Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Uthor posted:

I have this set of precision screw drivers and I hate it.

I can never get a good grip and use enough torque (why are all the tiny screw I encounter stuck?). I find the handles both too small to hold comfortable and too slick to grip. Does anyone (HF, Sears, or Lowes? I'll be near those tomorrow.) make a decent set with bigger handles?

Not sure how easy these are to find in stores, but I got a set like this a few months ago after getting tired of those cheaper sets breaking and stripping poo poo, and it's great. I've seen sets with handles sort of like these at Menards, so you can probably find something cheaper if you want, but the higher quality bits are worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75991-27-Piece-Phillips-Interchangeable/dp/B000NZ7ITI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1325910696&sr=8-18

I bought these specifically because my set of cheaper screwdrivers stripped the head off the screw on a macbook right before the bit snapped. These bits are much more durable than the average precision set I've seen (and my set has some handles that are ESD protected for working on computers, but I couldn't find those being carried by amazon anymore).

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ryanrs posted:

Calipers that don't scratch delicate surfaces? Do I just buy a cheapo plastic one off Amazon?

Precision isn't critical at all for this project and I know plastic calipers will flex easily, etc. That shouldn't be a problem. I think I want digital because I haven't used real vernier calipers in forever and I will be under some time pressure.

The equipment is mostly anodized aluminum and carbon fiber. They made me get a six-digit insurance policy just to touch it.

What about getting normal calipers and just using something non scratch of a known thickness in between them and what you’re measuring (although neither of those materials sound like something that you couldnt just use calipers on)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I’ve been real happy with my hkmicro flir too, it’s compared well to the Flir e6 we have at work (lower res but higher refresh and I think I prefer the higher refresh rate).