Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I need to have the aluminum jack concept explained to me. Is this mainly for transport to track days or do people use these at home? Are they low=profile? To jack up the front end of my MS3 I need a fairly low-profile jack.

Much love for Harbor Freight. Most stuff is adequate, but the sockets and wrenches are drat near as good as Craftsman with as good a warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

SkunkTeeth posted:

Don't they contain mercury AND lead?

Mercury and leaded glass. Your local landfill/recycling station will usually accept them without a fee. Stop throwing them away.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

oxbrain posted:

They're more cumbersome than normal ratchets and it's much too easy to break or strip threads. I used mine a couple times, then put it away and haven't touched it since.

They're really handy for a few applications like removing transmission pans and valve covers where there is a lot of low-torque repetition, but that's about it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I have a request - I'm looking for a tool to cut irregular shapes out of an ABS air box for a project I'm starting. I can't use a jigsaw because very little of it is flat enough for the base to sit on and a Dremel would probably clog from the melting plastic.
Any suggestions?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

I want this clock. And now its on sale!

Only legitimate use for fake calipers.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I came in here to say the exact same thing. Weld two nuts together (the larger, the better), lock them in a vise, and put your beam on one side, your clicker on the other. Set the clicker at 20ft-lbs, and watch the beam scale as you push them against one another. Repeat again at 40, 60, and 100 ft-lbs.

Why not just buy a beam style and be done with it?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Honestly, Harbor Freight stuff is quite good if you're just looking for simple hand tools and the warranty is as good as Sears.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

Bosch 10.5V lithium ion impact driver for $12 at lowes! I guess they "updated" it to say 12v on the -2 version, so its 10.8v nominal 12v peak.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=122491-353-T101BF&lpage=none

Lowes posted:

The page you requested cannot be found.

Click here to visit our homepage.

This error has been automatically logged and will be corrected as soon as possible.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

sharkytm posted:

It won't run that much first of all, and I'll install a vent and a fan if its an issue.

Alternately, I could save up and buy a 220v industrial compressor and mount it wherever.

Water-cool that bitch.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

hippynerd posted:

Real nerds use Flourinert

So. Goddamn. Sexy.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Demie posted:

12v battery charger - It charges my car battery, but there's no auto-shutoff so you have to babysit it. It charged my battery far past 100% because I forgot to check on it.

I have this same charger and it's been pretty reliable so far. Two things come to mind when reading the specs:

6-8 hour charge time

* One charger handles all your automotive, RV and small engine batteries
* Automatically switches to trickle charge mode after battery is fully charged
* 2 amp slow charge
* Charges 12 volt batteries in 6 - 8 hours
* 6-1/2 ft. long battery leads
* 6-1/2 ft. long AC power cord
* Equipped with ampmeter and self-resetting circuit breaker
* Auto shutoff in 12V mode

These bullet points refute what you're saying. Is yours not working?

Also, it's my understanding that the internal resistance of a battery increases as the stored energy increases, so you can't really 'over-charge' a battery. Some people refer to boiling a battery as over-charging. Is this what happened to you?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Yes, I know I need to finish the rest of the walls/ceilings and I need to finish the stereo wiring and clean my poo poo up, but oh well.

Says who? This is AI, not The Automotive Practicality and Wainscoting Appreciatorium.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

For cheap hand tools, you can hardly miss with Harbor Freight. Their wrenches and socket sets are nearly as good as Craftsman or Cobalt and they have the same warranty.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Huh. I'm surprised everyone has had such bad luck. I've never had a socket split on me. The only time I've had trouble with a ratchet was when I had to loosen a lug bolt with one by standing on it and jumping. We're talking 300+ lbs of torque on a 10" 3/8 ratchet.

Now power tools? Don't get me started on those.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I use the Jet version which is identical. They are awesome to the max.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I hate to break it to you, but the Jet version isn't the same. Its very similar, but the guys on h-t did a thread a few years ago comparing them. The rollers and bearings in the Jet are way nicer, which explains its cleaner cuts.
Any reason a guy couldn't just mod it to match?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Bling bling

Why is this so cheap?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

Commoners!

(My jack cost $30 and I work by oil-lamp light on a dirt floor. I used to use candles but this year's been a bit more of "my turn" than others so I upgraded to an oil-lamp. As soon as I opened that first bottle of kerosene, the smell hit me, the smell of movin on up.)

I was gonna say something snarky, but you beat me to it with something better.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

I looked up on https://www.harborfreight.com to see if they had anything like that, they did, price was 5.99 so I decided to go over there for the first time in a couple years and god drat if I didn't end up driving home $60 lighter.

They forced me with their cool stuff for cheap to not let me leave with my fluid pump unless I also bought:
a tow strap (a gift for a friend, he doesn't know it yet but he receives it when I get stuck) $13
4 pack small ratcheting tie-downs (I gotta keep huge TVs compressors and poo poo safe when I jack them from gump-rear end suckas) $13
safety glasses $?
a 3/8" drive thumb wheel / socket handle thing (that I found out when I got home ratchets!) $?
some 3 ton jackstands. (my 2 ton ac delco ones bend and make me nervous, they're made from half the amount of metal as my new ones) $20
and almost a creeper, those scoundrel motherfuckers will probably get me next time on that.

As far as I'm concerned, those are all important things to have. Now go get yourself a 2.5 or 5-gallon bucket to store the tie-downs in. I also use them to store the mountains of scissor-clamps I have laying around.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Any suggestions on a good tool chest for around 300 dollars? Everything near me on Craigslist is either a Kmart POS or a Snap-On monstrosity for 4 grand.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 2, 2009

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

honkykong posted:

I just bought a craftsman box today on sale. 6 drawer bottom and 10 drawer top. If your part of the "Craftsman Club" you buy the bottom and get the top free. Came out to like $355 after tax, deal is good till Sunday.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009H0135000B?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+%26+Tool+Storage

Apparently I'm not a member, so the salesman told me that the store is a club member (IE: the store's phone number).

I'll have to see it in person, but this looks exactly like the HF one that sells for $299.99.
Thanks for the advice, I may put a wanted ad in CL.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

was taking a look at this, but then again, for about 20 dollars more, I can get this and this which is exactly the same dimensions, but powder coated and with ball-bearing slides.

Any advice/opinions/suggestions?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

oxbrain posted:

They don't have the second one in red in the local stores here, just blue with a crying eagle. :patriot:

gently caress, really? I'm gonna check out the Bellevue/Overlake store today and see if they have a sample and can ship it to Everett for me.

Actually, on second thought am AMERICA! gently caress YEAH! tool box with a giant Obama sticker would be kinda awesome. Now I'm crossing my fingers that another 20% off coupon shows up in the mail

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Korwen posted:

Done and Done - any recommended searches? Right now I have "Socket" "Ratchet" and "S-K" set up to search, should I modify these or add some extras?

Another quick question regarding the 3klb aluminum racing jack at HF, it says rated at 3000lb, I mean, it'll be fine for my two cars, both of 3200lb or so, right? that plus the smaller 3 ton jack stands, no need for the bigger ones, right? Might have to go buy those this weekend, or should I wait for a sale?

You're never lifting the entire weight of the car.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Ok, so here's what I ended up with.

I went in with every intention of just buying this.

It goes for $499.00 usually, but they had an open box unit sitting out on the floor for $299.99. I had my trusty 20% off coupon with me which brought the before-tax price down to $239.99. Holy poo poo. Even more surprising was that it fit into my MS3 without removing the casters. It took three guys to load it up. I think it must weight 150 lbs empty.

Build quality is pretty good. The drawers are heavy and smooth. There is a slight lateral gap that allows some slight side to side slop but it's not nearly as bad as any Craftsman for twice the price.
Now I gotta go buy a bunch of rails. My socket collection is a mess.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

ChiliMac posted:

Just so I know--coming from storing all my tools in the packing they come in or thrown in a toolbox--how do you actually organize those things?

However you want. That's the beauty of it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Holy poo poo dude, nice haul. I'm getting excited for garage sale/flea market season.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I was excited by that woot, until I read 1/4 drive. Hopefully woot will have more Stanley recession close outs.

I saw that too and picked it up anyway. It's a good set for using as a drill accessory.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Korwen posted:

Is this 10% off about the best I'm going to get on that 89.99 aluminum racing jack and some of the 3 ton jackstands?

Assuming you get the emails, maybe... Maybe not. 20% coupons have been making the rounds lately.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Phone posted:

I need a heat gun. Is the HF good enough for peeling off vinyl stripes?

I have one that gets occasional duty as a spray paint dryer, heat shrink.... shrinker, etc. Never had any trouble with it. They tend to smoke a little the first couple of times you use them so don't be alarmed.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

hippynerd posted:

I've had a few heat guns. one was almost $100, another was $70, and my last one was $10 (HF). The only difference I've noticed is that that cheapo $10 unit only has 2 heat settings (not variable).

A lighter or soldering iron work in a pinch, but the heat gun always gets better results.

I totally agree with this. Durability seems to have little to do with initial price, though you can usually order replacement elements for the more expensive ones.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Yeah, I just chuck a 21MM on to the trusty 1/2" impact wrench and torque it till it stops.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Korwen posted:

My car has aluminum lugnuts, they feel like plastic in your hands. 85ft-lb of torque for each one. It says in the service manual explicitily "DO NOT USE WITH AN AIR WRENCH EVER" and immediately after has the correct procedure for removing sheared off lugnuts.

Porsche? I remember running across a few 944s that had Al lugnuts.

I just installed one of these and I'm a little confused as to what conditions would activate it. Also, assuming that it's purging out the condensate can I just leave the tank charged up?

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 16, 2009

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Any recommendations for a 3/8 air ratchet? My HF one sticks from time to time and I'm starting to get irritated with it. It's a tool I get a lot of use out of. Hell, I'm fixing a couch and it was handy for that, if you can believe it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

I am sure you know this if its getting unstuck but just in case, WD40 is a cure all for air tools. Especially sticky air ratchets.

Wow, I never would have thought of this. So in the end, moisture is the problem? I've been somewhat liberal with the air tool oil lately hoping that it would fix the problem.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

I am sure you know this if its getting unstuck but just in case, WD40 is a cure all for air tools. Especially sticky air ratchets.

I gotta give you props on this one cause it really did the trick. Fucker works like a tool worth 20 dollars or more. Thanks! I don't know what it did that proper tool oil didn't.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

If memory serves, the barcode is specific to each customer, kinda like the email coupons.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

20% off at HF Coupon! Yaya.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

What? Where I only got a 10% emailed to me.

I see how you rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I used a sander similar to this with the palm trigger and let me tell you, whoever thought putting a piece of hard, angular metal underneath your palm on a vibrating product was a good idea can go gently caress themselves. Your hands are going to hate you and you are going to need help opening jars or holding anything for a few days if you use this sander any length of time.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=antivibration+gloves&Submit=Go
I stand by these and the awesome Oompa-Loompa hands they give you.