panels for some reason) to the wall and hang color coded plastic bins from it. The milwaukee packout stuff with some foam inserts is kinda cool but $$$ for red plastic.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Knipex with the dip handles that you can actually wipe down

e: I forgot I was going to ask for ball joint press recommendations for full size truck stuff. Powerbuilt 648617?

Yerok fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 16, 2022

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
That M18 1/4 hex right angle is hilariously weak compared to the current gen normal form factor impact. I end up using it a lot for doing stupid bullshit at work but the noise it makes/time it takes driving a framing screw into a horrible, inaccessible corner is really something.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I have one 12Ah and it only ever goes on the big hammer drill. I bought a bunch of the HO CP3 batteries when they were on sale and have mostly been using those for everything.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Any recommendations for vacuum cooling system refill tools?

I've used the oem tools one in the past and it was fine. I see there's also a horror fright one. The brass airlift is currently on sale on jbtools.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I am also trying to justify buying the M18 inflator, but the M12 has done pretty good for me so far.

Finally got around to buying a couple of those little Maxxeon cyclops lights. Man those things loving rule.

Also trying out the Gearwrench 120xp digital flex torque wrench. Seems pretty good, especially for the price. I like that there's basically no plastic and the 3/8 one is compact enough to swing in the valley of a 7.3. I see there's a newer version of it now that costs three times as much and has a different display.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Man I need to just pull the trigger on that Mastercool set.

Anybody have strong feelings about the M12 extended ratchets? I'm leaning towards the 1/4 over the 3/8 because the head on the 3/8 is loving huge. I did see somebody that took the guts out of the original M12 3/8 ratchet and fit it in the 1/4 head.

e: I'm just gonna give the swap a shot and see how it works. The part number for the old 3/8 anvil assembly is 42-06-1030 and all it needs is about 1/16" shaved off the barrel on the selector side.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 1, 2022

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Looks like there's redesigns of both extended M12 ratchets coming this fall. The head and the neck of the ratchet are one casting, and the 3/8 one looks like it uses the same anvil as the existing 3/8 high speed, so it's significantly slimmer.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Supposedly they come out in November. We'll see how that goes.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I bought the M18 compact bandsaw this morning at a local depot. Asked the Milwaukee rep that's always there if there were any battery promos for it and he gave me a blank look.

I figured I might as well look, and sure as poo poo, the depot website had the same sale price with an included $200 6.0 HO battery. I made a pickup order during lunch and returned the still boxed saw from this morning and left with the same bare tool and a free battery.

I guess I should have learned my lesson from starting to pick up Makita XGT poo poo online, the battery promos are always better on the depot website/acme tool website/whatever.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This is non automotive tool posting but I have a shitload of plumbing to do at my parents' old rear end house, a lot of which is hot water boiler plumbing/replacing old fixture supplies run with corrugated flexy copper in the crawlspace full of sand and broken glass.

In order to bribe myself to do it I finally picked up the M12 pro press tool and the pex expander for the potable stuff. I don't mind soldering but I do mind it when I'm laying on my back in the dark and dragging a tray full of fittings, torch, flux, solder, cutter, emery cloth, etc through 30 feet of broken glass.

I'm gonna have to do their well pump before winter too, and I'll feel a lot better about it with it hooked up to pex a buried in a pvc sleeve than 3/4" copper and the nightmare bullshit of old gate valves and crusty joints right before the pressure tank.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 4, 2023

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

How deep is their well?

Well pumps can be quite heavy and be a long way down the hole.

It's 80 feet of galvanized hanging from a spool pitless adapter. It won't be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that's no joke. You're probably look at over 150 lbs. You're gonna need to find some place that will rent a pump puller.

I've done real dumb stuff with ropes, a pickup and a skid steer, but I don't recommend it.

I'll probably cut and thread a pipe to make a t-bar to pull the spool out with a half ton hand crank genie lift so I can figure out if the adapter will be usable and if it's on 10'/12' galvanized or 21 footers.

If the pitless is junk or I have to lift over 20 feet to get to a coupling to hold the pipe on the top of the casing I'll just pay a well guy to pull it.