Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Since this is turning into a Harbor Freight tool review thread, I was wondering about their 48" imitation hi-lift farm jack for $29.99. I need to raise the front end of my vehicle farther than my crappy Sears jack allows. Just how unstable are these things? I was thinking about using one in lieu of an hoist for an engine swap in the next few weeks. The jack point is already at the radiator support and so I was thinking about using one of these to lift the radiator support to jack the car up to about 30 inches and then use jack stands on the sides. Would a conventional hydraulic jack be more prudent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Does anyone have a recommendation for a spring compressor that can handle tightly spaced coils? I have a Craftsman spring compressor that works well for the well spaced springs found in Macpherson struts but it is unable to handle springs found in older model Hondas as the clamping mechanism is too thick. The cheaper, the better as long as it does not pose a safety risk (e.g. Harbor Freight's $10 sticks of death).

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Have you tried renting AutoZone's spring compressors? They might work, and if they don't you're only out the time it takes to get there and back.

I haven't tried them as I heard a few reports stating that they would not work. Good idea though.

After digging around, it looks like this is the design that would work best:

I especially like how it places the threaded rod a distance away from the coil. The Craftsman I have always ends up so close to the coil that I have to use an open ended wrench to tighten them. The process takes nearly forever to complete.