Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

I have a Craftsman set. They did the job well enough even having to reef on a few fittings. Maybe they flexed a little, but nothing slipped so all's good. Set was $30 for 5 wrenches (10 sizes).
The only complaint I have is that they're chromed. My Kobalt ones are regular drop forged unfinished and look very tough. They were dirt cheap to boot but I can find them in stores any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Is there an OBDII Android app that records raw data?
I'm not really interested in gauge displays. Torque can record a log, but the values get recorded all at once at a set interval, and that interval is not the same as the broadcast rate. So if I get values recorded 100ms apart but they are broadcast 250ms apart, I get the same data points repeated 2 or 3 times. And if the value doesn't change, I can't tell how many are duplicates and how many are actually broadcast. And then since the data comes in different messages, the values in the log can look out of sync.
I guess I'm just looking to record few PIDs/MIDs asynchronous.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

The problem with Torque is that it's tabulating the data. The table doesn't seem to account for a value holding steady or dropped messages. I'd need to write a script to clean up the Torque log, and it'd be guessing at that and look a little wonky at times with assumptions.

If instead of
code:
 Device Time			RPM	Speed (OBD)(mph)
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.626	1458	9.94
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.726	1474	9.94
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.826	1474	10.56
I could get
code:
 Device Time			Value
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.626	1458rpm
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.675	9.94mph
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.726	1474rpm
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.826	10.56mph
it'd be perfect.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

gently caress that noise, the second I have a good eyecare plan again and some cash saved up I am probably going to get lasik. So in a couple years most likely - I've been reducing my prescription by .25 dioptre every year or two simply by not wearing glasses for ~3 days before each prescription check (I think it makes my eyes exercise a bit and pulls the prescription down gradually instead of letting them get lazy) and I want to see how long that will continue for.

Have you talked to your doctor about that? You usually don't get considered for LASIK until your prescription has stabilized for a couple years.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

1st Edition ADandD posted:

I was planning to do weatherpacks because it's easy to find kits and I'm not gonna have the boat in front of me to plan what to order. Ummmm... so about the crimper...?

You can get away with a cheap $30 SK if you are just doing a couple of jumpers/connectors and it's properly sized. A ratcheting crimper with the right dies is a must if you are going to be using it a lot.
Be sure to get something specific to Weatherpack and it will work. Then practice on a few wire scraps to get your crimps looking good.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Crossposting from Horrible Mechanical Failures thread because it probably belongs here instead.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Gearwrench.com has a few 5-piece sets of ratcheting wrenches in the Hot Deals section for $12-$15. It's a good price to try them before you drop serious cash on a full set.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

I have a '93 Explorer XLT, gross weight of 5040 lbs, and the frame is about ten inches off the ground. I would think that half of the weight would be too close to the 1.5 ton limit of the lower end jacks, and the 14-5/8 in. max height is too small of a lift. Am I doing this wrong?

I use the 1.5 ton jacks for my Explorer. I've never had a reason to lift the frame and just jack the axles. As long as the wheels are off the ground even slightly, there is plenty of room under the frame to do almost anything.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

There's nothing about the weight I should be worried about? I don't mean to be a wuss, but "pinned by truck" doesn't sound fun.

I've never had the slightest problem lifting my Explorer or my Wagoneer. I also only put enough of me under the truck to slide jackstands below an axle, just in case.

Some printable coupons for your trip to the store.
Aluminum 3 ton jack for $180
Steel 3 ton jack for $70
Aluminum 1.5 ton jack for $70
Steel 6 ton jackstands for $30
Steel 3 ton jackstands for $20
Aluminum 3 ton jackstands for $30

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

I always print them out, and the cashier always marks the barcodes out with a pen so I can't use them again. I wonder if they'd want to mark on my phone.

The barcode and item images are separate, so just saving pictures becomes tedious collage work.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

I like my Rhino ramps. Rubber feet so they don't slide on pavement, never had a tire slip going up or down, light, stackable. The only issue I've had is that they are hard to pry apart after I used them as a seat. I fully understand I should not do this, until my knees start to hurt.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Keep an eye out for Advance Auto sales on Gearwrench stuff. The 5-piece straight-head ratcheting wrench sets regularly go on sale for $15, and the 8-piece angled sets for $30.
I don't know if other parts stores have similar deals.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

How horrendous is the Harbor Freight pancake compressor? I have a $40 coupon. I'm looking for something to fill tires and maybe use a blowgun. Carrying the portable air tank to the gas station is getting old.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

I have some Gearwrench tap and die sets that I like. You can get the handles separately.
http://www.gearwrench.com/cutting-t...e-tool-set.html
http://www.gearwrench.com/cutting-t...ap-adapter.html
http://www.gearwrench.com/cutting-t...ap-adapter.html

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah for my HF digital caliper I have to keep the battery outside of it when it's in its case. Otherwise it's insanely easy for it to get bumped and turn on, then happily drain the battery.

Someone once told me the on/off button only operates the display, and the measuring circuit is always active. I assume he measured it because he took the time to disassemble it and add a switch in series with the battery.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Are there even NPT helicoils?

There looks to be a lot of meat left on the bung. Can it be drilled and tapped to the next largest size? I have no idea how that would affect it's pressure capability.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

And poo poo, I sold my Blitz Rhino Ramps because it would have cost more to ship them than to buy new ones, but I guess the new version of the ramps seem pretty hit or miss? Is this true?

Are you finding actual Blitz products?

Blitz used to make gas cans, then got sued into bankruptcy when too many people decided it was a good idea to set themselves ablaze by pouring gas onto open flames. I think all the company's tooling got scrapped in the liquidation. Then the factory was sold to another company that started making new products under the Rhino Ramps label. I think the distinction is the old company was Blitz USA and the new company is RhinoGear.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

What it most likely means is that blow-mold plastic gas cans will now all be cheaply made in China. It's honestly not that big of a loss when you figure that new ones are required to have spill guaranteed CARB spouts. From now on, I'm only buying OSHA compliant metal cans.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

HF until you find a Fluke that fell off the back of a truck or your employer buys you one.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

sharkytm posted:

Yeah. Even a full-blown short from battery hot to ground will just cook the meter and leads a bit. It's possible to hurt yourself with 12VDC, but it takes a special talent.

And there are few unfused circuits on a car, so the only way to cook the meter would be to connect directly to the battery.
Granted, many circuits are fused much higher than the 10A that an HF meter can handle. Which will go first in a dead short, the meter or the fuse? I don't know. I'd guess the fuse. One day I'll do an experiment when my every "last place I looked" is stocked with a meter, a tape measure, and an LED flashlight.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

SouthsideSaint posted:

Carribeaners are amazing for holding wrenchs together and make it easy to tote.

I use loose leaf ring binders. The 1 inch rings are great for mini ignition wrenches, and 3 inch for everything else.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Walmart isn't on the list but I still got my check.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

1/2" extendable ratchet is $11.99 with coupon code 12325378, expires Sunday. They can enter the code at the register.
I discovered today that a lady at my local HF remembers my address and knows me as "Whiskers".

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is this Gearwrench tap and die set a good buy? I've been trawling ebay and craigslist for older USA made sets, but everything I've found so far either looks pretty clapped out, is missing pieces, or is exorbitantly expensive. Am I correct in assuming that I'm better off skipping the HF sets?

I have HF sets and Gearwrench sets. I think the HF sets are perfectly adequate for chasing threads, and the Gearwrench sets are perfectly adequate for cutting threads. Cutting with the HF sets are painful but possible. Use a lot of cutting lubricant and they work.

The HF taps and dies are ok but the holders are very chintzy.

I like the Gearwrench holders a lot, except the ratcheting handle has the wrong feel to me. The flat part of the handle is perpendicular to the tap. It makes it feel easy to apply downward pressure, which breaks taps. I wish the handles were parallel to the tap.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Harbor Freight has wrench rings
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ings-37074.html

I use large loose leaf binder rings (or small ones for things like tiny distributor wrenches)

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

My mom has complained to me that she does not have a full set of screwdrivers and has asked me to get her one for Christmas. I'd like one that comes in a nice case (I think they get lost when they aren't organized). She likes the classic Craftsman-style clear acetate handles, not big rubber ones. Anyone have a good idea where to get something like that?

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

I've used my HF pancake compressor a lot for filling tires. It works great for that. And if you just want to top a tire up with a few pounds, you can use it like a miniature portable air tank. No need to string hoses and extension cords everywhere. Well worth the $40 I paid.

Looking back I'd get the hotdog one because I think that shape would be slightly better than a pancake.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

QuarkMartial posted:

What's the best thing to use to push a caliper cylinder back in?

I crack the bleeder screw and push them by hand. After scoring a piston against the bore one time, I decided it's not worth it to try to force anything.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Ok. Am I doing something wrong to measure amps, then? I turned it on just now, it shows 00.84A, sitting by itself. Clamped around the cable charging an iPhone, 00.82A. Clamped around headphone cables not plugged into a power source, 00.83A. Putting it in relative zero mode (I.e., zero it with nothing in the clamp) shows 00.00A, then wavers between -00.01A and 00.03A, independent of what's in the clamps (nothing, charge cable, headphone cable).

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't get it.

In addition to what Platystemon said, sometimes there is residual magnetic flux left on the clamp. I'll snap the jaws opened and closed a couple times to knock it off, then rezero.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Xantrex and Eaton Cooper Bussmann are your best bets for not-shittiness.

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

I've had the 20% off coupon work on the website but not in store for certain items before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SNiPER_Magnum
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Any recommendations for a creeper? I don't use them, but I've been asked about them. I have no idea what a good one is, but I think I now have a good idea for a Christmas present.