Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have had the four drawer black HF tool box and it hasn't done anything horrible yet. Its overloaded with tools and still moves around a shop great. the drawers are smooth. A good way to spend 100$. The multiple level flat black box is poo poo though. Ive seen them break in the store before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

echomadman posted:

Inverter welders are much nicer for stick welding than buzzboxes, much better to learn on in my opinion. I dont have any experience with the Harbor Freight one (we had a nice one in my old job) but the electronics arent that complicated so i cant see a cheap one being too bad, maybe just a worse duty cycle.

So for someone's first stick welder it would be better to get an Inverter Welder? Im getting one soon I just am having a hard time deciding which one. Im really tempted by the HF model because its affordable and if I break it I wont feel as bad. I just need something to learn and do an exhaust or some mild fabrication.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Well now I just need to wait for a good sale. Will 6013 rods be good for all the basics and learning. I'm not going to be doing any structural or life saving welds. Just exhaust maybe some super small fab work.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have never had to flirt with the ladies at my harbor freight...Theres one or two who look like they came from the trailer park in there V6 trans am. But those ladies love my sons when I go with them. They always get me the hook up and walk out with some free stuff. I have so many of those cheap head lamps and screwdriver sets.... But I have a friend that's on there inside track club and he said he gets a good discount plus the coupons. So I am probably going that route. And I will post many pictures of my horrible welds for everyone to laugh and mock.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

echomadman posted:

I assume you know this already, but buy your rods from a reputable welding supplier. The rods from Harbor Freight and their equivalents are poo poo and will break your heart if you're trying to learn with them.

I assumed as much. Where would I be able to find them is there a name brand store I could go to? Maybe google a welding store? Are those even a thing?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I think so. I know where there is one I drive past all the time.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
These guys are close but is this a good deal/brand?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Back to talking about impact wrenches - specifically this one:
DEWALT DC820KA 1/2" (13mm) 18V Cordless XRP Impact Wrench Kit

I've always used hand tools on my jeep, and I'm thinking of getting this one to take with me off roading. Is an impact wrench appropriate for most any fastener? Will I break bolts left and right if I try using this thing on shocks, control arms, skid plate bolts, etc.? Can I use it on everything or would I need to stay away from smaller bolts? I don't see this saying anything about setting torque values, are these usually adjustable or do they always slam away with the full torque?

I have read a lot of good things about the 3/8's version, and then you wouldn't have as much of a worry about breaking certain bolts. and I have also seen them bust wheel lugs loose so it should work for about everything.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
What is a good way to organize wrenches in your toolbox? I have the things for sockets and my ratchets all fit in one drawer. But my wrenches are all over there drawer and I want something smaller to keep them organized. I have used a long twist tie, but they always break with repeated use. Does anyone have an easy way to organize wrenches in there toolbox?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have seen those and they wouldn't fit in my drawer I use. I guess this means its time for a bigger toolbox. Harbor Freight here I come.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

I don't like wrench racks because they never fit anywhere, but wrench rolls fit drat near everywhere.

I had completely forgotten of there existence. I went to school with a guy who carried around wrench sets in one of these. This will definitely fit the small drawer I use and keep it all organized.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

I was using a 1/2" torque wrench on the Jeep's head bolts. I only had a 13mm 12 point socket in 3/8" so I used an adapter from harbor freight. I went through 4 of them on (I think) 12 head bolts. They didn't like going to 110lbs, but I don't think they were impact adapters either, so maybe they weren't built for that.

most adapters don't do well on a torque wrench. Although ive seen adapters from every company ever snap. Its really just better to have spent the money on a single socket from HF.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Can anyone recommend a compressor that can run a 3" cutoff wheel, and a small sander. Im getting rid of the rust on my wifes car and have the tools but my compressor is on its last leg and was never good to begin with.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I organized my socket drawers.

Ratchets, extensions, breaker bars, torque wrench and two boxes I have no place for right now.

Metric!

SAE!

This is after I pulled lots of cheap dupes out to make a kit for the 6, the Miata and a set of house tools since my garage is not very close to my building.

Not Pictured: The poo poo load of impact sockets I picked up a few years ago on clearance.

how does that toolbox move when its loaded down with tools? I need a bigger box for work since my hundred dollar black four drawer harbor freight cart isn't cutting it anymore. And I have come down to this or the 16 drawer double box combo for $320.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I rolled it, fully loaded, across the garage with little issue last Sunday and I'm a huge wuss.

Cool I bought one on lunch today at work and I have it barely loaded with my small amount of tools. They were bursting out of my old box. Now I need more tools to fill the empty. :parrot:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I'm moving into a 700 ft^2 apartment with a wife and two cats. I need to trade my 60" workbench in for something a little smaller. How's this for $99?
http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb...utm_source=1497

I owned one and still do. I used it at a dealership and pepboys. The only reason I have gotten rid of it is I overfilled it.
P.S. look for one of the 99$ coupons. Its defenitley a good box.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Ever get a nice little balloon of sweat in a glove and then you go to wipe your forehead with the back of your hand?

I like when I am wrenching and the stream of sweat pours down my forearm.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
so this

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

That is pretty close, but I think the tool would be much better if the metal went all the way from one end to the other. It looks like you would wreck that one the first time you used a ratchet with it.

that was the first thing that google showed me. I have an older craftsman at work. it is the style like you want. so maybe go to sears or something similar

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I got a free Hobart handler 125 for doing a 4.0 ranger alternator. It wouldn't do anything because a bunch of the connections had worked loose. Now when the wire is fed through and everything else is hooked up right the motor just clicks? Im not to sure how else to describe it. Everything turns on and when I touch the trigger on the gun it just clicks and nothing else.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Do you have the right wheel on the feeder? You can download the manual from Hobart for setup and make sure you're doing it all right. Right tension on the spool, right tension on the feeder mechanism, right feeder spool for the wire size. I have a Hobart 140 and it was a cinch to set up, I can't imagine what would click on it.

The click comes from where the wire would feed at. I will double check about the wheel size. I know the wire is the correct size do to some weak googling

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

That said, I'm considering getting the red tool cart from Harbor Freight. It looks like more than enough space to hold everything I own. Anyone have an opinion about it?
http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-carts/30-in-5-drawer-704-lb-capacity-glossy-red-tool-cart-61427.html

I have the black cart from HF. I have used it at a Pepboys and a dealership. Both of which had lovely beat up floors and the toolbox itself was overloaded. The casters are still in good shape and the drawers are still good. Only one time I tipped it over but that involved multiple open doors and multiple tequila sunrises. I have known plenty of people who get the red or black cart and are very happy. The red cart has another drawer and locks, but other than that the carts are both great.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

2 for $5 at Harbor Freight. In addition to a bright white LED center, they each have their own unique feature as well:

Steel Vitner's ruler sold separately. :v:

where does one aquire one of those bitchin vitners rulers? Also is that an old Lincoln tech toolbox? Sure looks like the one under my toolbox.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

I believe it was once a handout at a trade display of some kind, I found both of them in an old toolbox my dad bought at an estate sale many years ago:

Wait, what year is it again?

The toolbox is just a simple steel "Waterloo" that I've had since sometime in the late 1980's, and I'd imagine it was bought at an Ace Hardware or something similar. The plastic inner tray is long gone but it's still a drat sturdy box that's sure to outlast the larger HF box it's sitting on top of. I have a set assortment of wrenches, ratchets, sockets, and so on split between them. The smaller plastic HF box houses my Dremel tool and its various accessories:

yeah in the different angle of the tool box I can tell its way different. Those rulers are the tits though. Everytime I find something even close to that its way over priced for what it is.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

You're supposed to do an oil change with the engine hot? :ohdear:

Only if you don't like having multiple layers of skin on the top of your hand. Otherwise waiting a few extra minutes for cold oil to drain is totally worth it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I now pull my oil drain plug wearing a Mechanix glove with a nitrile glove over top (its easier to put on than it sounds). The work glove keeps the heat away from my fingertips and the nitrile glove keeps the other glove from getting soaked with oil if I'm not quick enough. I started doing this after dropping the hot plug into an oil pan and having to fish it out bare handed, which was messy and uncomfortable but didn't injure me but I acknowledge that some engines (especially with turbochargers) can produce hotter oil.

My high school auto shop teacher told us, among other reasons, that oil has detergents that keep crud in suspension but are designed to work best at operating temperature. Don't know if thats true but I've never changed cold oil because of it (and the better flow thing).

Yeah I wear nitrle gloves always and do it on a lift with a hot hot car. So I never do it any other way. But changing it cold isn't the most horrible thing to do to a car. Just imagine a 110degree day with a cavalier followed by a Subaru...you learn to not mind the burns...:smithicide: true story before I got into fixing cars professionally I could feel it when someone touched the top of my right hand...not anymore Thanks Subaru...

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I dunno, that long thin filter (Valvoline VO23, dunno what other brands call it) on a ford windstar between the passenger frame rail and catcon is a nice touch. A nice, third degree, sizzling touch.

It has been 12 years and that scar is still visible on my right wrist.

yeah ive done that oil change on my parents winstar a few times and still have a nice burn across my knuckles from the last time....

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

I refuse to believe that Matco sells anything for under $50 :colbert:

my last matco tool cost 18$ it was a GM 3.4 thermostat wrench.....because gently caress doing that poo poo any other way.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

It is but I just hope that all 3.4 and 3.1's will be dead and off the road before too long.....but I know they'll be the herpes of automotive repair

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

PitViper posted:

If there's one thing I'm certain of, it's that the 3.1/3.4 shall live forever. I miss the days that I could make bank fixing LIM gaskets all day long, but I still get them in every once in a while.

Luckily the shop I work at has a bunch of old people with buicks and oldsmobiles. they all are under 90k and most have never had any Intake work done....I love doing a 3800. I think my fastest time was like three hours start to finish...only because I left a gasket in the old intake and didn't notice till the car had a wonky idle.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just picked up a new tool cart from Harbor Fakes today. The 26" four drawer cart they've been selling for $159, but I had a mailer coupon for that model for $99.

The smaller toolbox on top is what I used to have most of my hand tools crammed into (it was too small to hold my torque wrenches and breaker bars and pry bars), now I have lots of room to organize my hand tools, and the bottom shelf even has room for some of my power tools and spray cans and various lubricants and adhesives.

I have had a few other tool boxes from different manufacturers and nothing compares to that little 100$ box. I accidently set a truck down on the one corner and it lifted the truck up and didn't bend under the weight. I still keep it in my garage and beat it on the weekends. Great box.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

SomethingOrAnother posted:

Im looking at getting a mechanics tool set of my own. For what this is, is it a good deal? Any other comparable sets I should look into over this?

I do the usual stuff: Brakes, alternators, waterpumps, etc etc

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-159-piece-Mechanics-Tool-Set.product.100145342.html

Id also recommend checking out the Stanley set in the same range. Also husky makes a decent ratchet and tool set. There one of the few ratchets that can fit into any spot thanks to no button on the back for socket release.

Edit: the Stanley sets are cheap at the home depot.
I have the need for a decent crimper for automotive wiring.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Wire-Crimper-and-Stripper-18102/203709055 this is the style I have been using. Is there a better option or should I just keep with this since it has almost always worked for me.

clam ache fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 21, 2014

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Thread consensus is to get a cheap ratcheting crimper and a pair of strippers like this. But I like this one personally: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=648778&group_ID=742282

So why does everyone recommend that over the one I posted in my link. Also thanks for the snap-on one. The tool guy at my work never has any catalogs for me and I wanna buy more snap on stuff. also my wife gave me a Hundred dollar limit per tool purchase........:getin:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

and those stamped ones flex all over the place and just are a general PITA.

I have bent them many a time. and am now on my third pair and I just thought I was a brute to those things. I had a nice pair with black handles that owned BONES. But alas it was one of the things the fuckheads at my old dealership lost/stole.....oh well I wanted to give the old snap on guy some money so im gonna order those snap on ones because they look sturdy and like they have some leverage.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

I still have three, and the only one I have broken was the 3/8s that rolled off the cart and smacked the floor just right. They still replaced it and the replacement has given me no troubles. v:shobon:v

I had the same problem with a 3/8 torque wrench. but I was desperate and my only nineteen to remove the tires was a 3/8. needless to say it was still replaced under warranty. Most people who complain about breaking there HF torque wrenches probably have broken other decent tools and are genuinely bad with tools. I have had plenty of HF tools that are great. I borrow them to one single person and they break it. Then blame it ON CHINAAAA. when I had used that tool hundreds of times with no breakage.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, clear face shields work if you have to wear glasses, and though I do have presciption safeties, I prefer the face shield because it, well, shields your face.

They do protect most of your face. unless you grow a long beard. then hot metal from a cutting wheel lands in the perfect crook of your beards and starts a face fire....gently caress HF cutoff wheels.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I just wanna throw a +1 on the Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2 impact gun. Just oil the ever loving poo poo out of it the first few uses and go to town.

My breaker bar now is just sitting in the bottom draw.

I've used this thing professionally every day for five years. They are great. I dropped them a few times and everytime it tore chunks from the floor and kept working. And very rarely does it meet a bolt it can't break free. My favorite tool from harbor freight. The 3/8 is good too just haven't had it as long

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The 3/8 air ratchet is a 20 $ air ratchet, noisy as gently caress but it makes it a lot faster to spin bolts you've broken loose with a ratchet first. worth the twenty. mine is beat up and probably needs a new air fitting but it keeps on spinning

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Eh, I'll just get the 3/8 impact then. My composite ratchets are more than comfortable for wrenching.

Its a great little gun. I use it when needed and other times when im loving around. Ive had it take lugs of an f150 plow truck. Ive also had it snap off a rusty head of a bolt so be careful. Ive also had other people use it and be dumbfounded by the power in that little 3/8 impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^ ive got a super awesome matco guy and have been buying more of there stuff. There wrenches are less rusty bolt stripping then snapoff. Matco guys who are cool will also warranty gearwrench stuff. plus the logo screams MERICA cant beat an eagle :911:.