Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
So, before I get at it, are there any secret techniques to helicoil thread inserts? I have a couple of stripped M10x1.25 bolt holes for a sway bar bracket, and the helicoils look (deceptively?) easy if you're patient and don't try to do it from a weird angle. Any advice appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Motronic posted:

The only "secret" to helicoiling is knowing how to properly cut threads. This means your drilling and tapping MUST BE STRAIGHT. Yeah, I don't care how good you think you are.....it's not gonna be straight by hand. If being off a bit is OK for the application, go for it. If not, make a guide so you know you're straight. Wait...you don't have the facilities to make a template? Yeah...not all helicoil jobs are easy....sorry.

For a sway bar bracket, chances are good being off a bit isn't a big deal, so you're probably going to be just fine with a cordless drill and a helicoil kit. Don't think you can do the same thing for head bolts, spark plugs bores, and bolt holes for flanged joints and you'll be fine.

What, you mean that little bubble in the back of the drill isn't accurate? :) Thanks, yeah, this is just for the sway bar brackets, and the threads are in a front member that isn't going to fit on my drill press! First time I do something I just like to make sure that there isn't some incredibly obvious secret to it that turns four hours of tears into one hour of happy. The input is appreciated.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Looking at doing a couple of short custom harnesses for a project and I want to use weatherpack connectors for future-proofing instead of soldering stuff together and hoping I never need to take it out. Do I seriously need a $110 delphi crimper for this stuff?

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
I was planning to do weatherpacks because it's easy to find kits and I'm not gonna have the boat in front of me to plan what to order. Ummmm... so about the crimper...?