Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
free wrench rack type organizer from scrap electrical wire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3fn_ldoSL4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
You could try .25 auto trays if you can find them empty somewhere. a .25 auto casing is .302 in in diameter at its widest point, and they would sit slightly loose in the tray, so add a couple thousandths to that. I know i have 1/2 a box of .25 auto *somewhere* around here, if I can find it I will put a few bits in it and take a pic, but I haven't seen it in a while so don't hold your breath.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Can anyone recommend a tool box that is basically a small bench-top tool chest? I want a metal tool box with drawers for wrenches and sockets. Everything I carry with me fits pretty neatly into a 19" box so I'd like something similar in size to that.

http://www.sears.com/26-in-6-drawer-heavy-duty-ball-bearing/p-00937711000P?prdNo=3

The one I have is discontinued, but its the same as above except it has a removable parts organizer instead of the top 3 little drawers. Something like that is nice because you can put it on a cart and wheel it out to the driveway where you are working on your car. You can probably find something similar at harbor freight for cheaper, and the US General boxes seem to have a good reputation on this forum.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I finally came across that box of .25 auto and took a pic for the guy that was looking for ideas on storing screwdriver bits, sorry I don't remember who it was...

The bits fit really well in there.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Gonna preach for a minute here, since I am a retard and should learn to follow safety procedures more. I have used angle grinders 1000s of times and know how to not maim myself, despite my lapse in judgement today.

At work today, I had to do some cutting with an angle grinder, and got extremely lucky that I didn't maim myself worse.

Mistake #1: After seeing that the only grinder available to me didn't have a guard, I chose to use it anyway.
Mistake #2: I was wearing those thin fabric gloves with the palm dipped in rubber for grip, and they were the wrong gloves for power tool use.
Mistake #3: I was/am very complacent around angle grinders since I have used them so much, and don't take much time to think about what I am doing while using one, aside from getting a good cut.

I finished my cut, and was reaching with my thumb to turn off the grinder when I moved my index fingat for some reason and put it right against the blade. It cut all the way to the bone, but I am lucky that it didn't get me worse. Injury is worse than the pic shows, nms for a little blood.

:nms: :nms:
http://i.imgur.com/7jKScKD.jpg
:nms: :nms:

Today's lesson: Don't be like me, use these tools with the utmost care.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Can anyone recommend me a good 2-3 jaw gear puller. Lifetime warranty would be nice but I want to spend less than 60 on it. Did a little reading and saw that the older craftsman ones are nice but the newer ones are on par with harbor freight's. I broke my last one and I'm tired of renting them from Autozone.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

melon cat posted:

Thanks for these details. It has really narrowed down my options.

And will I need mason bits if I'm drilling through bricks/cinderblocks?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "D Handle"? And one of the reasons I went with the Milwaukee Magnum was because I kept hearing about how people have successfully used it to mix concrete. Was I wrong for thinking that it can be used for this purpose?

You will need masonry bits for drilling through them. Regular bits will get destroyed pretty quickly. I buy these but I just get them individually at Home Depot since I only use 2 different sizes.

That is what he means by a D handle. Your drill should be fine for mixing concrete, just start with a smaller paddle first to gauge how easy it is to hold onto the drill while you mix.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

melon cat posted:

Thanks for the additional info re: using the Magnum for cement mixing. I'm hoping to do a concrete pour for a kitchen sink at some point, so we'll see how that goes.

I ended up getting these RIDGID Black Oxide drill bits. They had the Milwaukee Thunderbolts, but only the much more expensive Titanium version. I hope I didn't choose wrong (quality-wise) with RIDGID instead?

Even crappy bits can be useful, you just have to sharpen them more. I suggest you watch some youtube videos on how to properly drill into metals, the videos should cover speed, lubrication, and feed rate, and also look for some videos on how to sharpen your own bits. I bought a HF drill index with like 150 bits a couple years ago to have a good selection of odd sizes, and while they dull faster than quality bits, knowing how to sharpen them saves me money on expensive bits that I rarely use. For sizes that you use often, it is better to buy a quality bit. I will edit this in a little while to post a good video on drilling metals, I can't find it and it is bookmarked on my laptop which is not with me right now.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Any recommendations on a good 12 volt tire pump? Got into a jam today and was able to borrow one, but I should probably have my own.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I remember a discussion a couple weeks ago about grease guns. Did we ever come up with a decision on what the best one to buy was?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks guys! I remembered that I had an Alemite c-600 in the bottom of my box with a broken rigid extension on it so I just got a replacement hose and coupler from advance auto. I don't do a lot of greasing so the $10 to repair a quality grease gun was a better choice than buying a crappy one. I also have another extension for it that it is just a tube with a small diameter straight end on it, no idea what that is for..

iForge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 27, 2014

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I made a thing today! I was looking for a 12 volt light with alligator clips to hook onto my battery so I can see when I inevitably have to fix something on this heap in the middle of the night on a pitch black road, and couldn't find something that fit exactly what I was looking for and also fit my budget at the same time. Bulb (recommended to me by a friend) was $18.99 shipped, the drop light was $8 but only came with a 6 foot cord so I put my own 15 footer on there, and the alligator clips I had in the drawer. No pic of the light itself while it is on, since it was completely washing out the image. The bulb I used is this one if anyone is interested.

The last thing I want to do is to figure out a plastic cover to go over the bulb because it looks to be a bitch to clean if I drip something nasty on it.

Light off

Light on

Closeup

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

For wrenching clothes, I have a pair of FR coveralls that I "borrowed" from the refinery. When they get too dirty I'll take them back to be washed and bring a new pair home. gently caress putting oily clothes in my home washing machine.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

slidebite posted:

Hydraulics are stupid easy to repair as long as the rod isn't worn/rusted. If the jack is going to be turfed anyhow, maybe try to take it apart. You might be able to fix it for $2 worth of O-rings and backups.

Assuming, of course, you are able to disassemble it :buddy:

Do you have a good how-to for this? I have a 30+ year old craftsman bottle jack that slowly drops, and would love to rebuild it and make it last another 30+ years.

Ghost edit: Are there specific o-rings that you have to buy for it, or will standard rubber ones do? I have one of those million packs of every size of o-ring ever made and it would be pretty cool if I could just use those.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

slidebite posted:

Sorry, no guide but there is really nothing to a hydraulic cylinder. Just make sure you put the items in the right way.

Standard nitrile (the normal black) are generally all that's in them, but the ring back-ups might be made out of something else, urethane is common.

If you do some googling you'll probably find something.

Cool thanks! It is leaking around the piston that pumps the fluid when you pump the handle. Its been kicking around in the back of my truck for the last 3 months dripping fluid all over my bed, this will be a good excuse to end that.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I absolutely abuse my older craftsman stuff and it holds up really well, but when i put the same treatment to my newer stuff, it crumbles. I'm a huge fan of my HF impact sockets though, they have been through hell and never let me down.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Armchair Calvinist posted:

My bench vise is a piece of poo poo and broken and I need a new one. Any suggestions under $120? (Including Craigslist) Are Craftsman vises any good?

My opinion is that new vises are absolute poo poo unless you pay upwards of $300. Buy an old Wilton "bullet" vise from the 40's-50's and you'll never have to buy another again. I have a huge one that must weigh 80 pounds and it has put up with so much abuse. I paid $10 at the scrapyard for it and had to use prybars and a scissor jack to open the jaws, but after a quick restoration it is great.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

sharkytm posted:

I can get pictures in a few days, I've got a bunch that I should sell. How big do you want? I've got a bunch of smaller (3" and 4") vises, and only one monster, which could use some work.

Depending on what the huge one is and what you want for it, i'd be interested

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Get a press. Seriously. If you keep using a vise for one, it'll break. They aren't designed for that kind of force.

I've got a Dake lever-actuated arbor press that works way better than a vise.

I'll get pictures tomorrow if I remember.
I've got a massive 5" Wilton that's seized and missing a lot of parts, but I can't get rid of it yet.

I've got a really nice Monarch that I'm keeping, a small Athol swivel-jaw that is unused (and I'm keeping), and about 4 others that could go. One Parker that I repainted, another Parker that's been brazed back together, a Simplex, and at least 2 others.

if you remove the front jaw/slide assembly, there will be a 2 digit date stamped into the tube, that is not the date of manufacture, but the date the warranty ran out. They were sold with a 5 year warranty, so yours is 5 years older than that date code.

edit: on the wilton that is

iForge fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 22, 2014

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Oh, I'm aware of the date stamp. This fucker is seized up tight. Its a scrap-yard find, and sat in water for a while.

When I got mine it was a ball of rust. I had to remove the screw and use wedges and a couple of prybars to open it wide enough to fit a scissor jack between the jaws, then slowly got it open the rest of the way. The grease was petrified so it soaked in gasoline for a few days and everything cleaned up nicely. I took a bunch of pictures of the process but I don't think I posted them. I've never owned a better vise.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

one of these and a 5 gallon gas/diesel/kerosene can is the best way to go.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Thats basically what I used to do (except not with a $50 drain pan:wtc:) but a pan that is also a sealable container removes the need to pour the pan into something else for transport and cuts down on the cleaning needed to store the pan vertically. It isn't a huge deal, but it adds up over time.

Yeah I have that yellow pan and I know I didn't pay that much. Sears also lists a 4 pack of an identical pan with a different brand name for $47 so that listing can't be right.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I finally got around to taking a picture of my Wilton vise. It is a 1949 model if I remember correctly. Water bottle for scale.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

sharkytm posted:

I wish mine was that nice...

Mine wasn't when I got it in 2009. Dug these pics off an old hard drive just for you! I had to chisel and pry the jaws open enough to get a scissor jack in there to open it up. I wire wheeled it and soaked poo poo in gasoline to remove the petrified grease. I had to make a new washer for the front to lock the screw to the sliding jaw, as the screws were broken off and it was missing. Its missing the pivot base but I don't care, it is the best vise I've ever owned, and I only paid like 10 bux at the scrap yard for it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I'm a big fan of the 4 way wrenches. They don't take up much more room than a single, and I stop fairly often to change tires for people stuck on the side of the road so it's handy to have a couple different sizes on one tool.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

MRC48B posted:

But where will you find plastic sockets?

You gotta talk to the guy with the 3d printer in his carry-on luggage.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

People in IRC are liking the pics of the big tools we use at work, so I'll post a few here.

These sockets are 1" and 1-1/2" drive, sizes 1" up to ~5". Bigger ones are seldom used and are kept somewhere else, so no pics of them.
We have combination wrenches up to 3" here, bigger ones are available elsewhere if needed.

Bigass drill bit for the bigass drill press

Bigass impact socket.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Uthor posted:

Neat! I was idly wondering if I could get a cheap set online. I have a cheapo set that fits over my glasses, but the two layers of lenses royally messes with my eyes and it feels like my eyes are constantly struggling to focus when wearing them. I rarely need them, so spending a lot for a nice pair wouldn't be worth it.

These are the kind I have. Someone handed them to me the first time I went into a factory like ten years ago and that's all I've ever used.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/3M-Indoor-Clear-Frame-Eyeglass-Protector-47031-WZ6/205137840/

I bought a pair from rxsafety dot com and they aren't too bad. They ran me around $75 but you can get cheaper ones there. There's a goon in SA-Mart that does glasses, I'm not sure if he does safety ones though, you might go check his thread.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

This finally came in the mail yesterday!

It is a bit bigger than I imagined from the listing but I am very impressed with the quality of it. Everything screws together very well with no slop in the threads. Hella excited to use it, and it even has an attachment that replaces the adjusting screw on a pair of vise grips so you can clamp onto stuff that the other attachments won't grab. Pic below with money for scale.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

:smug:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Motronic posted:

Gonna give you my standard recommendation: Carolina boots.

This. I am on my 3rd pair of Carolinas in about 8 years and I wear them 6 days a week, The logger boots are a bit heavier, but I prefer them because I do a fair bit of work off ladders and the higher heel lets me lock on to the rungs a little better.I work in refineries, commercial, and industrial facilities full of oily puddles, steel grating, up and down ladders, and on concrete floors covered with metal grinding dust and the soles hold up extremely well. Cannot recommend them enough, plus most of their stuff is made in the USA!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Seriously thinking about picking up one of those Flir infrared cameras for work. Anyone have one? Thoughts?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

DocCynical posted:

I bought an E8 because they were on "sale" and it is awesome. I use it to check heat trace in the winter because when it is -35°C you can't tell if the 3°C heat trace is on, everything is cold. Shows up like a light bulb in thermal and you just point it in that general direction.

As others have said, get the E4 and hack it. I didn't know about that part. Good thing they pay me too well up in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah the E4 is a bit out of the range of what I would spend on something like that. I was looking more at the TG165

I can get it for $300.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I wear size 16 EEEE and Carolina logger boots are the only ones I buy. Period.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

scuz posted:

Would a 6-ton press be enough force to take care of control arm bushings in most vehicles? No huge trucks are in my future, only passenger vehicles.

Always get more press than you think you'll need. Get the HF 12 ton or 20 ton. Trust me.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

wormil posted:

I need to change out bearings on woodworking machines, bandsaws, lathes. Bearings are about 2" diameter and the deepest one is about 2.5" down on the spindle. I don't know jack about bearing pullers and need a suggestion. It will probably get less than a dozen uses in my lifetime so price accordingly. I see 2 jaw, 3 jaw, sliding hammer things, wedges; it's all new to me. Thanks.

I have those, they rock.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-93980.html

I have that exact set and it will do what you need. Change out the washers it comes with for thicker and wider ones or you'll regret it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Grease gun chat: I have a Westward brand one for work. That is Grainger's house brand. Its the black one not the blue one, the blue is different and lovely. Its had probably 30 tubes of grease through it so far and has never failed me. I have a rag tied around the end of the plunger rod to absorb any small leaks of oil and also to have a rag handy to wipe up after i grease a fitting. I dont know how much it cost but it cant be too much.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

scuz posted:

Welder chat! Maybe gone over this before! Looking for some advice on how/where to begin, specifically a beginner's MIG/TIG welder. Should I splurge and get one that's gonna last for a long time? I don't plan on doing like more than a dozen hours of welding per month, and I'm no slouch at soldering, though I understand that the process is a bit different.

Go read the last couple of pages in the Creative Convention - DIY & Hobbies Blacksmithing/Metalwork thread.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

I think they switched to a different formula of gas, in the US it's called MAP Pro now. I use it for searing steaks and yeah it could do plumbing and bolt loosening pretty well too.

They are using the MAP name for familiarity reasons, but they stopped making MAPP gas and they just use propylene now. An air-propane or air-acetylene turbo torch would be preferred for bolt loosening over those little bottles of MAP Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Yesterday's news. :

Are you ever able to not be an insufferable oval office? I POSTED IT FIRST NYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH