Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I spent a far bit too much recently on some of my favorite German tools.

Chadstoolbox.com had a 25% off Wera weekend and $500 later I now have a full metric 1/4, 3/8. and 1/2 of every commonly used socket on my cars. Along with locking
extensions, wobble extensions, flex joints, metric/standard ball allen, mini screwdrivers, chisel drivers (screw drivers you can hammer on), a bitratchet set, and a full set of Knipex pliers wrenches.
The awesome ratchets came with screwstick bottle openers as a free gift. Next up are some NWS pliers.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ASSTASTIC posted:

poo poo! Was this sale this past weekend?! Why didn't you tell us?! :(

Sorry mate, only thought of the thread two weeks after it shipped.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
1) Get a oiled unit- oilless will drive you slowly insane with the noise
2) Find out the required CFM of your largest air tool and add 2cfm, this should
give you the number of CFM you need to look for.
3) Watch out for "all in one motor-pump combo" units as they are basically throw away units.

My backup compressor is a Husky 30gal vertical unit with a 3.5hp 15amp 120v motor and iron pump. I got it for $50 off CL, changed the oil, and it runs great.
Grab a speedair filter/pressure regulator and you should be set. ALWAYS drain your compressor after every use unless you want the tank to rust out.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...06-36da8b50359c

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If I were looking to invest in a system of cordless tools with a decent drill/driver, reciprocating saw, and a legit impact, what should I be looking at?

Milwaukee has their lithium 18v system with an impact that does 450 ft-lbs. Anything out there with similar power that isn't so loving expensive? (Or, do I need that kind of power for normal household / auto uses? I figured if I were going to get an impact it should be able to really apply some torque.)

I bought a M18 Milwaukee impact two weeks ago for some upcoming projects. I had sworn that I would never buy a Milwaukee again after the BS warranty on my V18 gear left me with two dead batteries after only a year. I was planning on buying Makita or Bosch, but a deal came up that was just too darn good. My old V18 gear works fine, except the batteries are terrible and the tools weigh a ton. The new M18 stuff is super light and the batteries last much longer. The power is great, the last few weekends I have been building a small shed/car port and we were getting 300+ screws out of one charge. It drove 3 1/2" screws twice as fast as my V18 every could even when new. I am going to go ahead and buy a 1/2 drill to go with it and give the V18 stuff to my dad. One battery works great still, but replacements were 1/2 the cost of my new impact.

As far as the research I have done and personal experience shows:
Low end: Ryobi- works great for the price
Mid range: Dewalt/ Milwaukee
Highend: Bosch/ Makita
Outta your mind: Fein/ Metabo/ Panasonic

Everything nearly is made in China now though, well at least what you will find at the box stores.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 27, 2011

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Very nice job, I should post our restored 1948 Champion- 23cfm @90 psi for $150.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Since last time someone missed out, Chads tool box is having a 40% off Wera Tools sale through Monday
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ChadsToolboxcom-Inc/162274440891

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
These. 100x over.
If you do any type of standard service on, well, anything, but these.

3/8 14.4v Ingersoll Rand Cordless impact + 1/2 19.2v Cordless Impact.

The only thing we used the air gun on was the flywheel.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Aluminum floor jack recommendations? My HF 3ton finally died and I can't bring myself to buy another. Anyone used a Torin/OTC/Arcan aluminum jack before? I have a Arcan steen jack (cosco) and it works amazing.

Cheap code reader recommendations? My HF one walked off :(. I just need it to pull basic codes from our randoms cars.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Just a FYI all harbor frieght machine tools (drill presses, bandsaws, lathes) all use the same castings as Jet, grizzly, and other like northern. You pay for quality control and slightly better accessories.

Oh and I have yet to break my HF prybars, impact sockets, swivel impacts, or long needle nose pliers even with daily use for 2yrs.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sharkytm posted:

If anyone needs drill bits, there's an eBay seller who is selling sets of Norseman bits for cheap. He's accepting offers of $50 per set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171014517480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321096858625?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The ones with the 3 flats on them are HSS, the round shanks are Moly bits that are supposed to be really good for harder materials like Stainless.
I bought both sets... $100 for two sets of bits that normally sell for $100 each.

All out of the Moly bits :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Decided to buy a new TIG after selling my Syncrowave. Awesome little machine. Got it used with 2.5h (demo) and with a contractor kit for $1k off. :D
Free bottle fill on my 225's both for MIG and TIG too. Always support your local welding company, they can be awesome.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Brain Issues posted:

Top drawer with my most commonly used sockets, ratchets, extensions.

Screwdriver/Torxdriver/Prybar/Picks/Trimtool drawer.

Love for the Wera!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Heads up: Home Depot has been clearing out their Rigid plumbing tools. I grabbed a 24" Pipe wrench for $17.98 on clearance today.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sbyers77 posted:

Just bought a house and driving my lady nuts with the tools spread everywhere. I have been authorized to buy a tool chest of some sort.

Looks like woot has a Craftsman tool chest for $255 today. I am also thinking about trying to score one on Black Friday from Home Depot or Lowes or even Harbor Freight.

I am not worried about brand or being super high quality, but I don't want a flimsy POS either. Any pointers on specific models/brands that have a decent price/quality ratio? I'd like something in the $200 range, but can go higher if needed.

Ironically enough, harbor freight has the most solid out of those. Husky and Craftsman are onsale on black friday, but you can't beat the $349 40" US general. Best all around toolbox out there IMO.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sbyers77 posted:

That would be this red 44" one, yes?

The black one felt pretty flimsy last time I was there, which was below my quality threshold. The red ones seemed pretty solid. The general consensus is the black ones are crummy, but the reds ones are decent?

Yep, I may spend a bit too much time on Garage Journal... The black are terrible and the red are top notch, considered just a step low then the higher end Mac/Strap-on/Matco/ect.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Massive tool deal alert!

Zoro Tools is supposedly offering 30% on ANYTHING Cyber Monday. I'm planning on picking up a Miller 375 Extreme plastma cutter for $1k- just under $500 off.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Any of the three are going to do the job. Your only concern should be budget. Lincoln has supplies available at most home stores. Hobart is owned by Miller and uses last gen technology. Miller makes drat solid machines- which perform very well. I'm buying a Hobart for my father for sheet metal repair. Anything larger then that, he can come and use my 240v Miller. You just missed Zoro tools offering 30% the Hobard 140. I believe it was $410 shipped.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Zoro tools is 25% off TODAY ONLY!!!!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
drat you I just bought a TX72 because you post reminded me how much I disliked the fixed handle on my TL72 and love the flex of my FX80.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I did the same thing, started with the 300 piece Craftsman set, except I bought a Craftsman professional 3/8 and 1/2 before I bought my Snap-On's. I hated the Craftsman and love the Snap-On's, but I never bought a 1/2 because I have impact guns and a breaker bar for anything that large. After using my friends I kinda want an older 936 flex head just because.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I use a set of $30 Milwaukee HSS for general every day use. I've also been impressed by this set: http://www.harborfreight.com/115-piece-high-speed-drill-bit-set-with-index-528.html

If I am drilling a exhaust stud, I will usually use a Triumph or cobalt tipped bit. Slow with lots of lube.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Deal alert: Home Depot has 20% select Dewalt, Makita, Bosch and more tools right now- combine with giftcards from cardpool for 28% off total! I bought a Makita track saw and sander.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 19, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have a 6", 10" and 12" Pliers Wrench from Knipex. You can pry them from my cold dead hands.

http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603250-10-Inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B000X4OG94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391637664&sr=8-1&keywords=knipex

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone looking for some cheap sockets or wrenches?
Head over to Sears.com and sort by price. They are clearing out USA made Industrial and Polished wrenches/sockets. I bought a set of metric and standard wrenches to give to a buddy who had his bag jacked from his truck.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kastein posted:

If it is anything like their angle grinder it will grind off more than casting burrs :v:

(I had one of their angle grinders try and maim me with a cooling fan blade that it abruptly jettisoned out a cooling vent in my direction. gently caress ever buying anything HF with an electric motor in it that I have to be near.)

I have four of their grinders and every one has lasted 100x longer then I thought it would. Mind you I did immediately yank off the gear box, clean, and grease everything with GOOD grease. This was 4-5 years ago, so I'm sure the quality has just gone down further.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Ouch I wouldn't pay over $100 for the FX888. The WHS40 doesn't look too bad, it's a good brand and it seems to have temperature control so it should work reasonably well.

The FX888 were $59.99 on clearance @ Fry's recently, not that this helps him now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CountOfNowhere posted:

What is everyone's favorite bench grinder?

Cheap option: Ryobi
Better: Dewalt
Good: Jet
Best: Metabo
10x better then all of these put together: Oldschool Baldor.

*I have a Ryobi, Jet, Metabo, and a oldschool Baldor in the shop.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

WashinMyGoat posted:

Ouch. To take this one step further, Metabo has the WEPBA series with an auto-brake. Even with a non-locking switch, there is still a danger of the wheel spinning after you release the switch. The WEPBA automatically brakes the wheel in 2 seconds or less.

If you go to 2:20 of this video, it shows it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8SIXxyhz_A

I have a customer that does work at a power plant, and this is the only angle grinder they will allow on site. They are about $260 dollars, but the safety guys love them because everyone goes home with all of their fingers.

I blame you. I've wanted a WEP14 for a long time, but after that accident and learning about the WEPBA series, I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kmcormick9 posted:

Anyone have any experience with husky toolboxes? The 46" one that's 299 on the site is 240 at my local HD which is about 100 less than the comparable harbor freight one and has that wood top that I could mount a small vise to.

Homeowner user: Probably just fine. Like Powershift mentioned, it cheap chinese steel.
Weekend wrencher: Get the 44" HF box, it's the new "cheap, yet decent" recommendation from pretty much everyone.
Serious hobbiest: Get the 56" or 72" HF box, dollar for dollar can't be beat.

Really comes down to two things: Budget and what you think works the best for your needs.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been wanting to pickup some large 6" C channel the next time I'm at our local metal yard that sells remnants by the pound to make a better press then my 20T HF special. The drat thing works, but it's a POS. For $100 + some hydraulics, I can build a much nicer one.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Kilersquirrel posted:

Can anybody point me to that gasket material cleaning wheel? I remember seeing it a while back but can't remember the name. About to do a long-overdue trans+diff service and I'm expecting them both to be a pain in the rear end to clean.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-...oc+bristle+disc

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not sure how your luck on Kijiji is, but I regularly see older USA made Milwaukee 1/2" drills for $60 here on craigslist- that is if you don't mind used. I bought my last one off CL.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I vote for the HF44" box. It's a solid box for $359.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

melon cat posted:

I went and bought the Milwaukee 0234-6 Magnum. But now I need a set of drill bits. I'll be drilling into wood, occasional masonry, and stirring cement with it. Which types/brand of drill bits should I be getting?

Wood bits: I use Dewalt's brad point set. http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW1720-Brad-Point-6-Piece/dp/B005GOM3VO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398366244&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+brad+point
General Purpous: I ended up with a couple sets of these for $30/each. Not sure they are worth $60 though. http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-...ukee+drill+bits
Comedy option: I have the Harbor Freight 115 piece it and it's held up incredibly well for $26 after coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/115-piece-high-speed-drill-bit-set-with-index-528.html
Masonry: This is not a hammer drill- I recommend only buying the bit size you need and make sure it is for a standard drill.
Stirring cement? It's going to suck- a D handle would have been better suited for that. Occasional use, it can easily turn a 3" spade. Any larger and you will have issues holding on.

Now if you want to waste a ton of money, I bought a set of Norseman 115 piece Black Moly bits and I loooove them so far. At $535, you might not...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 24, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Are these really decent? I know its HF, but if they take decent abuse, screw it!

I used the numbered set mainly for the last three years (when tapping) and it held up. I broke one bit and resharpened it. It's been worth what I paid.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm rocking some Microflex (can't recall which model). So far they have held up and with Zorotools offering pretty much monthly discounts, I've paid less then the Harbor Freight black heavy duty nitrile gloves.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone here have or work with a tubing bender? I'm looking at a Baileigh or JD2 Model 32 or 4.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I swear I post the same thing every few months.

1) Go through your tools and find the one that draws the most CFM. You can now base what compressor you choose off it. Want to run air tools and paint? 5-8 CFM. Want to run a $199 harbor freight sand blaster? 10+ CFM.
2) Stay away from oil-free. I can't say this enough.
3) There's only a handful of compressor manufactures. Campbell Hausfeld is what you see at 90% of big box stores, including Home Depot, Lowes, and even Harbor Freight. They provide OEM pumps for several brands.
4) Watch out for over rating. Not only on the motors (5hp PEAK = 3.5hp running, always check the actual motor amps), but on the compressors too, I've seen some scamish "12cfm" peak bullshit the last time I was looking.

I could rant more, but I will make this quick. Don't buy a compressor from Sears, you will regret it. For $300 you can find a used 60gal Husky/Campbell on craigslist that's much, much better.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So what are you guys using for cutting fluid? I've got about a quarter inch of lame steel to put a few holes in and my bit is... not great. No access to a press either, unfortunately.

Rapid Tap or what ever lowes sells as cutting fluid for $10/quart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Ironically enough, we broke our sawzall cutting a miata chassis in half. I was going to buy a new one, but I grabbed a older Milwaukee off craigslist. It let me to wonder though, what are you guys using? Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Makita?