Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I thought I'd pimp our latest purchase, a 40" long, 3/4" drive breaker bar.

That is a quarter for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

It's...it's beautiful.

If you encounter a bolt that somehow can't be removed with that beast you can always take your frustration out by beating someone to death with it.

I don't even call it a breaker bar. I call it a murder bar.

It's meant to remove the 36mm crankshaft bolt on new GM 6.0 or 6.6 engines (I can't remember). I gotta wonder what the torque spec on those is.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Had to borrow my dad's drill.

Well, it wasn't really his, but his late grandfather's, so I was using my great-grandpa's drill. From 1956.

Needless to say, they don't make them like they used to.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Hypnolobster posted:

Oh kickass. What make is it?

Black and Decker. And yeah, the thing has so much torque I was almost scared to death to use it. Also, it smells like old people.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Kind of a crosspost from the BMW thread, but we got this in at work today:

I'll definitely be using it to remove my E36's mechanical fan nut, which happens to be a 32mm. Lord help me if I forget its reverse-threaded, though!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I remembered that I had 31k worth of 'thankyou' points.

Just got one of these for free and I still have 10k points left

Yeah its not USB-compatible but my computer has the appropriate port so I'm happy

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

In my experience, Harbor Freight tools are built cheap, but in most cases are still 'good enough' for the shadetree mechanic.

Actually my shop gets a lot of our tools from Harbor Freight, too, though I have seen a number get broken. I wouldn't get sockets or spanners from HF but for a lot of other things you really can't go wrong with their prices.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

My Equus 3130 came today! Been playing around with it, but I can't do much until I get an RS232-USB cable so I can make graphs and stuff on my computer.

My car has no DTCs stored at all (didn't think it did, but there are some that won't immediately turn the CEL on) and the green light came on and said it would pass emissions like it was nothing. Not bad for a 180k mile car.

I can't even imagine how much I'll save on diagnostics using this.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Holy crap I'm stopping at True Value this week. My wife works next door to one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mooecow posted:

Keep in mind that True Value stores are independently owned and operated. Unless the store is owned by the same person, they probably won't have the same specials/clearance sales.

Yeah they didn't have poo poo.

I really need to go to Harbor Freight this weekend, they always have cheap poo poo sitting out front. And I have $60 worth of gift cards.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

RealKyleH posted:

I do almost all autocad as they didnt want to or need to buy me a seat of Inventor >. That aside, I used SolidWorks/CAM works quite a bit in machinist school. I actually just heard of Pro-E last week, you take a class on it in college but im not there yet.

I use Solidworks daily at work. It's fantastic in the sense that it can import/export a ridiculous amount of formats, but it is quite limited in certain areas. I get frustrated fairly often at it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Stopped at Harbor Freight on my way home today. I'm doing some suspension work pretty soon and wanted some 1/2" drive tools in case I had stubborn bolts. I came back happy:

25" long 1/2" drive breaker bar. $11.99 on sale

21 piece 1/2" drive socket set, $29.99 on sale

(I'm not so sure about that push-button ratchet, but that's not why I bought the set anyway. I think of it as a socket set that comes with a free ratchet!)

Then I picked up some stuff for around the house, so I don't have to run out and get my tools out of my trunk all the time.

Simple little universal screwdriver, $1.49 on clearance (holy poo poo!)

Lockjaw needle nose pliers, $4.29 regular price (this was the only size they had in stock I like to use these to open soy sauce, those drat caps always loving seal shut)

Total cost was $51.10 after taxes. I'd say I made out alright.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sockington posted:

Only 1/2" ?

3/4"

(We have a number of them at work - 3/4" drive, 40" long)

(and I have seen them broken.)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dv6speed posted:

That's why they make pipe, and lifetime tool warranties.

That new breaker bar I bought says specifically not to use an extension to the length.

yeah right like I'm going to listen to that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Harbor Freight has a good electric 1/2 inch impact for under $40 if they are close to you. They are surprisingly durable,

Really? I like this... how powerful is it? I can see myself needing one of those at some point.

I see an emergency 12V one for $30, and a Chicago brand one for $70... though really, that price is not bad either. Is that the durable one you speak of?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 26, 2010

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

So, does anybody know where I could find a 1/2" drive, 6-point 22mm swivel socket?

I need the swivel to be on the socket, I don't have the room for an adapter. I need about .25" more.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

That looks like what I need, but where can I get that? It doesn't look like that one's available online.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I picked this set up at HF for like $14. The single wrench I needed at Sears was $16. Hopefully it does the trick, if not, I'll have to get that proto tool and special-order it.

I need these anyway though, my biggest metric wrench was a 14mm previously.

edit: I also use the standard Craftsman jackstands. Work just fine for me, always have. I used to have four, but then my father-in-law stole two of them when they left for Texas, now I only have two. But they work fine!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

havelock posted:

I needed a 20mm for the top of my M3s front strut and that same set got my hopes up and then dashed them.

I had to order the $16 single from Sears (and put the stupid front suspension back on the car and wait a week for the wrench to arrive).

Did it break or just not work some other way?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

havelock posted:

There isn't a 20mm in that set. I think it goes 18/19 and then 22/23

Should have been more specific, sorry.

I was happy to come across a set with lots of wrenches in it and then I noticed it didn't have what I needed.

Oh OK I should be good then since I need a 22mm and it came with a 20/22. Or maybe it was a 22/24. I dunno, either way, I just hope I have enough room for it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I...I love your new custom title.

RADL would make an excellent AI gang tag.

I like it better than his previous one, that's for sure.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crosspost from the BMW thread:

Well, I was finally going to replace my diff fluid last night, only to find out my 14mm hex socket is *way* too long to fit between the spare tire well and the fill plug.

Anybody know where I can get a cheap 14mm allen key? I know Sears has one, but it's like $18 just for the one. I didn't see anything on Harbor Freight's website.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a set of allen (hexagon) "sockets" at HF. It included 14mm, which was the size I needed to separate the spindle from the backing plate on my 1995 Lexus SC400.

They weren't the whole L-shaped allen wrenches, just a set of socket-like tools that fit onto a 1/2" drive ratchet or impact gun or whatever.

I bought a set at autozone that were this, but the problem is for whatever reason they're like three inches long. I can't get the socket itself where I need to, let alone the socket and a ratchet.

I'd love to grind it down but I don't have the means.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I'm almost certain Wire Design has these as we use AMP/TYCP connectors regularly and we buy harnesses from them. They're local to us, but might be worth a shot if you have trouble finding them elsewhere.

Also, does Harbor Freight sell automotive ramps? My Rhino Ramps are starting to crack pretty badly and I don't really want to DIE so I think I'd better replace them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

Rhinos have treated me a lot better than cheap metal ramps, at least. The metal ones tend to slide on the garage floor.

My Rhino ramps slide all over garage floors. I usually only use them outside. I think I'd prefer metal ones for my new set, unless they're significantly more expensive.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Picked up those Walmart ramps. Worked pretty good. They were about $40.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

Crosspost from the BMW thread:

Well, I was finally going to replace my diff fluid last night, only to find out my 14mm hex socket is *way* too long to fit between the spare tire well and the fill plug.

Anybody know where I can get a cheap 14mm allen key? I know Sears has one, but it's like $18 just for the one. I didn't see anything on Harbor Freight's website.

Followup:

Harbor Freight 1/2 drive serp belt tool (which luckily I had lying around) and a sawed-off 14mm allen.

Worked like a charm.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Alright. I need a cheap drill. I don't own one. I'm sick of borrowing my dad's 50-year old one (as awesome as it is).

The main reason I plan on getting one is so I can use my 3M restoration kit. According to the instructions, I need a drill capable of 1200-1600 RPM. Looking at the cordless ones at Harbor Freight, it seems like to get that kind of speed I need corded.

So: Does it really need to spin at that speed?

If so, I'll probably get this. Otherwise I suppose I'll get this.

(I own one of these but it's only capable of 180 rpm and I'm assuming is totally not suited to the job.)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 29, 2010

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

angryhampster posted:

You could just wet sand and then follow up with rubbing compound. Did it on my old Jeep without a drill. Turned out great.

I've already got the kit (had it for awhile actually, I'm a lazy motherfucker). I've seen awesome results from other people using it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

Alright. I need a cheap drill. I don't own one. I'm sick of borrowing my dad's 50-year old one (as awesome as it is).

The main reason I plan on getting one is so I can use my 3M restoration kit. According to the instructions, I need a drill capable of 1200-1600 RPM. Looking at the cordless ones at Harbor Freight, it seems like to get that kind of speed I need corded.

So: Does it really need to spin at that speed?

If so, I'll probably get this. Otherwise I suppose I'll get this.

(I own one of these but it's only capable of 180 rpm and I'm assuming is totally not suited to the job.)

Anybody have an answer to this?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

grover posted:

Regarding those two particular drills for other future projects... I wouldn't expect much out of them. The $20 cordless has a clutch that will prevent you from overdriving screws, which is nice. The corded will probably work well as a light-duty drill, but will not be so great at driving screws. (You've got your cordless screwdriver for that, I suppose.) Neither will be up to the task of boring large holes through hardwood, powering hole saws, etc. Keyless chucks like both have are great for light duty. For $15-20, they're not exactly long-term investments; you might as well treat them as throwaways. If it works for you after this project, great, if not, eh. I've gotten my money's worth out of a great many throwaway power tools like this.

drat I was afraid of that. On the plus side I don't really have a lot of heavy-duty things to drill through. I think I'll pick up the cordless drill and hope for the best.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

grover posted:

Yeah, I should have prewarned that, too. Consider that $15 drill a disposable tool that MIGHT last you this one project, but is not an investment. Something an apartment dweller who needs to hang a shelf might buy. The battery will die frustratingly quickly on more involved projects, and it won't have the torque for bigger screws; it's not a good drill to use with that buffing kit- get a corded drill. $30 will buy you a decent corded drill that will serve you for years.

Man, that sucks. What $30 corded drill would you recommend?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

grover posted:

If ALL you want to do is this headlight job, that $15 corded drill you linked would be fine. You could use it for light projects, and can always step up to something better if you have some new project and it's just not up to the task. I've done this before, too; $15 angle grinder, for instance- bought it for one project, finished it, and it's got some issues but still grinds, so I'm still using it

Hmm. Thing is, I don't really need a heavy-duty drill right now. I just don't want to get something that's complete crap. If the $20 cordless one is crap I suppose I might get the $15 one. But, if there was a much better quality $30 one that would last significantly longer I'd definitely go that route. I don't want to spend much more than that, though. I won't use it enough yet to justify it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

oxbrain posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...75274154&sr=8-1

I have the older version of this drill and it's been my go to drill for over a decade now.

I think that I like this quite a bit. I'm glad you posted this, I might get this...

Black88GTA posted:

used tool place

...Unless you tell me more about these used tool places. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen one around here. Do standard pawn shops have tools?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Alright. Slight change of plans. I can get any of the following drills for free using some reward points I've accumulated.

Black and Decker cordless

Kawasaki corded

Black and Decker corded

Denali cordless hammer drill without battery (I could pick up a battery and charger too I think)

I'm partial to the Kawasaki just because it'll use up almost all of my points (I'm trying to get rid of them). Thoughts? Suggestions?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 31, 2010

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

That Kawasaki clearly has a cord. And the CH one will depend on how good your compressor setup is.

do'h. I knew it had a cord. Not sure why I put cordless.

And I took the CH one off, I didn't look close enough at it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

grover posted:

Anyone know of any super-thin 3/8" ratchets or breaker bars?

Would this work? The real long one is basically a flat piece of steel with a 3/8" nub on the one end. The shorter one is 1/2" drive. Came in handy for me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I had a Harbor Freight gift card, and had to buy some cheap electrical items when I came across this amp clamp. The price was $10 and I've always wanted an amp clamp. We used Flukes at my previous job and they were awesome (though expensive).

However, upon reading the manual, it seems it's just a glorified multimeter. The clamp portion can apparently only measure AC voltage, which isn't what I want it for (automotive purposes). Do only the more expensive clamps measure DC?

(Yeah I know not to expect much from Harbor Freight, but it's not exactly something I would use often. Still, I knew it was too good of a price to be a real amp clamp)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 15, 2011

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I used up my gift card at Harbor Freight yesterday and got one of their new Pittsburg Pro 3/8" ratchets.

I loving love the feel of this thing, and it feels much higher quality than my craftsman ratchet (though that one's a bit longer).

I'm not used to their stuff feeling like such high quality... does anybody else have any real-life experience with these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

Oh man, I wish I could go to Harbor Freight for the first time again. It's like stepping in to Toys R Us for the first time.

I have to be real careful when I'm in there. Seriously, it's glorious. I could spend thousands.