Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
I'm looking for a good digital torque wrench because I hate clickers. Is Snap-On still a pretty good quality brand for this type of torque wrench?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Skyssx posted:

CDI torque is snap-on's wrench manufacturer for all their clickers. Great but expensive. Snap-On branded dial types are still fantastic... if you like dials.

This isn't strictly automotive, but i've been sold on the necessity of a cordless impact driver. The mechs at work use them, and a friend brought his over for a carpentry/plumbing project we collaborated on. I need one now.

Hitachi has the best warranty by far, and rates near the top in reviews i've read online. Makita and Panasonic both rate higher but have a warranty less than half the duration of Hitachi's. Like SLRs, it seems you buy into a family of tools, instead of buying some tools. You get a few batteries, a charger, and then a buttload of bare tool bodies. So far i've been looking at this set to start me off. This is the Hitachi 18v tool page. Lowe's sells this set which is an 18v "compact pro". Admittedly the compact pro drill and driver are probably all I need, but they're also the only two items that use that battery.

So AI. How good are Hitachi cordless power tools?

I used to work with a guy who loved his Hitachi cordless impact, never saw him have any problems with it. I, personally, prefer Makita just because I fell in love with their 18v Li-ion hammer drills and impact drivers as soon as they came out. The only problem I've had with either tool in 4-5 years is the chuck getting stripped out on the hammer drill.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
What kind of creepers do you guys like? I just started what will be a lengthy project on an e30 and I realized I finally need to get one.

This one seems like a good idea: http://www.amazon.com/Dale-Adams-Enterprises-4031-Bone-ster/dp/B0000DEZNE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1291692921&sr=8-7

Does anyone have any experience with it? Any recommendations?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Dazzleberries posted:

Everything I read about these boxes says they are twice as good as craftsman or HD/lowes boxes for a lot less money. You can get it for 349$ with a coupon (look on garage journal or slick deals). I'm seriously considering getting one this week.

On another note, any 3/8th torque wrench recommendations? I don't need electronic digital read out fancy junk, just something that will be accurate and last. I was looking at a gear wrench one for around 100$ but can't even come up with many other options to compare it to.

drat, maybe I should have spent another $100 and gotten this instead of the Craftsman set I just picked up.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

CatBus posted:

I have the "rough rider" version, and it has its pros and cons.
http://www.amazon.com/Dale-Adams-Enterprises-7031-Mechanics/dp/B00005A1KQ/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Pro:
Often actually successfully rolls over stuff
Pretty solid construction

Con:
Can't fit under anything, ever. Want to fit under a Jeep on max height jack stands? Still scraping your nose.

I would imagine the non-"rough rider" version is lower-profile, so maybe it's a better bet.

I already picked up the one from HF... god I spend way too much money on cheap Chinese poo poo that works. I end up in HF at least 1-2 times weekly.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
I need something for organizing and identifying the numerous nuts/bolts that I will be taking off of this e30 project I've got going. What would be ideal for this purpose?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Where in the poo poo can I find a complete set of 3/8" drive metric sockets (6-24mm or so)? HF doesn't have anything more than 10 pieces, and everywhere else I've looked wants to sell them individually.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Once you get past 19mm you are looking at 1/2 drive sockets. Below 10mm you are going to be using 1/4 drive.

I kind of figured that out in my head yesterday as I was thinking about what I would be doing with 3/8" drive sockets. Thanks for the reminder.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Anyone try out the harbor freight engine support bar? I just need it to support my 1.8l M42 in an e30 while I drop the front subframe. Unfortunately I don't have the room in this loving single car garage for an engine crane or I'd make the investment.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
if anyone ever needs a wire wheel attachment for an angle grinder, I would not recommend the HF stuff... they throw the bristles out at speed and they will stick into you if you have skin exposed :)

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Why would you possibly need to pump to that kind of pressure? I've used the Motiv bleeder with less than 10psi and had substantial flow out of the bleeders.

audi calls for 2bar/30psi on my 2005 a4 :)

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Will this HF electric impact wrench kill me if I use it to take the lugnuts off my tires?
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

I don't have an air compressor, so an inexpensive electric impact wrench would be really nice.

The HF store is near a bunch of pawnshops, so I might cruise those, too, to snag one on the cheap. Good idea / bad idea?

It's been stated numerous times in this thread that anything electric or battery powered sold by HF is pretty terrible. However, I have had good luck with their heat gun. :)

I would spring for a nice one, like a Makita. It's a very good tool to have around.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

DreamOn13 posted:

Any suggestions for a cordless impact? I used a snap on one at a shop once and it was awesome, but I probably don't even want to know how expensive. It was great for lug nuts and such, which would be nice for track days and the like. Any cheaper alternatives?

makita!!!

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Everyone should know that amazon is currently carrying torin products. Their jacks stands are of higher quality than HF stuff and costs slightly lest via amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=torin+jack+stand&x=0&y=0&sprefix=torin+jack

I just ordered two pair of the 6 ton to replace a set of my HF 6 ton. Last time I was working on my Audi one of the ratchets broke(luckily it broke so that I couldn't lower the jack stand instead of collapsing). It was the first time I had used that jack stand.

Also, this is a pretty loving awesome deal for a nice racing jack and two stands: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1533-Aluminum-Racing-Capacity/dp/B002QMV70M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319732859&sr=8-1

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
The main reason I like their jack stands more is because of the locking pin. Extra safety is good.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If I were looking to invest in a system of cordless tools with a decent drill/driver, reciprocating saw, and a legit impact, what should I be looking at?

Milwaukee has their lithium 18v system with an impact that does 450 ft-lbs. Anything out there with similar power that isn't so loving expensive? (Or, do I need that kind of power for normal household / auto uses? I figured if I were going to get an impact it should be able to really apply some torque.)

I vote Makita.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Anyone around here use the QuickJack system or know anyone who does? It looks sketchy as gently caress and I'm pretty sure I saw it in a god drat magazine. http://www.quickjack.com/shop-quickjack-products-all/shop-quickjack-vehicle-jack-systems/bl-5000slx-ac-110-volt.html

Are there any other options similar to this?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Anyone have recommendations for a sub-$250 borescope? I need it to have led lighting on the head and it needs to be able to fit in a spark plug hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Any opinions on the Aircat 800? I'm delving into air tools and my first purchase will be a quiet low torque 1/4" air ratchet for tiny fasteners.