Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Brigdh posted:

Looking to get a a new torque wrench, click style. Any recommendations for a quality one? I was looking at Snap-On but they website confuses me for some reason.

Yeah they have a torque wrench for just about everything, should be able to sort through the ones on the website if you have a preference of torque range and drive size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Hahaha, tell me you got a picture of that. You probably had to stand on the roof of the house to use that setup.

At the truck garage i work at we've had to do some equally dodgy things to undo stuff like caliper bolts which have a 27mm head. Put truck over pit, jack up using pit jack, take wheel off. Attach 1/2 inch bar and socket to caliper bolts (not enough clearance for airgun or even a 3/4 bar). Rest the end of the bar on a bottle jack and let the pit jack down. While standing the gently caress back.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Speaking of breeaking things: in a pinch, I had to pick up a Stanley 3/8" to 1/2" adapter at Wal-Mart tonight, for use with a breaker bar.

On the fourth use, sheared the drat thing in half. :argh:

I hate adaptors. I use 1/2 14mm hex socket all the time for caliper sliders with a blue point 3/4 gun. The hex socket never breaks (not even impact) but the 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor does. I keep breakin em' and the snap on man replaces em'.

EDIT: i know i should just buy a drat 3/4 14mm socket.

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 27, 2011

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

"Lord Gaga posted:

Do you mean 3/8?

No i mean 3/4, sometimes inch. i work for volvo trucks i should have mentioned that. We use a lot of acetylene as you can probably imagine.

Edit: hell, the cap that goes over the hub nut is over 400nm. the hub nut itself is north of 1000.

warcake fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 28, 2011

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Sockington posted:

Exactly.

I have my 3/4" drive for rusted rear end poo poo.

I have a 3/4 ratchet just like that, for undoing gearbox filters.

Theres a whole heap of nasty stuff that doesn't come undone including prop shaft flange nuts. i sometimes even have to heat up wheel nuts when the herp derp tyre guy does them up till they're red hot.

EDIT: drat just looked up the torque for the prop flange nut; Specifications: 1200 ± 200 Nm :stare:

warcake fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 29, 2011

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

grover posted:

I remember my first time; went in for a $15 metric ratchet wrench set, and left $300 poorer...

The Snap On van is worse, he comes to your work! And god forbid you say I can't afford that. Because you can pay weekly! Noooooooo. My paycheck!

I have been stood there before with a 1/2 ratchet in my hand, £100 quid lighter, still in the dust of the van driving away with my trousers fully round my ankles.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Just upgraded to a larger toolbox for work, second hand but in really good condition.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Powershift posted:

Why do i get the feeling this cost more than my car.

It is worth more than my car, but that should be the last tool box I buy. Now I've moved everything to that box it looks like I have no tools.

Can't beat a snap on tool box.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I've had to use a 40 inch 3/4 bar to undo filters before, granted they were on a semi truck but if you hand tighten them and lube the seal you should near enough be able to remove them by hand.

And it had 3 of the fuckers.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Things might have gotten out of hand:

Is that the new 3/8 fuel in the box there?

let me know how it is I was thinking of picking one up for work, I've heard it shits on the snap on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

I've noticed a number of portable air compressors on the market which advertise the ability to automatically shut off upon reaching the pressure you want. This sounds like a great thing for keeping one's tires properly inflated. Does anyone know of any such devices that actually work well? Preferably one which can go up to at least 80psi for bicycle tires?

Milwaukee released a cordless tyre inflator that supposedly does 120psi. If their other cordless tools are anything to go by it'll probably be good.