Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Easy. My Tekton impact sockets. They have gotten me out of so many jams that if they were to break tomorrow they wouldn't owe me a dime. I used to strip so much rusted garbage with my cheapo True Value house brand sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

My Viair tire inflator has been a champ so far. I always carry it in the trunk for emergency tire plugotomies but I also use it regularly for autox. Inflates quickly, has a pretty decent pressure gauge, and seems to be built very well. They even have my pump on air tank duty on some models. The only downside is the unit gets very hot when inflating tires, you have to be very careful where you hold it afterwards. The stem connector is a threaded piece. Very low profile.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Sadi posted:

^^^ in my opinion for a home compressor to be useful you need at least 5-10 CFM at 90PSI to run the most handy tools like a die grinder. So unless you're going big I don't see a lot of value. My 20 gallon compressor can hardly run a 3/8 impact well enough to remove 4 lugs in one duty cycle.

I should have been more specific. I'm just looking for the chuck on the end of an air line. I typically bring a tank or a 120v compressor to events. Mostly because a 12v compressor sucks rear end for taking rallycross tires to 40 PSI.

Is this something along the lines of what you want?

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressu.../dp/B000FIAVKG/

It's not a quick connect, but you can easily adapt to make it one.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Dremels are lifesavers if you need to cut something out of an engine bay. That being said, I might abuse mine a little, considering. *reminisces cutting out an entire exhaust system.*

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

boxen posted:

Is variable speed actually useful, though?

For grinding and polishing, absolutely. For cutting off poo poo, not really. The one I have is a single speed. I occasionally wished I had the multispeed, but not often enough to go out and actually get one. The way I figure it, I can deal with a single speed Dremel until I can get shop air and get a proper die/pencil grinder.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

If ultimateforce still posts round these parts, you could ask him. He's the resident pro.

I just started learning how to weld. I found a guy who works at a machine shop who will rent his time out to teach people for a nominal fee. He has 35 years of experience and the tricks he has shown me are truly eye opening. I plan on taking a one year course recognized by the AWS in the fall. I'm just using this time to wet my ears a little. Try and find someone who might set up a deal like that. I have also heard apprenticeships are a good way to learn as well. I'm already learning stainless steel and I'm on hour 5!

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 18, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

So I'm moving out of my parents house into my own apartment. There is no garage at the new place and I have a garage full of tool's n' poo poo at my parent's place. It can't stay there. I don't want to list literally everything out, but the main bit is a 5 piece Dewalt power tool set, floor jack and stands, a small stick welder, and a completely full 26" Harbor Freight tool box.

Does anyone have experience downsizing? What the heck should I do?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

The lease is for a year. The work I moved there for is a 2 year contract position and could become permanent.

I'd like to keep as much as I can but I'm having trouble prioritizing what to keep, what to sell. Luckily I don't have anything crazy like an engine hoist or stand.

The welder is going to have to go. The floor jack I have is great and I use it all the time, but it's also the HF 2.5 ton steel jack so it doesn't get much larger or heavier. I'll probably get a smaller aluminum one.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

The perfect spider solution.

I might be thinking of something else, but I thought they managed to remove the flammable chemistry out of WD-40 a few years back.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

I've had my 44" HF tool box for 2 years now without issue. My poor thing is easily overloaded and it's been a champ. I've even moved with it once and it survived the trip just fine.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Popping in to provide a heads up, HF strap wrenches are not very good. I stripped the cabling out of them trying to hold a shock piston in place while tightening the top screw to 30ft*lbs.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Disassembling that box in the back does not count as opening it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Astonishing Wang posted:

Creepers are almost completely useless to me with no air tools. Any torque at all spins me under the jeep and I have to brace against a tire or something.

This imagery turns into slapstick very quickly in my head.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

I need a good tire gauge recommendation. I autocross my car regularly and want to start keeping track of pressures before and after runs. I currently just use my Viair air compressor but it's a screw type connection and I was hoping for something a little smaller, more accurate, and quicker. Under $50 please.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Small is good. I can't carry a ton of stuff while I'm on course. Basically it has to fit in a pocket or a center console as I want to catch the tires while they're still hot.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

That's a pretty neat idea. Do you have any storage for the hose too? I've got a Viair compressor for autox but I cant have anything loose in the car for tech inspection.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Amazon's Gold Box Deals include a few Irwin tools too.

https://www.amazon.com/b?rh=i%3Atoo...ode=11920106011

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

The portable air solution is easy. Get a CO2 tank and a regulator like one of these:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Porta...gulator/1040295

CO2s vapor pressure is something like 1800psi iirc at room temperature. It sits in the bottle as a liquid which means you can hold a lot more of it than air.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Could I bother this thread to post what your garage workbenches look like? I'm trying to figure out a set up and oh god I don't know what I'm doing.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

A media blast would work very well for rust/paint. It's a pretty small part so the cost would be minimal.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

What exactly is taking the bending load by it being off center like that?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

A chemical process would be my bet. I used to wire wheel paint off of poo poo when the media blaster wouldn't work, it was a paint in the rear end and eat up wheels like crazy. I used to go through about 20 a week.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Oh poo poo I have a drawer full of receipts. Not sure if they're still readable or not after a few years though. I only keep them because I've gotten crap for trying to return an item with a life time warranty without proof I bought it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Sounds worth it to me, what would that end up being hourly, like $100/hr?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Deeters posted:

Are there any good small compressors that don't come with a tank? I already have a ~5 gallon tank, but I'm tired of mooching off friends' compressors or trying to use the gas station's.

This Black & Decker seemed neat since it can run off 12v and AC.

XINCOL AC110V/220V to DC12V 30A 360W Switched Mode Switching Power Supply (SMPS) Transformer Driver Adapter for LED Strip Light

Plus

Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor

Plus

Viair 90111 Pressure Switch with Relay

Plus

Viair 92175 175 PSI Safety Valve with 1/4" NPT

Equals

VIAIR 150 PSI High-Flow Air Source Kit

Without the tank but with an optional 120V in.

Edit: Not the most cost effective solution I'm sure, but they're all good components. It would last a really long time.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 14, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

I need a tire rack. The wall mount ones seem like a terrible idea because every example I've seen has the rack mounted high where it would be a pain in the rear end to get them there with the back problems I have. Does anyone make a cart on wheels I could roll around? Needs to hold 8 tires.

I saw this but the ratings are meh.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JIQJ2O...a_alObzbFEA00Q8

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Seconding the harbor freight set. Super cheap and get the job done.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Seconding Viair stuff. I use them for autocross so they see pretty regular use. Decently quiet compared to the emergency roadside inflators as well.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Seminal Flu posted:

It's not done, but there's definitely progress in the restoration of this vise:

Definitely take broader strokes with the brush or pen in your lettering. It looks anemic!

But definitely keep posting about it. I need a vise and wish I came across one of those suckers.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Has anyone seen any good socket deals? Impact or otherwise? My set blows chunks but they just won't break and the one that do I can exchange so I'm eternally stuck with lovely sockets.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

I'm sure everyone is aware of the massive tool sale occuring on Amazon. I need new sockets and both offerings from Gearwrench and Tekton look enticing. Which brand would you go for if you had to pick one? Specifically I am looking for non deep well sockets in 1/4 and 3/8 drive, inch and metric.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

mod sassinator posted:

I've never regretted spending some money on good wire strippers. It will save you so much trouble in the long run.

I'm some sort of horrible squirrel man and strip wires with my teeth. Note I don't strip wires very often, though.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 14, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'd like to see you do coax.

Okay I actually have a tool for that. But I have done 4 gauge.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Dial caliper superiority.

I've had a 6 inch Mitutoyo dial caliper for about 8 years and it still feels as good as the day I got it. I might just get it serviced for giggles.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Gonna second the 44". Really good. Lost my dang keys though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

"Is that blood taste the bolt or me?"

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Y'all need to learn about material creep. Yes all materials do it and yes they can be compensated for. Most things that have creep factored in are stuff near their melting point in extremely high stress environments like nuclear reactors, hot sections of jet engines, and rocketry components. Mechanical design of springs also considers life cycles. These are generally measured in the 10,000s, 100,000s, millions and can even be designed for infinite life without fatigue.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Haha when I asked for a #14 lens Airgas opened by telling me they don't sell them for the eclipse. I simply said it was for government contract work and I couldn't tell them what it was for. They were sold out anyways. Like fuckers couldn't open with that information instead?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

I use a blackvue dr650s-2ch. Hides behind the profile of the mirror, has a dedicated rear view camera, 1080p (front only), good night imaging, cloud and wifi support, and comes with a decently working phone app. The only particularly bad think I've noticed is that it constantly runs hot to the touch. I think it corrupted one of my memory cards. But I also think it does that to keep the windshield defrosted for continuous clear vision. Also has support for a motion sensitive and accelerometer sensitive parking mode so it doesn't ruin the battery. There are cheaper units but I haven't heard of one that's actually better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

Chiming in to echo bucket chat. I was able to do most of an engine rebuild with one.

Like they don't look like they hold a lot but it just seems to organically grow pockets.

«4 »