Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
As mentioned, see how high you need your jack point. The el-cheapos only go up to 18.5"-19.5". If you need more, the only half decent HF one is not going to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Luminous Cow posted:

The Tribute isn't that big, and it's the car that's important, because it's mine.

It looks like it's not that big of a deal. If a 4x4 gives you extra clearance, and you have decent stands, I wouldn't sweat it. You can get the HF 1.5ton 68053/69252 jack for $59.99 with coupon 19751747 (through 2.23.13).

poo poo, the new one only goes 15". Mine goes to 19". Nevermind. :shrug:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 5, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Does anyone know of some good crimpers for large gauge wires (down to 1awg)?

Check your local area for "tool supply rentals"

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

slidebite posted:

Other ideas? It's a $200 sensor so I'd rather not buy a new one (the screw is top of frame).

What about just stacking washers?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

I bought a HF float charger yesterday and the instructions are different than what I remember. I take the battery cables off before I hook it up right?

daslog you funny.

I've never had a problem leaving things attached. Just attach to battery then plug it in. I'm currently using 4 of them.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

That's sure to be awesome in the corner next to the kitchen table wedged against the Formica cabinets.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

mod sassinator posted:

Throw waste cooking oil in there too. :haw:

"NO BIODIESEL WASTE FROM UNPURE COOKING OIL!"

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

revmoo posted:

On this same subject, how do you get rid of large amounts of old oil? I have around 10 gallons of mixed oil that keeps piling up and I don't know how to dispose of it. Doesn't Autozone limit you to a certain amount?

They all do, but I got My local W**M*** to take 15 gallons once because I was there right after pickup, we talked shop for a few minutes beforehand, and I wasn't a huge dick to them despite them trying to upsell me on bullshit when I was getting a balance - including the infamous 'need new tires' scam when they had over 7/32nds and weren't cupping in the slights.. just a couple semi-bent rims.

Worst case, you find where multiple oil-accept stations are in a close proximity, and make the rounds. Then, don't let it stack up.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

daslog posted:

Am I the only guy that puts all his old chemicals in the parts car before the junkyard guy comes to get it?

Wait, "Parts Car" isn't a regressive thing in your world? It's parts cars all the way down.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Harbor Freight coupon codes good through 6/20/13:

68024916 : Free 7 function ohmmeter with ANY purchase (P/N: 90899/98025/69096)
12286763 : The infamous float charger for $4.99 (P/N: 42292/69594/69955)
58042855 : 3 ton "Heavy Duty" STEEL floor jack (75lbs) for $69.99 (P/n: 68048/69227)

Everything else was pretty worthless/normal priced.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Of everyone, I didn't expect Motronic to be the one living a goons' dream.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I like this one, because it has a cover.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

Are different sized nipples a thing? My grease gun only sort of engaged on the pre-existing ones and when I tried to pump grease in all it did was spurt out around them. Are there different heads available or something? This is a bit of a problem.

Not so sure about this, but one ball usually hangs lower - if that helps..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Has anyone tried one of those useless looking Harbor Freight defrosters? The folks' rear window defroster flaked, and they refused to let me check out the grid over the summer months to look for breaks, because, you know, no need - and now we're in the many-moons-of-freezing territory.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

0toShifty posted:

No matter how good/bad it is - the maximum it can use from a car's cigarette lighter is about 150W. That's if your lighter is fused at 15amps. That outlet is meant to light a cigarette, not defrost a window!

Doesn't really matter, being harbor freight, it just doesn't work. :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cakefool posted:

I've had halfords replace broken tools years after I bought them, they're like Harbor freight or craftsman sorta.

I was honest about it too.

Harbor Freight has lifetime warranties on hand tools. They'll still break, but they will replace them. Its anything that isn't a hand tool that you need to worry about.

Folks picked one up, open box. Shocking, I know - it didn't work! :iiam:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Looks like its that time again..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
It can't hurt to check out freecycle, either.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

Also: harbor freight 3/4 drive 20pc set, 16 sockets, 2 extensions, ratchet, breaker bar, for 60 bucks? Don't mind if I do! I spent more than that on the few 3/4 drive tools I already own, now I have the full set. Slow is Fast tipped me off on these...

These are an awesome set. I picked mine up the last time they were about $60. So far they are the only HF hand tools I've never destroyed, despite almost trying. The breaker bar is second to none, and the sockets grip well. I will admit that I am disappointed that this (metric) kit did not have 15mm or 16mm. However, for everything else, it works great. I've replaced 4 NSS and other various tranny related stuff with mine.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DrakeriderCa posted:

Is there a recommendation for an OBD2 reader for an iPhone? I've seen people use cables and wifi adapters.

Which adapter is the best, and which app to go with it?

The general consensus is to get a crappy $50 no-commitment Android phone with Bluetooth. The Wifi ones that work with iPhone are incredibly expensive, and limited.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DrakeriderCa posted:

Really? eBay is full of $20 wifi models. Are they junk?

I've been considering getting a cheap android tablet for playing with, but if I could use my iPhone I'd rather stick with that.

To various degree of 'working', I suppose. Every time it comes up, someone says "Too limited or too expensive." Take your pick. :shrug:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

blk posted:

Torque wrenches: should I just get whatever's best rated on Amazon (~$50) or go to Harbor Freight?

Rhyno posted:

HF all the way. A goon did some really excellent comparison tests of major torque wrenches a few years back and the HF stuff stands up to ones that cost 4 times as much.

Pretty much this. Some HF hand tools are useful. Mos t are trash, but they all have a lifetime warranty.. even the $3 socket sets.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

metallicaeg posted:

This is what working part time at Harbor Freight will do to you

I notice that these are pretty much only the lifetime warranty hand tools. Go fig. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Uthor posted:

My electrical box was getting kind of full and I wanted a place to consolodate some computer hardware. I heard about using a fishing tackle box for tools, so I picked one up. Fairly happy how it worked out. I can organize bits and cables and there is plenty of space in the bottom for my multimeter and bigger tools. I think I'm going to take a Dremel to the bottom tray and cut away some of the dividers to fit my pliers and soldering iron and such up there. I'm a little concerned about tipping, however. The stuff in the lower two trays should be secure, but I'm keeping plugs, splices, and screws in baggies in the top tray so they don't go flying all over.

Take apart some lovely 3" speakers. Epoxy the magnets to the bottom. Now it'll stick to metal objects, too. :effort: