Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

Seems like Sears/Craftsman is better, unless someone has had a bad experience with them:

Jack
Pair of stands

Total = $45 and has Craftsman 1 year warranty vs. HF's 90 days. Any comments?

That jack is the exact same rebranded jack you can get at HF and Walmart. I have one and it's dinky and doesn't work very well.

I later purchased the $56 2-1/4 ton jack at HF. Same 2-1/4 ton rating, but a good 5 times bigger than the dinky jack. Only downside is it weighs a ton. I should have gotten the aluminium jack at HF or Northern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003

ASSTASTIC posted:

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that if it spins(angle grinder) or generates heat(cheap heatgun) and its from harbor freight, its poo poo. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There is a lot of inexpensive good stuff there.

I've noticed that a lot of HF stuff is made by the same manufacturer as the more expensive name brand stuff you get at other stores. A lot of the Craftsman jacks are identical. Some of the Craftsman miter saws are the same, with the Craftsman brand having additional cosmetic details. The HF compressor I recently bought is made by Campbell Hausfeld, which can be purchased at Home Depot, Sears, Wal-Mart, and Northern.

If it's a tool made in China you can probably get the same thing for cheaper at HF, especially with the coupons and sales. You just have to deal with the ridiculous orange color scheme.

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003
Not discounting that they might be a clone, but it seemed more likely to me they were made by the same company and rebranded. The picture above is not representative of the type of quality you get at HF, where it's obviously just a scam. I have a number of HF tools along with named brand, and the HF stuff works just as well as my more expensive stuff. I've also had expensive name brand poo poo fall apart on me so that's not limited to HF.

vx15i fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 14, 2009

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003
I have one of those compressors. It was damaged out of the box, twice, but other than that it's been great. Just open the box before you leave.