Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is a total newbie question and I wasn't sure whether to post it in DIY, A/T, or AI, so I'll give this thread a shot and repost if appropriate.

My mom bought a hardware set about 15 years ago called "DO-IT HERSELF" that was light blue. It had:

-6 precision screwdrivers
-3" standard slotted & phillips head screwdrvers
-Needlenose and regular pliers
-Monkey wrench and that wrench with the sliding pivot point
-25' measuring tape
-Scissors
-Box cutter
-Hammer

For the past decade and a half, it's been the perfect general purpose tool set. I've used literally every piece of the set and the only thing it's missing that I regularly need are allen wrenches, which I now own.

Over the years, pieces have gone missing and most everything is rusting, so I figured I would get a replacement set this Black Friday. Alas, anything from Home Depot or Lowe's comes with 9000 drill bits (which I don't need) or are screwdriver bits + nutdriver, which makes them highly impractical for recessed screws; I want at least 3" on my screwdrivers and 2" on my precision screwdrivers.

That said, is there a better solution than just going to Home Depot and buying all these pieces separately? On a related note, what's the consensus on plastic tool boxes vs fabric tool bags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Skyssx posted:

Go to Sears and make your own tool set out of individual packs. I did this for my Mom last year so she would stop commandeering my Dad's tools and stashing them places. Ended up spending about $120.
Should I focus on getting Craftsmen branded stuff or does that not really matter? $120 is a bit more than I'd like to spend but I imagine I could put together a set of essentials for $50.

What's the consensus on a tool boxes vs. bags?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

You'll probably pay a premium if you buy all Craftsman tools individually--I would look for another cheap tool set. Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? Something like this would be perfect: http://www.harborfreight.com/130-piece-tool-kit-with-case-91507.html
Turns out there's a Harbor Freight about 15 miles away and that set looks perfect! I'll check it out.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 21, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 1, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are combination wrenches that useful anymore? Seems like socket wrenches are better in pretty much every situation.