Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I've got a question about paint guns:

Are the cheapo all-in-one HVLP systems that you see popping up any good for infrequent DIY spraypainting? Like this one, for instance.

I'd love to buy an actual compressor/paint gun, but don't really have the space to store one of the proper size for spraypainting.

edit for clarification.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

grover posted:

I Want To Believe this poo poo will get cheap and common soon, but there's gotta be some valid reason they're charging over $1k for a 0.003 megapixel camera...

I've got an industrial FLIR on my desk right now, waiting to be integrated into our software suite. $12,000 for 320x240. These things are cool toys and probably very useful in the right circumstances but that's a shitload of money whichever way you put it. Just hope I don't spill coffee on it :ohdear:.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

blargle posted:

I'm guessing those 3 ton $29 jack stands on HF's site are crap.

They look exactly the same as the cheapo Machine Mart jackstands which are sturdy enough. The ones to avoid are the stands with the round stamped metal support, instead of a nice solid one like these have. It's nice to get ones with a properly welded base - I don't know if these have that.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 12, 2011

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Lowclock posted:

combined tools rock

They're nice when gimmicky, too. I had to buy this thing when I saw it in a shop and am constantly tempted to buy more, just in case I lose the one I already have (and never use for anything, be it hammering or beer-opening)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

grover posted:

And a couple other random shots:

The higher resolution one I've got laying about here at work is nice to play with (even though I've only ever used it to integrate into our software packages). They're cool tools and I hope they do come down in price.

Thermal imaging shows goatees are officially cool :cheers:.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

spog posted:

I've heard this from other people too: the Halfords Pro stuff seems to get a good rep and the lifetime guarantee actually works. (If you break it, just take it back to the shop and they instantly exchange it)

I'm slightly against this particular set as it has the little torx bits and I always find them a bit fiddly, whereas the others have the socket type torx bits. (Plus, my local branch is out of stock for 10 days)

Another vote for the Halfords Pro stuff. If you can wait until they go on sale (which seems to be twice a year or so), it's very affordable as well (I've got the big sockets-only set and the larger version of the set you were looking at - both have been fantastic).

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Nothing more annoying than having to wait for your tank to refill so that you can get that last suspension bolt out. I always end up impatient and trying again way too soon - TA TA TA TA TA.. TA... TA..... :(.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Lord Gaga posted:

I cant think of a reason to ever do stick.

The buzzy noise when the electrode gets stuck is kinda cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Motronic posted:

That is not relevant, no matter how many people think it is so.

A click type torque wrench pushes a ball into a detent under spring pressure. The higher the pressure, the harder it is to slip the ball out of the detent.

So unless someone wants to argue that springs wear from be compressed rather than use (which is a popular misconception on its own, leading to the "always unload your magazines" type "wisdom"), there is no reason to unload a torque wrench when storing it. In fact, it can be argued that it wears the spring more and causes it to lose calibration faster when you always unload it.

I don't care what your grandpaw said. This is early college level materials science. Take one apart and you'll see and understand.

So what's best practice, or doesn't it matter what you do? All three of my different makes of torque wrenches say to leave them loaded just a bit above the minimum for storage so that's what I've been doing..