Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Starting at Tires Plus tomorrow. It's my first full time mechanic gig (I've done a NASCAR internship and worked at a BMW dealership as a service writer).

I've got a rolling Matco toolbox, a set of metric 10-21 Matco wrenches, I have a cheapo Husky socket set, an oil filter wrench, and a 60 dollar off brand pneumatic impact.

I have a good LED flashlight and a full screwdriver set.

I have a cheap set of sockets (metric and standard) for the impact as well.

I'll be doing oil changes, tire rotations, and alignments starting out.

Am I good to go AI, or is there something I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Sockington posted:

You're missing the Snap-On guy's dick in your mouth. :v:

But seriously, what is the scope of your work? Basic tires, brakes, and suspension?

I'm starting out as a "GS" (General Services).

I'll be doing oil changes, tire mounting, rotations and alignments.

As I prove myself and show them I can handle it, they'll give me brake jobs, and basic mechanical stuff down the road.

I want to be a mechanic for a career, so I'm just making sure I've got my bases covered.

I DO NOT wanna be the new guy borrowing tools. I did too much of that poo poo in my internship, and it was horrible.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

THanks guys, I just sold some golf clubs today, so I'm gonna swing by and get a few things I missed.

And eventually I'll suck that Snap On guys cock and sell my soul for some decent tools.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

All good advice. Is Harbor Freight a national chain? We have one right near my house here in Georgia. They're practically GIVING tools away there. It's where I picked up my impact.

I have several safety glasses and a dead blow.

Why exactly would I need diagonal cutters? Obviously it's good to have a tool for any circumstance, but would there be an everyday use for them?

OnlyJuanMon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 16, 2012

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

I just wanted a cheap impact to start out with. For 70 bucks, I also got a 27 month warranty...Soooooooooo...V :shobon: V

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Can you tell me about proper lubricating for baby's first air tool then?

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:stare:

I literally had no idea I had to fill it. Thanks!

Does this mean I need to take the fitting out that I screwed in and then fill it?

I knew they had oil lubricating them, as it sometimes comes out of the exhaust.

Which oil should I be using?

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Ah, okay. For some reason I had it in my head that I would be filling the whole loving gun. But just fill it to the top of the air fitting, attach it to the hose, then add a few drops every day. Thanks!

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Rabble posted:

Ok so I had a $60 part that I wanted to install on the underside of my mustang, this was as good of an excuse as any for a trip to sears for some goddamn overpriced tools.

Socket Set
Low Profile Jack Might need to get a different one that goes up higher, we will see...
Jack Stands

I guess I made out ok for someone who will probably only ever change the oil. I've needed a socket set for a while just for basic home maintenance and the jack/stands weren't that much more. The only problem is that when i jack up one side of the mustang the whole car comes up (front and back wheels), I wasn't comfortable with this so I never made it high enough to put the jack stands in (my part remains uninstalled). Is it ok if the whole side of the car comes up, I know the rear tire will come back down when I jack the other side up.

Get some pep boys plastic ramps for like 40 bucks.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

Brakes are like the easiest job you can do on a car. I would rather change brakes than change oil. Oil changing is so messy.

Everytime I do a brake job, there always seems to be ONE minor hiccup that takes like half an hour to resolve. And it's something different every time.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

So I'm lowering a quick lift today at work, and sort of looking on the other side of the car. I hear my buddy yell: STOP STOP STOP!!

The entire loving lift clipped an open drawer on my box by about an inch, and sent the entire box dumping over drawer side down.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

A Harbor Freight Pipe Wrench is LITERALLY the most useful tool I have. I used to gently caress around doing alignments at work with rusted to poo poo tie rods with wrenches, blow torches, rust penetrant and breaker bars.

All I need now is just to tighten a pipe wrench around any stubborn tie rod and that poo poo doesn't have a CHOICE except to turn.

The best 7 dollars I ever spent.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Right, we have a set of those in the shop. They actually sell just a wrench with an adjustable end on it that does the same thing. The sleeves are only on bigger trucks, and most jeeps.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

I have the HF 90 degree die grinder as well, and the thing works like a champ. BUt I mainly just use it for flat repairs.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

I have come across a need for 12 point bolts exactly once, and that was on some headers on a NASCAR motor.

SOooooooooooooooooooooooo......

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Aceshighxxx posted:

I have this one and it is pretty bad rear end. They were on sale on the truck for $80 though, not sure I'd pay $143.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=646285&group_ID=682403&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

The plain old f80 is really really good too.

Honestly, there is a GearWrench ratchet that is the same length and color as this one, but it has 84 teeth instead of 80, and about 1/4th the cost. Has the flex head too.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

tim0mit posted:

For someone without a proper socket/ratchet set should I get the craftsman go through set or square head 3/8 ths?

Get a metric wrench set with the ratcheting box heads. 10 mm through 24 mm is everything you will need.

Sockets, get a 3/8th set with the same metric sizes.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

tim0mit posted:

Are most post 2k american cars metric?

Trust me. Metric is all you ever need.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Everything at Harbor Freight is "good enough."

Especially when you pay 5 bucks for 8 screwdrivers.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

soap. posted:

I'm looking to buy a creeper for my boyfriend for Christmas. He's 6'4" and 230 lbs so something that's fairly heavy duty would be good. I've just done some cursory googling and I'm sort of at a loss! I don't really know the pros and cons of any of them (plastic? Steel? 4 wheel? 6?
Convertible? Not?). So...any advice? He works almost exclusively on older Toyota trucks and SUVs, if that makes a difference (more clearance?).

Real men dont need creepers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

^ Was literally going to post those.

I have 6 of those bad boys, 2 for 1/4 inch metric and standard, 2 for 3/8ths, and 2 for 1/2 inch.

They are a god send. You can carry the entire thing without any of the sockets falling off, you can easily take them off the magnets, and the BEST part is, the bottom of the trays have a strong magnet strip so you can slap them on the side of your toolbox, or, wait for it....to the VERY CAR YOU ARE WORKING ON.

Plus I have a drawer in my box with all 6 of them lined up neatly. It just looks nice.