Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, I don't recall getting a tool with the last clutch I bought, maybe it's not a common thing here?

My choices seem to be a screw-together taper seat type, or a shaft-and-spacers kit type. I was probably going to go for a cheap iteration of the latter.

I always thought the best alignment tool was the end of the input shaft cut off a trashed gearbox, but that's not an option for me in this instance (we're swapping engines on my mate's Audi).

When we did the clutch on my 1989 Citroen ax my uncle turned a cheesy alignment tool out of a bit of wood. Not sure if that helps u, but I guess its an option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Splizwarf posted:

I can confirm the HF ones are loving garbage; unfortunately Craftsman/Husky/Kobalt didn't turn out any better when I needed flare wrenches. :(

This motherfucker, though:

is the ideal solution (unless the space is too cramped).

I asked about these at my local hardware store. They had never heard of it before so I got one off Amazon it owns & gently caress local business.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I got one of these knives and it think it's pretty cool. Really sharp too. As you can see it isn't locking. I got the plastic handle though

http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_category=26&controller=category

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

My Lil Parachute posted:

I see your Wilton, and raise you an Australian Dawn Offset Vice

Please excuse terrible iPhone photography.

:gizz:

e: probably easy enough with modern manufacturing to mass produce really nice vises, but lovely ones probably make more money

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

bolind posted:

Yet they still don’t have an angle impact like the rest.

They do though?

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XLT01Z

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I recently bought a fourth drill/driver, a bosch 12V flexiclick set. I would highly recommend it, it's nice and compact and works great. I don't think my other drills / impact driver will be getting much use now.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/12v-max-drill-drivers-gsr12v-140fcb22-187544-p/

I actually find the bare tool the most useful, no need to fiddle around to change bits as it is just a magnet job. Comes with the locking attachment though if you need it. Only downside so far is the elastic in the bag thing is pretty chintzy. One of them is starting to unravel already. You can cram a lot of extra poo poo in there alongside the drill parts so overall I do like the bag despite its failings.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Double posting this here and in HCH tools thread to get more exposure to people that might only post in one forum or the other.

Looking for a set of Carbide burrs to use in my die grinder. I don't want, and probably don't need the most expensive poo poo ever, but whats a decent brand that won't break the bank for a set of 4-5 burrs of varying designs (ball, cylinder, taper etc). Is something like that available in the sub 100$ CDN range?
Using these for shaping/grinding steel. Typically mild steel not tool steel, or hardened or anything like that.

One I got on aliexpress has been good so far, hasn't seen heavy use though. Could be worth getting some if the price is right (and they ever show up)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

PSA to get yourself a "Tack Lifter" if you don't have one.

They are very cheap so you can use them like you would a rental car. Very useful as a little prybar / scraper / nail puller / strange offset chisel etc

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Most countries have a switch on the receptacle too which would come in handy in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Lathespin.gif posted:

I've got an odd one here, and maybe one of you wrenchbenders can help? I'm looking for a 15mm x 18mm box wrench, yeah that's a weird as hell combo but that's what Bafang used for this e-bike on the front & rear axle nuts. It'd be real nice to just need one wrench in the roadside tube/tire repair kit, and there isn't really room to get an open spanner or crescent wrench on the front nuts without chewing up the fork, either.

The closest thing I've found so far are these sweet https://runwell.jp/product/ wrenches, but nearest size seems to be 10 x 15, or the usual 14 x 15, etc.

Please tell me matco or snapon or anyone at all sells, or used to sell one? Otherwise I guess it's making a handle for a pair of turned down sockets and firing up the brazing setup, or trying to mill one out of 17-4 or 4140 or something on some rainy day.

I got this crows foot one in 17-19 for my ebike from aliexpress, it is actually quite a nice wrench. I think I was confused about the nut size in the end though and I it came out to be 3 or more different sizes between front and back. Not sure if it's an issue for you but might be a cable going into the axle which is why I got crow's foot instead of a ring. Good luck finding 15-18 though, seems uncommon.

You could try a set like this for compactness