Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good entry-level air compressor? I don't need anything huge, just something some possible air tools, filling tires, and also to use with this: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

I need to do some A/C work on my truck, and didn't see the point of spending one hundred dollars on a single-use tool. Fourteen ninety-nine is pretty good and it got decent reviews. I realize I have to get the gauges, too. I have read mixed reviews on the Craftsman compressor models. What size do you think I should get? Are the Lowe's/Home Depot models any good? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Motronic posted:

As others have said, there is no way you will run that pump with an "entry level" compressor. In fact, that $14.99 POS will need an extra couple hundred dollars worth of air compressor more that what you need for the other things you described that you want to do with it. If it's a one-shot thing, you can likely buy a new pump and sell it for $30 less than you paid for it on CL almost immediately. Especially this time of year.

Maybe instead of entry level, I should have said a compressor that's not a piece of crap and will last a while, but isn't overkill for my needs. No sense spending one thousand dollars on a compressor I will never fully utilize. I will probably avoid the oiless models, so the models that oxbrain recommended are looking about right. Would one of those have enough power for that vacuum pump? If not, I might as well just buy the powered pump. The price of the pump will still be cheaper than the price of labor at a shop, I think. (Bad A/C compressor.)

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Motronic posted:

Barely. You may not be able to pull as much of a vacuum for as long as you'd want to. I've never had much luck with the air operated vacuum pumps on anything less than a shop compressor (think 60 gallon 240v Ingersol Rand 5 HP kind of thing, which pusts you really near $1k).

The electric vacuum pumps are just a much better idea. If you aren't going to be using it more than occasionally, here's a really good one for the price. It's worked for me for a year now, and I've vaced systems 4 or 5 times with it. It pulls to 29 inches in under 10 minutes. The HF one I had barely got to 22", but that was several years ago. I'm sure they are sourced from a different sweat shop by now, so who knows.

Thanks for that link. I probably will just say screw it and buy the motorized vacuum pump along with one of those decent compressors. I'll make good use of the compressor. I'll try to sell the pump, but even if I don't, no big deal. The savings from doing it myself will be worth it.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
I purchased this impact wrench to help with some repairs I'll be doing soon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRM3I/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

I'm new to air tools, and the instructions that came with the wrench aren't very helpful. Googling is somewhat helpful, but I'd trust the people that have experience here more. So here are a couple questions that I had before I start using the thing.

What do I set the compressor's air regulator to? (Can't believe the instructions didn't even have this)

As far as oil, how much does the wrench need before I use it? A few drops?

The instructions say to use an in line air filter, is this really necessary?

How about the power settings? Would setting it to five break bolts or something?

They really need to have better instructions included. Thank you.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Lord Gaga posted:

1- Usually when they give air ratings it'll be x.x CFM at YY psi. In any event 80psi is a good place to start.

2- Yes a few drops.

3- Yes and no. You should have an air dryer in the line. If you're in Florida like me you can have TONs of water in your lines. Our compressor was near a drainage ditch behind the building at the old machine ship and you could straight up freeze your hand in the middle of summer there was so much moisture blowing through it.

4- Probably not break bolts. It is definitely possible to cross thread an aluminum casting on removal, but not that common. Threading stuff back IN however it is downright easy with a good impact. Check out harbor freights torque limiting sticks. Out of the 4 settings on my impact, I only use 1 and 4.

Also consider hearing protection. Ear muffs are cheap, your hearing is not. 99dB regularly can cause hearing problems.

Hey thanks a lot, that really helps.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
I am casually looking at buying scan tool software from AutoEnginuity, specfically with the GM expansion: http://www.autoenginuity.com/index.html

Anybody here use this? I think for the price it is a good deal, although it won't be something you can put in the toolbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

CornHolio posted:

What are you using it for? I have an Innova 3130 that I bought for that reason but I rarely use it since I got Torque. I don't think it can actuate bidirectional controls but other than that it's immensely powerful. And between it and the required dongle I only paid $35. I'm fairly certain either can read GM-specific codes, too.

Well, I may or may not be having an issue with my distributor on my GMC truck. (P1345) I need to be able to view the camshaft retard readings, which the basic code readers won't show. Also in case I need to do a CASE relearn, which most code readers aren't capable either. Having the ability to read ABS codes would also be nice, since the ABS light has been on since I did some front end work (I replaced the speed sensor on the side I was working on, light is still on and I have no idea why). I already have this scanner: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3109-Trilingual-EOBD-Scan/dp/B004CGODSI/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1336944493&sr=1-3 , but its capabilities are limted.