Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

bolind posted:

As the slack crew knows, I've been loving around with 3D printing various holders for various handtools.

Pretty happy with the results and the fact that I'm getting more and more familiar with Fusion 360 as I go along. The cost/benefit ratio is atrocious, but I find organising very therapeutic...

:swoon:

I want these so, so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

I have the 1/2" and 3/8" AC Delco digital torque adapters and I friggin' love them.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

sharkytm posted:

This was my point. Springs don't deform unless they're bright to their yield point, or are cycled to death.

Steel doesn't have limited cycles, though, does it? I thought that as long as it stays within yield limits for a given temperature, steel won't develop fractures or permanently deform. I mean, if it did, wouldn't valve springs in an engine that was sitting for years just lose their strength? Serious question, I'm not a mech eng or materials scientist, just a nerd who does Internet research.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Uthor posted:

I had to do a bunch of research on an over the head lifting device. Steel shouldn't weaken, but there were life cycle specifications to take into account things like wear on the welds and damage and such. Basically, if you don't load it anywhere near the yield strength, the specs said you'd get infinite life. The closer to yield you got, the less long the specs said you should continue to use the device for safety reasons.

That makes perfect sense, thanks. :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Etrips posted:

I'm not exactly sure. This is my first time trying to work on my own car. I don't believe it should be much given it is a 4 door hatchback. Stock weight comes in at around 3,000lbs, so I guess a 2 ton floor jack should be sufficient? Though, I guess I should get a setup in case I need to do anything on my wife's Tundra...

The Harbour Freight aluminum floor jacks are actually really good quality, as are their jack stands. Fwiw.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

It depends on how you plan on using it. If it will never leave your garage, I kind of prefer all steel since the extra weight actually seems to make it easier to push. My all-aluminum and part-aluminum jacks want to try and skate a bit where as the Daytona (heavy as gently caress) will just go right where I push it.

But if you ever want to haul it elsewhere, aluminum is waaaaaay better.

qft

The Al units are called "racing" jacks because you can put them in your trunk without suffering a hernia.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Almost all of my impact sockets are black.

I lost a ratcheting combo wrench in between the sheet metal of the hatch lid of my Z4M while installing the wing. It’s still in there :cry:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Any alternatives to consider before I go buy like 8 of the Home Depot ‘Commercial Electric’ LED shoplights for $40/each?

Right now I’ve only got two 4’ fluorescent fixtures covering 700sqft of garage space, and I’d like it bright enough to wax a car indoors.

Have a look at the Hyperikon LED panels. I’ve got 2 of the 14k5 lumen units installed in my (700sf) garage with two more to install - it’s already like daylight in there so the additional two should be great for detail work.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I have $75 to spend at Amazon, and I'm looking for a 4.5" angle grinder in the sub $100 range. The 11 amp DeWalt comes in at $82 with the power, but that AvE guy likes Makita and those are $80 with a case and a stack of wheels, but only 7.5 amp. I can get the DeWalt with a case for $7 more, or the Makita without a case/wheels for $12 less.

This would most likely be used for cutting random metal things where the sawzall wont suffice, or light tile work/cement board.

Any recommendations?

Will also take suggestions for other things to buy with my gift cards.

I have a pair of the Hitachi units with which I am very happy. They’re well-built and seem tough - no professional use here but have used them ~weekly for over a year without issues.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BMW head bolts and ARP hardware (at least for BMW) is also 12-point.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Going to throw another recommendation here for the AC Delco digital torque adapters. They’re accurate, repeatable, don’t go out of calibration over time, and you can use any ratchet behind them. I’m a big fan.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

always be closing posted:

Right, that was the only thing I'd be worried about, but easy enough to wheel it out and stand it up to drain, if you can resist the temptation of burying it in poo poo lol.

You could always just put a new drain in it at the new low point of the tank. Right?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I have a 15+ year old Hakko station that I’m still extremely happy with. I have my sub-1mm tip for SMT stuff, a couple of intermediate-sized ones for various board-stuffing densities, and the big nasty fucker for thick stuff. I bought all the tips at the same time.

Like others have said, if you solder regularly and / or need good results, the temperature stability and control of a station is well worth it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

0toShifty posted:

The shop I used to work at had a thing that worked on the same concept as this, except it was configured as 3 tall round clear tanks on wheels, with the air fitting on the top. It was supposedly not a corporate-approved tool. With the engine running, you would suck all the coolant out of the car's system till you see the upper/lower hoses collapse, and then allow new coolant from another tank to get sucked right back into the car under the vacuum. No air ever being involved, you don't have to burp anything. A coolant flush paid an hour, and it took less than 10 minutes with that tool.

:master:

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.cpsproducts.com/product-details/550000/

I got to see one of these in action the other day and its magical. Hook it up to compressed air, let it pull a vacuum, then stick a hose into a bottle of coolant and the system bleeds itself. It did in 5 minutes what took me an hour and a screw on no spill funnel.

Thanks for reminding me that these exist. I forgot that I bought one when I started the Z4M project and as it happens now is a nearly perfect time for me to remember I had it! :D

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

kalvick posted:

Do you know.... if you can pull out transmission fluid through the transmission dipstick? My trans pan has no drain port. If I could pull as much fluid as possible before dropping the pan, that would save making a huge mess!

You can. Vacuum / pressure fluid transfer is the best.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Polish posted:

Anyone ever work with laser cutting machines? My company does a lot of Hastealloy-C and Monel and we just acquired a Co2 Trumpf laser. I can't seem to find anything online of people cutting these materials with a laser.. wondering if you guys have any input?

Given its family lineage, don't bother with the specs. When you power it up, it will do nothing and then lie and say the material is already cut. The best cut, in fact, ever, in the world. Everybody says so.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

The Prong Song posted:

What's a good digital torque wrench, available from Amazon in the US? My old spring-click craftsman just isn't cutting it anymore and I'm doing enough regular work that I need something durable and accurate.

Delco digital torque adapters? I have them in 3/8” and 1/2” and love them, they were like $50 each.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

builds character posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a digital torque wrench? 3/8. I know I don't need it, I just want one. I'll use it mostly on motorcycles so really only has to go up to 100nm max if that's an issue.

The AC Delco digital torque adapters are awesome and I love them. I have one in 1/2” and one in 3/8”.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

builds character posted:

Do they work as well as a torque wrench? I feel like I read something about them adding in error to what would otherwise obviously be 100% accurate.

I don’t get how that would be the case. They use strain gauges on the output shaft so they’re measuring torque output to whatever you attach to them, just like a torque wrench would do, with the benefit of being able to place them closer to a socket in an extension / flex stack when you need to use one. They claim +/- 2% clockwise and +/- 3% anti-clockwise accuracy and I’ve stopped double-checking them. :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

builds character posted:

Yeah, that makes sense when I think about it. Are you sure I should base purchases on what makes sense and not on some vague recollection I have from several years ago?

Thanks!

I mean... pretty sure, yeah. :D

No worries!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Powershift posted:

https://i.imgur.com/cqft0B9.mp4

And THAT is when you break out the dick joke.

Also:
press F-12
go to network>media
reload
press play
right click > copy > url
paste into new window
save as MP4
Upload to imgur and enable audio
right click
copy video url
paste in chatbox, won't show in preview
right click > unmute

couldn't be simpler, thanks internet

Right-clicked and selected "Unmute" from context menu. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLtBHDaZ_ig

Cleetus' Black Friday thing is... giving away 10mm sockets with every order.

loving brilliant.