Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Question for professionals - who here has starting switching over their air tools to cordless? I'm an autobody tech so my main air tools are mainly my ratchet, drill, air hammer, impact, die grinder, and cut off wheel. I was talking to another tech who had switched over and loved it. He said he saved a lot of time not loving around with an air hose and could easily bring tools home from work and not have to worry about maintaining an air compressor and such, or oiling his tools, etc. Said he's never had to worry about not having enough torque either. Batteries charge in an hour and last fairly long and if you ever have an issue with one tool running out of juice you could just get a second battery on standby and charge the other while using it.

I think I'll probably try it out myself, but I'd love to hear from anyone else who's done it too and if they've had any issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

944 posted:

I love my 3/8" air ratchet. I use it all the time. I'm not sure there really is a cordless replacement to it.

But even most of what I do with a 1/2" impact can be done with a cordless now. I didn't believe it, until a friend with some dinky looking Makita cordless impact outran my air impact. Ridiculous.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Category.aspx-am_en-30842

The 3/8 cordless ratchet from Ingersoll Rand has 70lbs of torque, which is equivalent to most 1/2. They also have a 1/4 one too. They have an impact capable of putting out 360lb and weighs only 6 pounds WITH the battery. That's pretty impressive. Pretty much, their entire lineup would replace most of my tools except my air hammer, but I can find other solutions for that from other companies like DeWalt I think. I'll have to choose very carefully though, because I'll want something that doesn't vibrate much or make a poo poo ton of noise.