Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

ease posted:

Have you ever done rear disc brakes? On most foreign cars (not sure about US) you need to push in and rotate at the same time because of the screw type e-brake mechanism.
This was posted some time ago but no-one seems to have given an easy solution - when I did this on an aussie-spec R31 Skyline I found the winder to the scissor jack the car comes with (the style that ends in a T on the side that goes in that jack) fit perfectly into the notches on either side of the piston, and actually made the rears on that car the easiest brake pad change I've ever done.

Oh, and make sure that once you've finished twisting it in that you leave it so the tab on the pad lines up into one of the notches. Also probably best to make sure you don't leave too much room so that it still lines up once you pump the brakes, and to check it's gone together properly when you're done. I say this because the mechanic who had done the last pad change clearly wasn't as careful - the tab ended up holding the pad at an angle, and I only found out a while later when I discovered a very unevenly (and prematurely) worn out set of pads, a disc all grinded up on the inside (the pad looked like it had a fair bit of meat left from the outside edge), and the reason why the handbrake never really worked that well.

Fuzz1111 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Uthor posted:

I plan on getting a set like this when I need to do my brakes:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Tools/Hand_Tools/ES9747/
I think you can borrow these sets from auto parts stores if you need 'em.
Dunno how your rear brakes differ to the ones I mentioned on my old R31 Skyline - because I see attachments there that wouldn't work (the brakes had the normal hollow piston about an inch in diameter with two 1/4 inch notches cut into opposite sides of the face of the piston).

I do see a couple of attachments that would probably work but I'd end up having more or less the same tool (used exactly the same way) as my scissor jack handle. Actually it'd probably worse as there would be less leverage and I sorta needed it for the initial twist on those ~16 year old brakes.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

I'm looking to buy a breaker bar, and while comparing prices I stumbled across this thing advertised to "Multiply your turning torque by up to 8 times with a single hammer blow!". I figured they weren't suggesting smashing the plastic handle to pieces so I went searching for info about it worked, and eventually (after quite a bit of digging) I found that they are sold under various brands (including SP Tools) one of which had this helpful image explaining the operation:

Has anyone ever used anything like this? Are they any good?

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Galler posted:

I have no experience with that particular one but my dad has had one of these types of manual impact drivers for ages and it does work. I would still get a separate breaker bar though.
I have never actually seen a manual impact in person, but it's now pretty easy to see the inspiration for the tool I posted.

MRC48B posted:

...I guess if you have room to swing the hammer, and have room in your toolbox for both that thing and the hammer, it's p. nifty.
Yeah the "room to swing a hammer" is what makes this thing a bit of a gimmick because if you have room for it, and room to swing a hammer, then how in gently caress do you not have room for an electric/air impact?

If the mechanism doesn't get in the way of using it as a regular breaker (including putting more than 400Nm through it the old fashioned cheater-pipe way) then I could see "hammer for torque boost" being a nice feature to have on occasion, but I'm guessing the mechanism probably does get in the way and/or make for a weaker tool in general.

InitialDave posted:

If possible, a breaker bar with the female side of the hinge joint on the socket side, and the male on the handle side, is slightly better - if it snaps, it's usually at the female side's ears, so cheaper to replace that way, but it's a fractional difference in terms of what you should buy.
I was wondering about which way to go with this (I had guessed the other way, because it looks like the torque is being applied to a smaller area of the tool). Thanks for the tip.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

So that's what those not-quite-phillips bit's are - odd that you are having trouble finding them, I've got some in every set of screwdriver bits I own (they might be more popular here in Australia though).

In the process of looking up those bit's I skimmed through wiki's list of screw drives. One thing I've never understood is companies trying to prevent product repair via obscure screw drive types, because I've never come across a single one that couldn't be defeated via a flathead, a crap driver with a similar (and soft) enough head to deform into the right shape when hammered into the screw, or worst case, a crap driver modified with a bench grinder and/or dremel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

melon cat posted:

Is an angle grinder overkill for this?
Oh boy yes, enjoy your pieces of broken mirro... Wait this picture looks familiar...

melon cat posted:

I want to remove the mirror in our bathroom. But it seems like the metal clips fastening it to the wall have seized up.

What's the best cutting tool that will help me remove these fasteners? Would a Dremel tool work?
Assuming that it really can't be slid out from any direction, I'd try bending the brackets outward to free the mirror (be ready to catch it if one just breaks away instead).

[edit]
If you can't bend them by hand, here's an option:

Fuzz1111 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 18, 2014