Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Could someone give me an idea on how good of a deal this is: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/3742411808.html

I don't currently have a compressor or any air tools, and all of my car work is done in my single-stall apartment garage. A good compressor and tools are something I want to get at some point, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Hah, yeah. Looking at some of the other pictures, the plate on it even says 230V. Oh well.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I used to work at a wiring harness company where we had butane soldering irons, and yeah, they were an enormous pain in the rear end. Never wanted to start, and you had to be very quick with them on smaller wires or you'd melt the insulation in a second or two. Also, ours had an exhaust vent near the tip (useful for heatshrink) that would also burn things near what you were working on if you weren't paying attention.

Edit: We apparently used nice ones, too: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Appliance-UT-100Si-TC-Ultratorch-Professional/dp/B0012B51JG
They were still a pain in the rear end.

boxen fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 11, 2014

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the reminder, I just picked up one for my dad for Father's Day.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I've got a Victorinox of some sort, I think this one: http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-SwissTool-Pouch/dp/B00GY23J6K

It seems a little better made than the Leatherman I had before it (Pulse, I think?), although that was also a decent tool. Other than build quality, the big difference is that I like the locking mechanism on the Victorinox much better.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If I remember, eight grade 5 1/4-20 bolts should be able to hold something over eight tons of pure axial load, so I think you either got some horseshit fasteners or something funky is going on. Socket head cap screws are typically stronger than grade 8 for a given size due to extra hardening I think, too.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Anyone who wants to know about fasteners, I strongly recommend Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook.

Also, everything else he's written is great reading for various aspects of racecar design and construction. Required reading for a lot of FSAE teams, and the man himself was an FSAE judge for many years.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I got some Sears giftcards for Christmas, and since I've been wanting to get a jumper box for awhile, I picked one of these up:
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-portable-power-1150/p-02871688000P

I've read some reviews (really should have done that before buying it, but I was in a hurry), and it seems due to the polarity protection on it, this jumper won't jump a battery that's completely dead. Now, I've drained the battery on my e30 pretty damned dead due to leaving the parking lights on during work, so if I can't jump a battery that's that dead, the jumper box is really no better for me than the cables I already have.
I'm going to test this out tomorrow by draining my battery on purpose and trying to jump it, but in the meantime, does anyone have experience with something like this? Is there a workaround, or recommendations for a better jumper box?

If the box doesn't work how I'd like it to, I'm just going to take it back for store credit. Anyone have any suggestions for tools or related stuff from sears that's nice to have? I have a decent set of tools that includes most of the regular stuff. I was looking at the gear wrench swivel ratchets... I didn't see any demo drivers or clamping adjustable wrenches.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
There's a coupon for the Harbor Freight 3-ton right now, too, $80.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
On the website, front and center, is where I found it. I have that jack and it's always worked fine, even though it's heavy as gently caress.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Uthor posted:

I was going to get myself a HF tool cart because my tool box is maxed out. I got a coupon in the mail for the 4 drawer black cart for $108 and a 20% off coupon that would make the 5 drawer red cart $152.

I don't really need the extra space that the red cart affords, but I'm wondering if it would be higher enough quality to justify the $44.

Thoughts?

Double check the fine print on your coupons... all of the ones I've seen lately aren't valid for "tool storage" items.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, there's a HF near me that always has clueless teenagers working and chatting away on their cell phones at the register. When I finally decide to bite the bullet on a 44" or 56" toolbox, I'm going to go late on a weekday and bring a 20% off coupon, just in case.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

get a bigger hammer and try again.

Words to live by.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
My parents sent me a $40 Sears gift card for Christmas, and I've been debating what to spend it on. Does anyone have any ideas for neat things Sears sells I could use it on? I'm thinking I might just pick up something made by Knipex or Klein, or a set of either the Gearwrench stubby ratcheting wrenches or the flex ones.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Raluek posted:

I'd wait until whichever Gearwrench set you like goes on sale, then nab one of each in standard and metric.

Thing is, I already have a set of six each (I think) of SAE and Metric, but they're not flex heads. I can think of situations where either a stub or a flex would have been handy, but I was just wondering if anything else at Sears would be super great. I wandered around a bit last year and picked up a jump-start box.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Looks like there's some Dremel tools on Amazon's deal of the day.

if I get the single speed, am I going to regret not getting the variable? I think this thread has said before that the cordless ones are trash.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is variable speed actually useful, though?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

wallaka posted:

Water-based personal lubricant works pretty good, and makes your tires smell like strawberries or whatever!

Finally, a use for that drum of lube I have sitting around.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant-Gallon/dp/B005MR3IVO

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I've just discovered that you can get 20" Hi-Lifts:

I can't decide if that's pointless or adorable.

That needs to go on a lowered Jeep.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Does anyone have any opinions/experience with the Harbor Freight engine hoist/shop crane? I'm thinking of picking one up to pull an engine, and the ones I see on Craigslist always sell too quickly.

Amazon apparently has some as well, for $10 shipping (not Prime-eligible), I guess that's also an option.

I guess I'm looking for a 2-ton crane (more because I want extra length than I need high-capacity), and I'd like it to have folding legs due to limited floor space in my garage.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Overhead cranes aren't really an option, I'm renting the garage. Currently pulling the engine out of the car in a friend's garage, with no exposed beams.
Thanks for the feedback, I really just wanted to make sure it wasn't "kill you and everyone you've ever met" bad. I can deal with having to add fluid when I need to use it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

kastein posted:

I have one and would recommend it. I left it in the yard in the rain and snow for several years, sometimes extended sometimes fully collapsed, and the piston shaft definitely got a bit rust pitted but it still worked alright-ish. Lent it to ACEofsnett on a longterm basis, he threw a new ram on it because it was annoying him, and it continues to work fine. I think I've owned it since... 2010? and probably used it a dozen times, never really taking care of it.

The wheels don't roll very well (no bearings, just cast iron wheel with a shaft through it) so lube them a bit with some wd40 or something. Also, it's very much like a mechanics crawler, it'll hold up 250lb or 4000lb (respectively) but it can't roll over a loving ziptie, so I hope your floor is smooth.

Alright, sounds like it'll be fine then. I'm working on a Fiero, and pulling the engine out of it involves unbolting the subframe and lifting the rear of the car a few feet in the air, and sliding the engine/transmission/subframe assembly out from under the car, so the crane doesn't actually need to roll.

It even looks like the 20% off coupon might work on their shop cranes.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
http://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m12-drill-or-impact-combo-kit-deals-112016/

Seems like Home Depot has some solid deals on M12 stuff, today only.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
So, a 52" Snap-On lower box popped up on CL for an almost too-good-to-be-true price. The ad says that it's missing the top drawer and needs new keys, which says to me "stolen". The ad shows the model number and serial number, is there any way to look up if this box was ever reported stolen anywhere? I'm inclined to think no, and a quick google search doesn't turn up much, but I figured Snap-On might keep a database that this could be checked against.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

EKDS5k posted:

Look up the number of any local dealer, and ask if he's heard of any being stolen recently. There's probably no database, but word does get around. Also if it was reported stolen to the police they might have a record of it.

I think that's probably the best option. I don't work at a place where a Snap-On guy will ever show up, so I'll have to poke around on their website until I can get a number. They don't seem to have a customer service, either, I suppose once again they want you to go through the truck guys.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

SPORK08 posted:

Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact with a 5.0 battery for $249 at Home Depot online, today only. Looks like the new model is coming out with 2 batteries and a $479 price tag. This is close to bare tool pricing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-21XC/301099969

They better stop having sales on this M18 stuff. I picked up the 2797 Impact/hammerdrill kit a couple weeks ago, and my dad got me the M18 hackzall for selling his boat on craigslist (for a couple grand more than he expected).

Consider my old dewalt stuff fully replaced. You served me well for a decade, my yellow friends.

HHNNNG.

I wonder what the deal with the new one would be? OneKey, maybe? That's not really useful to me right now, debating if I should just jump on this and go bust some nuts.

mod sassinator posted:

Headlamp chat, Amazon has a nice low end Black Diamond Gizmo lamp for $10 right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011K7JN7M/ This is its cheapest price by about $5. Nice upgrade if you're used to $2 Harbor Freight lamps, this one is properly waterproof and better built.

This is showing up as $25 now? Deal over?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
So I picked up the fuckoff 18V Fuel Milwaukee Impact, and I don't own any impact sockets. I thought I read once that harbor freight's impact sockets are actually decent? Is that correct?

I feel like we need a list of poo poo to get at harbor freight that isn't poo poo, or at least isn't poo poo with a little bit of work. All that I know of for sure is tool chests and hydraulic jacks, and to stay away from electrical and their abrasive consumables.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Here's a list of sales on tools on Amazon for Father's day, looks like some decent stuff:

http://toolguyd.com/amazons-fathers-day-2017-tool-deals/

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

It would probably be good for making carbon fibre bits if you ever felt up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E

It doesn't seem that difficult. Just time consuming.

Yeah, I was gonna suggest vacuum bagging carbon fiber.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I was looking at gear-drive engine stands last night, was debating getting one for an eventual build but they're kind of expensive. This seemed like a pretty slick idea if you've got a welder:

https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74486

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUJKwFE_NvE

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Most of the impact sockets I've seen are black. I always thought it was a common thing so that you could tell them apart from normal sockets at a glance.

My 15mm 3/8 drive socket is somewhere in the driver's side sill of my fiero. Every time I remember I lost it, I usually need it and it's 10pm and everything is closed.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I can't imagine they are, no. I've not used the Halford's, but every flat style ratchet I've used has been utter garbage.

Counterpoint: I have a Gearwrench set and it's pretty great. I'd use it for more than I do, but the range of sockets it came with doesn't cover a lot of what I need.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I've been hugely satisfied with my harbor freight 3 ton jack. It's not the low profile (which sometimes I wish I had) or aluminum, but it's been pretty solid whenever I've needed to use it. My only compliant is that its real goddamned heavy. I can only just barely carry it around with one hand, and it takes two to heave it up into a trunk or back of a pickup.

Tool deal chat:
I've been waiting for this toolchest to come out, and now I find out it's $200 off for the holidays. Well, the holidays are past but apparently the deal is live for a little bit longer. I'm probably picking one up tonight (getting it delivered, one part is 350 lbs, the other is 240).
It's the "nicer" version of Milwaukee's 46" tool chest, which came out about two months ago. Any reviews I've seen really liked it, and at this price it's in the same range as the same size from Harbor Freight.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-46-in-18-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-48-22-8546/301937094

Edit:
Odd issue: The price might depend on your store. One store I was going to buy it from has it advertised for $798, but won't deliver it. Other stores have it for $898, and either don't have it in stock, or also won't deliver. Nothing within 100 miles has it in stock. This could be a fun process.

Edit2:
Stopped in the store, and the sale should be good until 2/26. They WILL deliver, estimated charge for me was $79 but I live within ten miles of the store.

boxen fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 4, 2018

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

for that price maybe you should rent their truck for an hour? its like 20 or 25/hr

Thought about it, but I don't know if I have sufficient friends to help get it into and out of such a truck.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I do mostly automotive stuff with my tools, and I go with Milwaukee stuff for the big M18 fuel impact, and the M12 power ratchet. A lot of other things are a non-factor for me (the tradesman's tools, the huge batteries).

On a tangent, on Saturday I bought that Milwaukee tool chest I posted about, because my only friend that owns a pickup came over to watch football. Buying a toolbox at Home Depot feels real goofy, since you just take one of the assembled ones off the floor and roll it over to the checkout lanes. Ended up getting another $50 off (on top of the $200 off sale) by signing up for the HD credit card. Three non-scrawny dudes were enough to lift the top and bottom (separately) into the back of a pickup.

Had to rearrange my garage so I could fit the toolchest in with all my other poo poo and still have room for a car, and I think I have insufficient garage for my toolchest, but I think that is The Way Things Should Be, rather than the other way around. It's a nice piece too, seems solid and well thought out, although admittedly I haven't even finished putting my tools in it yet.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Ferremit posted:

Bet it was just a set of brushes away from working again, but by that stage the gearbox was crunchy, the chuck didnt grip properly and the new fuel stuff was out so we just upgraded it instead

A brushless would have still been going!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I prefer cordless drills/saws/cutters because there's no cord for me to drill/saw/cut through while I'm working.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hahaha this is only for at home, everyone can read, everyone knows not to touch the breaker box, no one is colour blind.

At work my LOTO procedure is:
Remove main key from relevant machine. Map next to key shows what area is isolated by this key.
Lock key in adjacent lock box. Multiple lock points, key inside is visible.
Padlock is uniquely number and traceable back to me. My danger tag is attached to my lock, shows my face and my access level (what I'm allowed to gently caress with).
Follow safe entry procedure for that machine (different in every case)

If you need to cut a lock off (idiot went home without removing / lost key / idiot can't be found) there's a mandatory 30 minute search period before you get manager signoff to get the spare key or cut the lock. All spare keys are locked away and if you cut your own lock to avoid an rear end-kicking you'll get it later when you either get sent home for but having your lock or when you go crawling to the lock controller for a new lock without a signed cutoff sheet.

I'm the lock controller. I am the key master. Bow before me.

My last job did LOTO... I wasn't technically a shop person, so I never had to deal with it directly. My LOTO training was watching the same 30 minute video everyone else did, then the building supervisor saying, "if you see a lock on something, don't loving touch it."

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

always be closing posted:

I'm asking is this the right tool. Guess it's not judging by your smarmy reply :allears:

always be closing posted:

Cool I want to use it to cut 3/4" x4" boards down to about an 1/8" thickness

If that's the question, and your goal is to end up with 3/4" X 1/8" strips, a table saw would probably work better. A band saw is terrible at cutting straight and perpendicular compared to other tools.

Edit: A circular saw would also work in a pinch, but if you want the cuts to be straight it'd help to set up a guide, rather then just draw a line and try to follow it.

boxen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MrYenko posted:

I come from heavy-jet aviation, where you use what the manufacturer lists in the maintenance manual, or you go find another line of work. I can't even fathom the mindset required to say" ya, this stuff is waaaay better than the recommended, I'll use it on this $50,000 mill."

You might be undershooting the cost of the mill by an order of magnitude, if it's a big CNC. I can easily see some joker thinking "this grease is all sticky and you can't wipe it off, I'll just use oil and everything will stay clean! The jerks that make this just want you to buy their special grease!". I used to work on the design side of heavy industry, our shop guys would have good feedback on some stuff but would try to pull things like that all the time.