Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What kind of ramps do you guys like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anybody know how often the HF racing jacks go on sale? They have the 1.5 ton on now, but I'd like something with bigger capacity.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Torque wrenches: should I just get whatever's best rated on Amazon (~$50) or go to Harbor Freight?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My birthday's coming up and people want to buy me poo poo but I can't think of anything, so I might as well ask for tools.

I have in my possession a Stanley socket set, some regular Tekton wrenches, jack, jack stands, wheel chocks, oil filter wrench because I had a stuck one once, cheapo Harbor Freight torque wrench, breaker bar, shop light I always forget I have, Home Depot multimeter I never learned to use and misc other stuff I use for electronics and computer repair.

I really want an orbital buffer because I hate polishing/waxing by hand, so recommendations there would be welcome.

Otherwise, what else should I keep handy?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Edit: What is it you drive again? There may be make/model specific tools worth getting.

Saabaru and NA Miata - both Japanese, haven't run into any torx or other weird stuff yet. Have bluetooth ODB II to my phone for the Saabaru, probably won't need ODB for the Miata.

Any impact driver recommendations?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
If you were in a hurry and needed to buy a hand tool (let's say a socket or something) locally, and your only options were Husky (Home Depot), Kobalt (Lowe's), Master Mechanic (True Value), Craftsman (Sears) or whatever is at Harbor Freight, which would you choose?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I need an impact wrench but do most of my work in a borrowed garage so I don't have space for a proper air setup (maybe some day down the road when I finally buy a house).

Should I just get the cheap harbor freight corded one? They have three of them that all put out the same torque, I don't really understand the difference

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=impact+wrench

There's also this cordless Dewalt on Amazon that has good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-Tool-DC820B-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B002VWK5QO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1408225151&sr=8-9&keywords=impact+wrench

blk fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 16, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's everyone's favorite model number of cordless Dremel?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk posted:

What's everyone's favorite model number of cordless Dremel?

Maybe I should rephrase - I'm going to be cutting some struts soon and want to file down the rough edges without slaving over them with an actual file. What should I use?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DocCynical posted:

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LXDG01
This thing is boss for cleaning up strut with a burr. And making holes slightly larger because the piece of poo poo work hole saw wandered 1/8" off.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I actually really like the lithium ion cordless dremel I bought six-seven years ago. Never had a problem with the battery or the unit itself, though it's admittedly only seen light to medium duty work. I see they don't sell that particular model anymore, so I guess it's largely a moot point anyways.

If I were to buy it over again, I'd definitely get the makita die grinder linked earlier since I'm so heavily invested in their ecosystem, and have yet to be disappointed in anything in the cordless line. Heck, most of their cordless is better than my older corded stuff.

Yeah, I'm in Club Makita too - that grinder looks nice but is out of my budget since this is the only time I can see myself using it, unless it has a gentle enough setting for cutting dogs nails like the Dremel. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap corded on Amazon or at HF.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Doing a Koni Cut A Strut install soon; how burly of a pipe/tube cutter do I need? Anything in particular to look for? I'm cutting the OEM Subaru struts on my Saabaru.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Looking at buying a cordless impact wrench to replace my corded harbor freight. How much torque do I want? I don't want to get myself in trouble re-fastening. Choosing between 325 and 740 ft-lbs (Makita).