Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

IOwnCalculus posted:

So, I stumbled across the Psiclops today - looks like it's a gauge that you hook up to two tires to balance them, and then fill/bleed both as a pair.

Anyone got one of these? The price is certainly right assuming that the gauge is any more accurate than the $3 Harbor Freight piece of poo poo, and it would make topping off tires a good bit quicker, especially when using a gas station pump.

There is only so much air that a gas station pump will put out--and the single valve stem is not the limiting factor. This looks gimmicky to me, I don't see why this would be more accurate than a HF gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I got one of the ratcheting crimpers from HF and the dies were garbage. I could crimp better with a pair of dikes. I splurged and got the Ancor ones that HF copied and it's a night and day difference. I like HF for a lot of things but their crimpers are not worth it. The Ancor ones were like 60 bucks but so, so worth it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Anyone have the Harbor Freight 12-ton press and like it (or not)? A-frame or H-? I'm Christmas shopping, will it be a bad gift?

I have one. It's OK, typical HF maybe quality. The spacers? collars? I'm not sure what you call them, but the hollow pieces you slip in between the two sides when you bolt it together weren't all exactly the same length, so it tried to rock a bit without any tension on it. There's a lot of space in between the ram and the side beams too, and the springs are short and don't triangulate. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be that loose or not, but it freaked me out a bit. A turnbuckle or ratchet strap (like I used, I'm in Alabama so gently caress it) diagonally will tighten it on up. I've had it for about two years with no issues and have pressed in and out a number of BMW and FoMoCo bushings, as well as the odd piston wrist pin. For the price, it's very good. I'm sure the $750 one you could get from Grainger is better in every respect, but that's $625 more than I paid.

Umm, I have the H-frame, the A-frame looks like it would solve most of my issues. But they didn't have it when I bought mine.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 18, 2012

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

This one. I've had the Craftsman one punch holes in the filter before, this style never has.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63250-Range-Filter-Wrench/dp/B0002SR4PY/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_y

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

That reminds me. Safety glasses - I need some since the ones I had been using dated back to college and are now uselessly hazed over. Any good recommendations out there or should I just fart around Harbor Freight and see what they've got? They need to fit over glasses because my eyes suck.

Get a face shield instead. Much better with and without glasses. HF has a decent one usually.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Ferremit posted:

ive never had an issue using a pair of needle nose vice grips to do drum brake springs?

I use vise grips if there's a lower transverse spring and the lever-type tool on the top springs. Never really had any problems. Brake Spring Tool

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I was an electrician's apprentice once upon a time, so I prefer the Klein bottle opener. http://www.amazon.com/Klein-98002BT-Bottle-Opener/dp/B00093GENU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

peepsalot posted:

That looks nice but how the heck does it open a klein bottle?

You smash it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

That looks just like the workbench my dad has had at the dealership for 30 years. He hasn't managed to break it yet. Probably an inferior Chinese copy, though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Don't people put 4"x4" lumber on their jack pads anymore? (or the equivalent metric measurement)

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Most of the commercial fittings I've worked with are Milton brand.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/tls/4792459549.html

Is there any way to test caps or just replace them if they look lovely?
You can use a multimeter. Check the resistance, scale 10000 ohms or so. It should start with some number then move towards infinity. If it shows an open fault from the beginning or doesn't change, it's bad.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm looking for a wire wheel for my grinder that won't throw wires all over my loving garage. Does such an animal exist?

I've had decent luck with the DeWalt-branded ones. No blood drawn so far, at least.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I put a 16' 6"x6" beam across my garage rafters and punched a hole in the ceiling drywall. Works pretty well with the chain hoist, although I have to roll the target car outside the garage to pull the engine and transmission together. The load leveler is invaluable.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

ultrabay2000 posted:

Some of the TEKTON stuff I've seen I could swear appears identical to things I've seen at Harbor Freight.

Weird. Almost like...noooo!!!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Speaking of wiring, I need to get a ratcheting crimper on a ~$50 budget. The HF one is garbage because it doesn't close tightly enough; I returned the one I had but the replacement is just as bad. I need to do a lot of insulated butts and uninsulated bullets. What's worth getting?

The Ancor one on Amazon works pretty well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NI3EMK/

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got it and tested it on some random wire tonight. Yeah, this Klein stripper is the poo poo.

There is a reason that all the electricians I know use Klein pliers and screwdrivers almost exclusively.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

No telling, all HF manufacturing gets passed around to whichever factory is cheapest. Wear goggles.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

If you're under a car, go ahead and get the full face shield from HF. gently caress eating rust and mud.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Krakkles posted:

Ah, yes, you must have that finely calibrated torque impact gun. Definitely a valid and accurate method.

Jokes aside, it's always a good idea to re-check the torque on new wheels after a few tens of miles. They do sometimes loosen for whatever reason, torqued or not. It seems to affect alloy wheels more often.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Krakkles posted:

I love my Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-3 USB Port. It stays in my 4x4, gets charged when I use it or ~every 6 months, starts everything.

Also, I've had bad experiences with multiple Anker products - batteries failing and such. Maybe they've gotten better.

x2 on the Antigravity. I have the same one and have started everything from a Porsche Cayman to a high-compression big block 390 Ford with it and had zero issues.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

For most things, sure. Nothing beats air for truly stuck things or versatility, but I've had fantastic luck with Hitachi battery impact tools.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Ferremit posted:

ive got a cheap pneumatic grease gun- Thing will shoot a jet of grease across the workshop if you aim it right and the tips empty!

I bet it will!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFKSy9oA0A

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Can someone recommend me quality yet affordable brand and vendor for socket wrench sets? I understand Craftsman is no longer USA made, and I don't want Harbor Freight stuff. On the other end of the spectrum Snap-On, MAC, Matco, is way out of my budget. I don't use these tools for a living but I do appreciate quality tools when I do use them. I used to have alot of Craftsman stuff from the 90's and early 00's, but a good portion of it got stolen a few years back.

I have immediate need for 1/2" drive Metric, I prefer 6 point, want regular and deep.

Bahco stuff is good Swedish/German quality, and is reasonably priced. The ratchets use the same guts as Snap-On ratchets.

SK, Proto, GearWrench are all good American brands.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Raluek posted:

Is GearWrench USA made? I thought they were China.

Hmm. You're probably right.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Water-based personal lubricant works pretty good, and makes your tires smell like strawberries or whatever!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

I know it's damaging but good loving luck getting a low profile on otherwise. Or getting a tire to seat on a poorly refinished rim. Its bad but I've never found a better way to mount low profiles. Also ruglyde is cheap and comes in big bottles and makes tires easy enough to mount by hand.

Your shop needs to invest in one of these. I used one last week to change the 20's on my SRT and it was loving amazing. I've used it before to mount 275/35 R19's and it was trivially easy. I remember using an older machine for low-profile tires and it was torture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX43c-gBamk

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

No use with that but the HF version is nice. But for a lot of tiny fasteners I like my matco 1\4" electric impact.

Yeah, lithium-powered impact drivers poo poo all over air ratchets nowadays. I have a right angle Hitachi that vibrates just right.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Never. That stuff cleans even worse than "eco-safe" paint stripper. gently caress Simple Green. :colbert:

Agreed. And it smells bad.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

so is the 21 gal upright compressor from HF a piece of poo poo? good enough for occasional use? i have a shed just outside of my garage where i can run it and not have to listen to it

Yeah, they're ok.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is this Gearwrench tap and die set a good buy? I've been trawling ebay and craigslist for older USA made sets, but everything I've found so far either looks pretty clapped out, is missing pieces, or is exorbitantly expensive. Am I correct in assuming that I'm better off skipping the HF sets?

I have a gearwrenchtap and die set and haven't had any issues. I haven't used it that much, though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

So how do you sharpen knives easily/cheaply. I feel like the knife sharpening place in my city will be expensive as gently caress and I don't need it to be the best sharpening in the world.

Get an Edge Pro knockoff from Amazon or eBay for $20. It's idiot-proof.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

ionn posted:

I have been thinking about getting a right-angle impact driver thing, to be able to apply battery-powered toolness to those hard-to-reach bolts. I already have drill/screwdriver and impact driver with batteries and charger from Milwaukee (M18 fuel whatever), so those are the ones I'm mainly looking at (also they happen to be slightly on sale here). I'm thinking mostly as a smaller, more nimble complement to the large impact driver (a reasonably beefy 1/2" drive one).

Does anyone here have/use this kind of tool (Milwaukee or otherwise)? If I'm car wrenching, how much of a quality-of-life improvement could I expect over a regular old ratchet socket wrench?

They also come in 1/4" hex (for bits) or 3/8" square socket drive. Spontaneously 3/8" square seems like the way to go, but I don't really know. Would probably mostly use this for hex-head bolts in the 8-14mm range. Thoughts on that?

For reference, the kits are Milwaukee part numbers 2667 and 2668. I'm mostly looking at the "bare tools", which seem to be either 266x-something, or BRAIW-0 / BRAID-0.

I've had a 12v lithium Hitachi right-angle impact driver for a few years and it is fantastic. Mine only has like 20 ft-lbs so it doesn't have the grunt of my air ratchet, but it's much more convenient, and I use it more. It's impossible to over-tighten even 8mm or 10mm bolts with it. I have the hex drive but the adapters for sockets work well. It gets into tight spaces, too.

An 18V version would be really, good. Looks like 60 ft/lbs? I'd get one.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

Is there anything to consider when buying a shop-vac other than price and capacity?

I've got a baby one with like a 1.5" hose, but it's constantly clogging, so I want something serious with a hose I could stick a large child's arm through.

Don't buy it from wal-mart. They're made cheaper, mine has had a bearing squeal since about a day after the 90-day warranty ran out.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Seminal Flu posted:

I just picked up an e-loving-normoust Reed 106 fixed bench vise. The thing is listed at over 130 pounds, and this is every bit of that. It was a bastard to maneuver through the garage to get on the bench.

Needs some sand/paint, but overall, it's a massive, nasty, old monster of a vise. :D

Now I'll give my 4" bench vise to a buddy and everyone's happy.

You spelled 'vise' correctly, that's enough for my approval. I broke the handle off of the lead-screw on a 1980's vintage Craftsman 6" bench vise a few months ago and am super disappointed in the quality. I can't find any real vises local to me.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

That'll be pretty rough. You might be able to do it with the valve removed.
I am using an 80 gallon compressor at up to 150 psi and I have not been able to seat tubeless bicycle tires reliably or at all, really. It's not pushing enough air fast enough through the valve.
I keep CO2 cartridges and inflator around for seating the tires. After that, no problem with inflating.

(A lot depends on the tire and the rim, of course).

You need a bigger fittings. The cheap 1/4" stuff isn't enough. I've seated motorcycle and car tires with my HF 30 gallon compressor, 3/8" fittings and the valve core removed. The oiled compressor, naturally. I hate oilless compressors.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Galler posted:

I've got that same vise! Amazon informs me that I bought it Feb 2016 and I haven't broken it yet. It's been extremely useful and is one of my favorite tools.

I got this in 2012 and haven't broken it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O9X63O

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

clam ache posted:

Just change the oil on a cavalier with the OHV and you will see why channel locks dont always work. Or driving a screwdriver through it. Those ratchet attachements for filters are amazing. hF has a version that sucks. Craftsman makes one of the best and lisle has a similar offering.

IIRC, this is the one that has the oil filter directly above the exhaust flex joint, right? What a stupid decision.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

monsterzero posted:

I need to buy a bigger hammer tomorrow to beat on some infuriating things (suspension components.)
I've been using random cheap claw hammers or a 1lb dead blow but that is proving insufficient. How big should I go, keeping in mind I need to work in confined spaces?

I think it's a 3 lb. mini-sledge from HF (yellow handle) that I use. Works well and is compact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

EightBit posted:

I threw away the harbor freight one. Granted, that's because it was poo poo at actually holding up just a couple hundred pounds (some quick googling shows that nv3550 + np231 dry weight is about 170 pounds). The screw mechanism bound up if it wasn't perfectly centered, which was impossible to do with a transfer case hanging off of the back of the transmission. If you're moving something that is heavier, I would try to find a sturdier jack.

Mine worked well on my Porsche Cayman transaxle, but it was a more compact load than a transmission/transfer case.