Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

$60 yard sale score.

Recommendations for 1/2 airline? I plan on piping with galv down to my garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would just use two floor jacks & unload the spring after removing the nuts. Never used a spring compressor in thirty years.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kaniff posted:

I can't quite visualize how this works. Can you elaborate?

Similar to above: I raise the body so the wheel is hanging. Remove the wheel.

Use a smaller jack under the strut (or lower control arm on my car) to compress the spring.

Remove the tower bolts/top retainer (pop the lower ball joint on non-strut)

Lower the small jack to unload.

Installation is the reverse order of removal.

The difference in using two jacks is better pinpoint guidance/control when reloading the spring.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm looking for a recommendation for an air impact wrench. Air supply is not an issue (see my compressor on page 8); the C-H gun I bought years ago never seems to supply more than about 20-lbs of torque on the highest setting & can't loosen a lug nut for poo poo. I have ruled out a kinked hose & am running 125-psi through. It annoyed me as I'm rebuilding brakes on my Bonneville today.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mooecow posted:

Do anyone have experience with Harbor Freights engine stands? I am looking at their 1000 lbs. stand since the Chevy 216 I have weights about 700 lbs max.

Here is a link to the stand:

Engine Stand

For what it's worth I have a complete Pontiac 389 attached to one of those; it's been on there for about seven years. Looks like it's sagging a bit, but not much. I wouldn't dare try to do any work on the motor on that stand, though. According to my Pontiac shop manual, the '66 Y-code weighs in at about 700-lbs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

oxbrain posted:

Even if you could manage to balance all 3000 lbs of car on one jackstand you still wouldn't be hitting the 4000 lb rating. They'll be fine.

Don't try to balance your whole car on any less than three jack stands.

Seconding: check his avatar for results.

(edit) one of my favorites

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Suniikaa posted:

Or you can just be like me and jam so much poo poo in your toolbox, nothing slides around and the drawers barely close :v:

Came to post this, now can't find the picture of my toolbox.

I really should get a bigger one, but I have to be able to lug it into the trunk for car shows as insurance against the car breaking down/something breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PitViper posted:

The solution, of course, is a big box for the garage, and a portable tool kit for emergencies. I doubt I need air tools, engine rebuild tools, or all the power tools at a show, but a ratchet set, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc would all be handy.

I have all that poo poo in a rolling box...I am referring to the stuff you listed, needed in case the beastie stubs her toe.

InitialDave posted:

Says a lot about AI that we have bug-out bag toolkits...

The combined cost of the first ten cars I bought, between 1977 and 1988, did not exceed $6500. I got pretty good at spontaneous roadside repairs and learned what all I need to carry to get my rear end home.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 19, 2011